Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > Military Brethren
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Considering Joining the Air Guard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering Joining the Air Guard
    Posted: May/30/2015 at 11:23pm
I am retired from the Missouri Air National Guard  and I loved it.

Got excellent training,  had a ball and got to see the world in the process.

Wouldn't trade a day of it.

And it adds to my pension each month, and the medical bennies are awesome.

Go for it.  I doubt you will regret it.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
mance rayder View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mance rayder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 9:18pm
One of the best times in my life, active duty army.. 24 aviation home of the taro leaf
You'll never walk alone
JJET View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 7:07pm
Last post was a year ago. Was curious if you went for it and joined or not?

I, myself have been trying to join the Air Guard since I got out of high school. I'm working on my 4 year degree and losing weight.

Have a good one Brothers.

James
James T.
GateCity #32
EA: 28 June        2011
FC: 20 December 2011
MM: 16 April        2012
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Infinity Box Infinity Box wrote:

LOL. I remember my dad almost killing the Army recruiter when he showed up to my house one day after I got out of school. My dad was a seargent major and a pretty tough drill seargent at the time. Needless to say I had a VERY structured childhood.
Same here.  high schoolw as a kind of a pain in the butt when I had to deal with a father who demaanded I act like I was a junior ranking enlisted man and dressed like one (not like that sailor fromt he village people).  i took a lot of crap, but turned out mean as hell for a kid my size. Angry
"Quando Omni Flunkus... Moritati! - Mr. Red Green
Infinity Box View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinity Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 5:01pm
LOL. I remember my dad almost killing the Army recruiter when he showed up to my house one day after I got out of school. My dad was a seargent major and a pretty tough drill seargent at the time. Needless to say I had a VERY structured childhood.
Riverside Lodge #503
Wrightsville, PA.
GL of PA F&AM
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 3:05pm

Originally posted by aogop aogop wrote:

One of my best friends was in the Washington Air National Guard as a cable-splicer for IT networks.  It got him the job he has now.  The pool of really good fiber-optic splicers out there is pretty small, and the jobs available are pretty huge if you don't mind travelling.

I was a Nuclear Mechanic in the Naval Nuclear Power Program on submarines.  With this highly technical training and the experience gained I was able to go start work at a power plant as a Mechanical Maintenance Manager making 3 times more than I was making in the Navy.  I was able to complete 2 degrees while in the Navy as well.

All my travelling days were in the Navy, now I pretty much sit at a desk and try and figure out how to be the boss hehe.  
When I was downrange in Afghanistan, my soldiers (who were quaalified) weren't allowed to splice any fiber.  We always had to wait ont he civilian contractors and that was annoying.  On the other hand, two of them figured out that there was more money for them as civilians, they got out of the Army, and then went right back as contractors.

Bro. Infinity, it's funny you mention being a Nuke.  When i was in High School I was heavily recruited for the Nuke program.  Too bad I hated doing math LOL  well, that aand my mom was a Career Counselor/recruiter and threw the navy recruiter out of the house for lying to me in front of her about quite a few things to get me to sign a contract immediately.
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinity Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2011 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by aogop aogop wrote:

One of my best friends was in the Washington Air National Guard as a cable-splicer for IT networks.  It got him the job he has now.  The pool of really good fiber-optic splicers out there is pretty small, and the jobs available are pretty huge if you don't mind travelling.

I was a Nuclear Mechanic in the Naval Nuclear Power Program on submarines.  With this highly technical training and the experience gained I was able to go start work at a power plant as a Mechanical Maintenance Manager making 3 times more than I was making in the Navy.  I was able to complete 2 degrees while in the Navy as well.

All my travelling days were in the Navy, now I pretty much sit at a desk and try and figure out how to be the boss hehe.  
Riverside Lodge #503
Wrightsville, PA.
GL of PA F&AM
aogop View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aogop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2011 at 1:43pm
JerryP.

PM- Shoreline Lodge#248 F&AM

Shoreline, WA.
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinity Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2011 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Barnacle Bill Barnacle Bill wrote:

Go for it.  Down the road if military service isn't for you, the skills you learn will translate well into the civilian world whether they be of the technical or leadership kind.

I agree, I would not have the job I have today if it weren't for the Navy.

If you have any other questions let me know, outside of my normal rating or job I did a tour as a Navy recruiter while I was in.
Riverside Lodge #503
Wrightsville, PA.
GL of PA F&AM
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2011 at 8:02am
Go for it.  Down the road if military service isn't for you, the skills you learn will translate well into the civilian world whether they be of the technical or leadership kind.
DonNuBreed View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonNuBreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2011 at 12:41am

Have you considered any other branches of military?  What are your future plans in life?
I looked into several and the Air National Guard seemed like the best fit. I have worked around aircraft since I got out of high school (I work at UPS) so I figured it would be a good fit. I really don't want to serve full time but have debated back and forth since my senior year of high school on whether I was going to. I have several family members (not to mention countless Masonic brethren) who have served in the military and I think the experience would be good for me.

My future plans in life are really just to excel in anything I do. I heard a speaker in one of my classes say "I have no specific goals, only the direction I want my life to move in" and thats about the same way I think about things.

Sorry for the late response.....

Edited by DonNuBreed - October/01/2011 at 12:43am
I-7/16/09, P- 8/20/09, R-9/19/09

"Masonry is a song of the human soul...."
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 8:24pm
I commend you for looking into the service as many of us here are either serving or are Veterans.  What do you hope to accomplish by joining?  Is it for experience, education, or what? 

Next, do you have any college under your belt?If you have a 4 year degree you might look into the OTS (Officer Training School) for the Air force or OCS (Officer Candidate School) for other branches.  From what I remember when I joined the Army about 10 years ago and from what my brother, who I commissioned as a 2LT in the air force one month ago today, the Army is the easiest to get into if you want to go the Officer route.

With that being said, there is just as much to learn and gain by being enlisted, but I can only tell you what my basic training and OCS experiences were like as that's all I experienced as an enlisted man, myself.

Last, do some research.  I was fortunate enough to be a Navy Brat and knew the proper time to walk out when all the recruiters told me what I wanted to do instead of listening to what I wanted to do.  Make sure they listen to you and if they tell you what you want to do make them show you in writing the regulations and paperwork justifying their plan.  And a promise is usually no good,but the contract is binding. 

Best of luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.  Feel free to PM if you have questions about the military in general and more especially if you take an interest in going GREEN.  Hoooahhh!
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinity Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 7:58pm
Have you considered any other branches of military?  What are your future plans in life?
Riverside Lodge #503
Wrightsville, PA.
GL of PA F&AM
DonNuBreed View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonNuBreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 2:50pm
I am considering joining the Air National Guard (after debating about it since I was 18), any advice brothers?
I-7/16/09, P- 8/20/09, R-9/19/09

"Masonry is a song of the human soul...."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic