Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > Hobbies & Special Interests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gun Enthusiats ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mikebrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikebrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun Enthusiats ?
    Posted: November/12/2014 at 10:25am
I carry and collect. I alternate depending on my clothing and activity what I am carrying. Usually it is my Springfield Armory 1911 full military spec, but also a .380 llama. I have inherited all my firearms since my grandfather owned a gun shop. I am the third generation in my family to own them and find researching the history of the guns pretty cool especially because they are all older then I am.  In total my wife and I have 8 rifles/shotguns and 10 pistols.
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2014 at 2:34pm
I have a CCP from Kentucky and a LEOSA permit. In warm weather I carry a 642 S&W five shot .38 revolver that I can just slip into my pants pocket. In cool weather I carry a Glock 21SF .45.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
jakebrake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakebrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 9:09am
7.62 x 54r ammo? rather inexpensive, easily found at a gun show in bulk...highly corrosive.
js584 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js584 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 9:34pm
Never really messed with the old WWI foreign military rifles much until my Son (a recently raised MM) bought a Mosin Nagant for 50 bucks the other day. To my surprise it is quite the tack driver. I may hafta find one for me now. Anyone know of the availability and cost of the ammo?
Effingham View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effingham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2013 at 11:36am
Was out at a shooting range with some cousins the other day, and in the cabinet I saw an old German-made (not Interarms, ptui!) .22 cal Walther PPK/S. 

Had to buy it. Just HADTA. :)
jakebrake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakebrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 5:07pm
yes. I carry. typically, it's an m&p 45. however, own an m&p in 9, and one in 40 as well, a springer loaded operator in 45 (I don't like to carry that because it has a rail. finding a holster with a retention system for a railed 1911 seems superfluous). also own ar and ak platforms, and a Mossberg 590 special purpose.

I've always kinda wondered about us and firearms.

guard well the east, brothers.
jimi_stephen View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimi_stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 1:23pm
From what I understand it is without inside of state borders. As the law states now it is illegal to carry a weapon (gun, knife, club, etc.) with an intent to use it unlawfully. There are no other laws or statures that prohibit the carrying of weapons for any reasons.

Raised 8-16-11

edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2013 at 2:07am
Does this mean, Ark citizens can carry 'without' a license? ... or ... a license 'must be' issued if the applicant does not on the list of federally banned status.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
jimi_stephen View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimi_stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 7:57pm
In July Arkansas is going to constitutional carry. I know several people who are quite excited about that.
Raised 8-16-11

Et2ss View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Et2ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 6:11pm
Look at the current offerings from Savage. Dang fine rifle at a really nice price. Not sure if they offer a .338 LM though.

My EDC rotation is between a Sig P245, P225, P228 or the P239 depending on the clothing I am wearing that day. If I am wearing a sport coat then it's my P220 or P226. 
Stormriderjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormriderjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 7:47am
A new question/discussion...

I'm wanting to build a new long range system for competition. I'm really thinking .300 Win Mag or .338 Lapua for the chambering. I've always been schooled to use the Remington 700 as a start, but I'm finding it hard to find what I want in the Remington.  What are some other good platforms with which I can start the build?  I'm wanting a good basic bolt action rifle I can tear down and build up into what I want.  The goal is a rifle that has a range of over 1000 meters with an extended stock (I'm 6'3") and an adjustable check rest. 
Secretary @ Larrabee 131
Stilesville, IN
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2013 at 4:12pm
Spot on droche.

Video here:

It amazes me how many African Americans support the same Democrats, and their policies, that sought and still seek to disarm African Americans. All these strict gun laws in NYC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Chicago largely disarm blacks. Their white counterparts continue to exercise their rights in the suburbs, but Democrats insist on disarming the black people. Democrats continue to be voted into power though, so maybe they deserve it.

Edited by Hyksos - April/09/2013 at 4:16pm
Gainesville Lodge #41
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2013 at 3:36pm
Read this. Very interesting.

http://htwww.telegram.com/article/20130409/NEWS/104099935/1020

Edited by droche - April/09/2013 at 3:38pm
simple man View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simple man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2013 at 11:44pm
I have CCW carry permit Me and edwmax are both NRA Firearms Instructors... I have several I carry I mostly carry a Full size S&W M&P .40cal. I guess it is one of the benefits of being fat LOL.. I tried to post a pic of it in my Holster but could not get pic to attach.. A lot of carrying a pistol is most don't carry  cause it gets uncomfortable to carry all day long.. I wear mine all day and it is very comfy the proper fit and build of the holster is what is important and the #1 reason a lot quit carrying so often or may quit all together.. I make holsters and have put a lot of research into making it as comfortable to wear all day as possible.. A gun does you no good in your car or home if you are confronted in the streets.  
Initiated 03/04/2008
Passed 01/21/2013
Raised 02/04/2013
S.D. Ft. Valley #110
Scribe Chapter Austin #18
I. M. Council H. C. Rigdon #35
C.G. Commandery Ivanhoe #10
32° Valley of Macon
Al Sihah Shrine
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2013 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by dwarven1 dwarven1 wrote:

Greetings, Brethren! Nice to find more Masonic gun nuts; my Lodge has several but more is always better.

Originally posted by clamman clamman wrote:

Go ahead and laugh, but I carry a NAA mini in 22mag.

Wouldn't dream of laughing, Brother! While my normal every day carry is a S&W 637, when my Lodge has degree work or a visitation from the District Deputy, I wear a kilt... and it's tough to fit the 637 in the sporran. But my NAA Mini fits just fine, thank you! 

Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I really need to take the basic firearms course here in Mass. in order to renew my firearms ID card. The Lodge I affiliated with has a number of member who belong to the local rod and gun club and I am pretty sure I could join up with them.

Hello, Brother droche - My Lodge is also in the 23rd Masonic District. If you've previously had an LTC or FID, you do NOT need to take an NRA course again per the MGLs (Mass General Laws)' that's only for first time applicants. Some Chiefs of Police in this armpit like to make it as difficult as possible for their subjects citizens to own guns, though, and make up that requirement out of their own power-hungry, teeny little minds. (Yes, I'm thinking of the COP of Worcester specifically...).

If you still need the course, though, I'm running one next Sunday, 10/21 in Grafton. Email me at dwarven1 at gmail.com if you want more information. Or if you need the name of a good lawyer who can help you get your application viewed better by the local COP, I can help you with that, too - I know a few good ones here in MA who specialize in firearms law.

Sorry I missed this post. I took the course at the Worcester Police Department on Feb 20. My prison guard cousin told me it's easier to get a permit in Worcester if you take the course with them. Now I have to do all the paper work and get two letters of recommendation and my appointment is in September. The earliest one I could get is in July but since I am away July and August I made one for September. The permits here are issued by the police chief and from what I hear, this chief in Worcester is tough, but if I get a permit there are a couple of clubs I am looking into that are always looking for members. I'll get my .303 back and would also like to purchase a S&W revolver. On April 27 I am going to be on a shooting team for my lodge at an event sponsored by another lodge. Looking forward to it.
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2013 at 5:28pm
I think it's a great piece, but still can't help but look at one and think of Han Solo's blaster.
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
Effingham View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effingham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2013 at 4:00pm
I have to show my baby. 

Ever since I was a kid I wanted a broomhandle. MWA HA HA!

Tony
Mosaic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mosaic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2013 at 10:09pm
Ruger P95 Thumbs Up
I: 8/2/2012
P: 9/6/2012
R: 11/12/12
797mason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 797mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2012 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Barnacle Bill Barnacle Bill wrote:

CCW here and I have enough gear to start a small scale war in my neighborhood.  My favorite carry weapons are an Xd-45 and a Taurus Judge.  I can easily conceal them and they work fine for me.

My wife an I both have shotguns and we enjoy trap/skeet shooting along with using the Judge to shoot some clays out of the air.
Where in gods name do you conceal a judge? It's a cannon! Awesome shoot though. I have a Taurus PT92. Good enough for what I need.
Past Master Valley Lodge 797
Past High Priest Tremont Chapter 221
Past Grand Tall Cedar Millersburg forest 125
Past Thrice Illustrious Master Regal council 65
E. Commander Prince of Peace Commandry 39
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2012 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Stormriderjd Stormriderjd wrote:

@ Clayman...I love my .45 Springfield XD.  First pistol I've liked more than my old 1911.  My only complaint is that the magazines for it are pretty expensive.  I had to get the tactical model as the standard grip is to small in my hands. 
Been carrying since I was 20 and now hold a lifetime carry license in Indiana.
I hunt deer with a .44 mag lever action rifle.  Thing is wickedly accurate out to over 100 meters.

Looking to buy a new tactical rifle (AR10) and a long range rifle (.308 or .300 Win Mag) for training and competition.

I carry the long barrel, tactical version of the XD-54 as my CCW weapon.  It is a great piece of machinery.
"Quando Omni Flunkus... Moritati! - Mr. Red Green
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2012 at 5:04pm
Tis better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.  Guns int he right hands can be The Great Equalizer.  Here's one of those millions of "what-ifs:"

What if, lets say, a petite 100lb woman (not sure the metric measurement) was assaulted by a much larger person of say double her size or wot-not.  I doubt she could over power him or her, but keeping her distance, her cool, and pulling the weapon could keep her safe.

Again, this is one of those many "what-ifs," but unfortunately I have seen it work well and a couple times I've had to do it. 

I respect the rule of law and the police, but they are not a personal protection or body guard force and it's my opinion that they get there to she scene of the crime after it's been committed unless they are doing traffic stops.  Please don't take this to mean I have no respect for the police or law enforcement, but that's what they are:  LAW Enforcement.  They are not body guards and can't possibly perform the role.  Informed, law abiding citizens with proper training are much safer in my opinion when they are confident enough to protect themselves when time is of the essence.

Bro. Barnacle
"Quando Omni Flunkus... Moritati! - Mr. Red Green
Stormriderjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormriderjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 5:23am
@ Clayman...I love my .45 Springfield XD.  First pistol I've liked more than my old 1911.  My only complaint is that the magazines for it are pretty expensive.  I had to get the tactical model as the standard grip is to small in my hands. 
Been carrying since I was 20 and now hold a lifetime carry license in Indiana.
I hunt deer with a .44 mag lever action rifle.  Thing is wickedly accurate out to over 100 meters.

Looking to buy a new tactical rifle (AR10) and a long range rifle (.308 or .300 Win Mag) for training and competition.

Edited by Stormriderjd - October/19/2012 at 7:51pm
Secretary @ Larrabee 131
Stilesville, IN
clamman View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clamman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2012 at 2:38pm
Well I sold the Mini and bought a Springfield XDS.  That thing is sweet!

Past Master, Franklin #109 AF&AM
farmerjoe View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmerjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2012 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by 2sondad 2sondad wrote:

.  I also gave up all my guns when I got married and had kids.  I do not trust my kids to not figure out how to get into a gun safe!  They have gotten into more locked places than I can count.

I have to admit to getting the bug again though. 

I only recently got a safe, because of a 4-H rifle class, but before that, my two kids knew that if they wanted to go shoot, they only had to ask. I also showed them what would happen to their fingers if they ever touched any of my guns without my consent. (picture 1/2 in dowels snapping)

For nine years, they never touched a single one, either.
Joe L Van Dyke,PM Inspector, 834th District, Grand Lodge of California

'To always industriously strive to acquire useful knowledge to put forth to good use'.
dwarven1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwarven1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2012 at 4:34pm
Greetings, Brethren! Nice to find more Masonic gun nuts; my Lodge has several but more is always better.

Originally posted by clamman clamman wrote:

Go ahead and laugh, but I carry a NAA mini in 22mag.

Wouldn't dream of laughing, Brother! While my normal every day carry is a S&W 637, when my Lodge has degree work or a visitation from the District Deputy, I wear a kilt... and it's tough to fit the 637 in the sporran. But my NAA Mini fits just fine, thank you! 

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I really need to take the basic firearms course here in Mass. in order to renew my firearms ID card. The Lodge I affiliated with has a number of member who belong to the local rod and gun club and I am pretty sure I could join up with them.

Hello, Brother droche - My Lodge is also in the 23rd Masonic District. If you've previously had an LTC or FID, you do NOT need to take an NRA course again per the MGLs (Mass General Laws)' that's only for first time applicants. Some Chiefs of Police in this armpit like to make it as difficult as possible for their subjects citizens to own guns, though, and make up that requirement out of their own power-hungry, teeny little minds. (Yes, I'm thinking of the COP of Worcester specifically...).

If you still need the course, though, I'm running one next Sunday, 10/21 in Grafton. Email me at dwarven1 at gmail.com if you want more information. Or if you need the name of a good lawyer who can help you get your application viewed better by the local COP, I can help you with that, too - I know a few good ones here in MA who specialize in firearms law.
Wor Ross Schacher
Associate Secretary & Webmaster, Franklin Lodge AF&AM
Grafton, MA
http://mastermason.com/franklinlodge
Trent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2012 at 2:20pm
My Grandfather who fought in World War 2 passed two of his guns down, hopefully at some point I will end up with one or both.

Those of you who are interested in personal stories of the WW2 time can find more information here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_C._Aanenson or Google his name. He did his own doc called "A Fighter Pilots Story" and also played a role in Ken Burns "The War".

Moose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 4:31pm
should be a cheap fix, at worst you would need a bolt but that's doubtful.  Probably just a spring or the firing pin.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Hyksos Hyksos wrote:

tm,

I believe they meant that the gun 'doesn't fire' one out of every twenty shots. I don't think they mean that it will fire randomly.

That is exactly what I meant. Squeeze the trigger- click but no bang.
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 12:51pm
tm,

I believe they meant that the gun 'doesn't fire' one out of every twenty shots. I don't think they mean that it will fire randomly.
Gainesville Lodge #41
Moose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 11:53am
It misfires??????? Confused
That is a dangerous rifle, my friend and I'd get rid of it.

Some types of misfires can be dangerous, like firing out of battery but a bolt action like this shouldn't be a problem.  Probably the firing pin tip is worn or the spring needs to be replaced.
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 9:26am
I have a Winchester 1892 (built in 1896) in 38-40. That is a bad load because it is to big for small game but to small for big game. It is still fun to fire. I also have a colt 1911 built in 1945. That is my wife's favorite pistol.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by tm274 tm274 wrote:

We don't hear much about the Winchester rifle, which I have heard........"Won the West"
Does anyone here own one or the Colt 45.?

Why is it dangerous? I guess it would be in combat or if a bear was attacking me but I would only be using it on a rifle range. As Ed said, it probably just needs a new firing pin.

Few years ago I saw a nice Winchester lever action 30:06 or 30:30, I cant remember, at the Gander Mountain Store outside of Minneapolis. They wanted $450 for it. I would love to have had it.

Edited by droche - June/10/2012 at 9:24pm
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 7:06pm
I have a 1911 colt 45 (goldcup), but not the 'Peace Maker' you refer to.

I believe Colt may still have some 2011 limited editions available.

Edited by edwmax - June/10/2012 at 7:07pm

Thomasville 369
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 6:43pm

The rifle I own is a Golden State Arms .303. Does anyone know anything about this rifle and company? Never heard of Golden State Arms outside of this rifle. My understanding is they bought a bunch of surplus Enfield .303's from the British Government after WWI who sold them to pare down their war debt. The stock was cut back to about mid-barrel from its previous end of the barrel length. I don't know if any other modifications were made. The rifle I own misfires about 1 in every 20 shots. I bought it in 1978 for $80 when I was stationed in Idaho. I haven't used it in Massachusetts since I had a difficult time finding a place to fire it and now I would have to go back and take a course to renew my firearm ID card. I am keeping it at my cousin's house, he being a prison guard and having all the necessary permits.

We don't hear much about the Winchester rifle, which I have heard........"Won the West"
Does anyone here own one or the Colt 45.?
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 6:20pm
Yeah, its nuts here. 30 yrs ago all one had to do to get an FID card in Mass. was go to the police chief in town, he would run a background check and if it came back OK you got a card. I thought it was good for life. Then I found out I had to take a course so I was illegal. Thats why I gave the rifle to my cousin until I take the course.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 2:30pm
I reviewed the Mass. firearm laws ... wow .. you have to have a FIC license before even buying a weapon, air rifle or ammo.    ... Here in Georgia you don't and it is legal to carry a loaded weapon in your car, business, & home without a license.    I've been licensed to carry since 1977.    With a license, I don't have a waiting period and the store does not have to do a background check when buying a weapon.

Thomasville 369
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 1:19pm
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 1:09pm
The history of golden State can be read here http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_santafe.html

They didn't manufacture guns, be re-manufactured surplus weapons.  The sporterized weapons were refitted with after-market/civilian market stocks because the receivers were without a stock or the stock was broken.   There plenty of surplus receivers & parts never assembled into completed weapons at the end of the war.

The Enfield 303 was a very good shooting rifle. It's bullet has a flat profile and made a good sniper & target rifle.   ... I would have your rifle checked and the miss fire repaired.  Most likely it is from a worn part(s) (firing pin??).

Thomasville 369
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 10:36am
The rifle I own is a Golden State Arms .303. Does anyone know anything about this rifle and company? Never heard of Golden State Arms outside of this rifle. My understanding is they bought a bunch of surplus Enfield .303's from the British Government after WWI who sold them to pare down their war debt. The stock was cut back to about mid-barrel from its previous end of the barrel length. I don't know if any other modifications were made. The rifle I own misfires about 1 in every 20 shots. I bought it in 1978 for $80 when I was stationed in Idaho. I haven't used it in Massachusetts since I had a difficult time finding a place to fire it and now I would have to go back and take a course to renew my firearm ID card. I am keeping it at my cousin's house, he being a prison guard and having all the necessary permits.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 10:09am
I think the current topic of events has about run it's course, unless something else happens in the Aussie news.   Contrary to what many in OZ want others to believe, guns are not illegal there, just hard to obtain and own legally.

My comment was about the media 'hype' and the obvious bias reporting.  I understand the 2 individuals has had legal problems in the past, but what the media was doing is bad, uncalled for.   ... It is ironic (per TM's post above), the Aussie Swimming Com has condoned and sponsored the other team members to attend a firing range, handle and fire weapons, but punished these 2 for having a picture taken holding legal weapons.

The same media tacits are used in the US by some Media and anti-gun people.

Thomasville 369
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 8:21am
Well, like I said, it was just an observation. It seems to me though that the subject is "Hobbies and Special Interests" and the thread is gun enthusiasts so, I would think the thread should be about those who are involved somehow and supportive of guns.

I too am not involved with guns; I do own a rifle which hasn't been fired since 1979, and from 1980 to 1984 I was in the US Coast Guard Reserve and I had to qualify annually with the M-16, 12 guage shotgun and .45 caliber pistol and that is the extent of my involvement with firearms. So I have no dog in this fight, but I do recall another thread being shut down a week or so ago when the discussion, while lively, was civil, and in another thread when the topic drifted slightly (IMO) off topic a warning was issued, so I do see some inconsistency.
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 6:25am

Just an observation, this thread is turning from a discussion amongst gun enthusiasts into a  debate about the morality of private citizens to own and carry firearms. I don't think that was the original intent of the thread.

Droche...I'm going to have to differ on this as what is is construed as a gun enthusiast differs greatly between other countries.
The term "gun entusiast" can be interpreted in many ways, therefore any one with a view on guns can be viewed as such.
 What I posted was a story on two "gun enthusiasts"(our dimwit Olympic swimmers, who have a "troublesome past),  posing with guns and at the time it was regarded as harmless, but unfortunately, it was seen by NON enthusiasts as harmful and the actions which followed were, IMHO, unjust and I will say again..........I'm not a gun enthusiast, but I do believe in fair play.
Members of this forum are entitled to a follow-up, which I think they will find "AMUSING" and here is the follow up.: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/london-olympics/sullivan-backs-gun-pose-teammates/story-fn9di2lk-1226390466634
These swimmers are now being punished by the AOC as they will be flown home immediately after their events, but what has eventuated since is mind boggling.
It smacks of hypocrisy.
Briefly.....The Australian Swimming Committee took the swim  team out to a rifle range and let them blast away as part of a "bonding session" and now the Australian Olympic Committee have egg on their faces.
Stayed tuned, folks.

Discussions on guns will always lead to "different" opinions, but you just can't sweep the issue under the carpet and hope that it will "just go away".
Were this thread one of arguement, I''d have no hesitation and "LOCK" it, but up-to-date, it has been cordial, so I'm advocating that as long as it stays that way, it should continue.

Edited by tm274 - June/10/2012 at 6:55am
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 7:55pm
Just an observation, this thread is turning from a discussion amongst gun enthusiasts into a  debate about the morality of private citizens to own and carry firearms. I don't think that was the original intent of the thread.
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 6:55pm
It is clear that I will not change your minds and you will not change mine.

I am reminded of Albert Einstein's famous quote,

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

I don't mind being accused of being insane, but never boring!

Please take care and don't shoot yourselves in the foot.

The Carrington Lodge (WAC 363)
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
18th Boucaut RC (AASR Australia 5)
The Carrington Lodge

Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 10:04am
Originally posted by edwmax edwmax wrote:

Originally posted by jaya jaya wrote:

My wife's aunt is very anti-gun. .....  pulled one out of my pocket and laid it on the table. .... Funny thing is that my brother-in-law put one on the table as well and we thought she was going to go nuts. She even asked if they were loaded. We told her that they would be useless if they were not.

....    ....

"If it doesn't work...you can always hit him with it."
Gainesville Lodge #41
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 10:02am
Originally posted by daves daves wrote:

No not hype - it is mostly criminals in Australia that carry firearms. 

That happens here too. The reason so many people have guns is because criminals have them and don't obey the law. It's illegal for a felon to be in possession of a firearm, but they still carry them. The part I don't understand about the Aussie situation is that instead of allowing the law abiding citizens to carry, they make it almost impossible for the lawful citizen to own one.

Criminals already don't follow the law. Why would you give them the advantage by letting them know that they can run around and commit crimes with almost no fear of being killed in retaliation?
Gainesville Lodge #41
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 9:48am
Originally posted by jaya jaya wrote:

My wife's aunt is very anti-gun. .....  pulled one out of my pocket and laid it on the table. .... Funny thing is that my brother-in-law put one on the table as well and we thought she was going to go nuts. She even asked if they were loaded. We told her that they would be useless if they were not.

....    ....

Thomasville 369
2sondad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2sondad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 9:39am
I carried at one point, but it isn't legal in California.  I had a very small shot to get a CCW when I worked for the sheriff's dept, but in most counties here, you can forget it.  I also gave up all my guns when I got married and had kids.  I do not trust my kids to not figure out how to get into a gun safe!  They have gotten into more locked places than I can count.

I have to admit to getting the bug again though. 
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 9:29am
But a the time and place of the photo, possession of the guns was not illegal. That is Media hype to infer these persons are criminal because they did hold the guns.

Possession of Firearms is not illegal in Australia, just tightly controlled.  Thus making anyone possessing and using a firearm for otherwise lawful purpose a criminal if not licensed; while real Criminals don't care.   ... To own an air rifle or paintball marker/gun requires a 28 day wait period and firearms license.  ... ridicules ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

So all of this is about the 'Gun Control Australia' pr that anyone who owns or possess firearms is a criminal regardless of whether or not the firearms are legally own & licensed.   ... Again this is media hype ...   Mind control of the masses ...!!!

Edited by edwmax - June/09/2012 at 10:28am

Thomasville 369
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 8:52am
Originally posted by edwmax edwmax wrote:

Originally posted by Hyksos Hyksos wrote:

That's insanity that those guys are being hated for posing with a gun! They weren't even in Australia at the time! I'm in awe after reading that article.

Just Aussie media hype that if one even holds a gun, he must be a criminal.    ... The media would do the same in the US, if it wasn't a known fact that guns are not illegal.

No not hype - it is mostly criminals in Australia that carry firearms. As I said in my earlier post we must agree to differ and respect each other's views in this matter, but I hope that your reaction to my post, which reflects my honestly held opinions, isn't indicative of your reactions when carrying a gun.

BTW both of the boofheads shown holding the firearms have been guilty of criminal behaviour - one was responsible for a savage attack on a fellow athlete that required extensive facial reconstructive surgery, and the other was guilty of lying to the police about a road traffic incident. So I suppose maybe the Aussie press does have a point. Maybe the Aussie magistrates should have thrown both of them in the slammer and then they wouldn't have been allowed into the US to have their pictures taken in the first place and we wouldn't now be having this conversation.

Look you have your honestly held opinions, and I have mine. Let's agree to differ because I know you won't change my opinion and I strongly suspect I won't change yours.

S&F

Dave

Edited by daves - June/09/2012 at 9:00am
The Carrington Lodge (WAC 363)
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
18th Boucaut RC (AASR Australia 5)
The Carrington Lodge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic