Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Masonic Elections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masonic Elections
    Posted: January/04/2012 at 5:04pm
During the Masonic Election process... Is there a qourum mandated on how may members(Master Masons) should be present in order to hold elections... ie... Should there be 7 in order to hold the elections. Would an election be considered illegal if you have less than the required number..
fireman99 View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireman99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by jonb jonb wrote:

During the Masonic Election process... Is there a qourum mandated on how may members(Master Masons) should be present in order to hold elections... ie... Should there be 7 in order to hold the elections. Would an election be considered illegal if you have less than the required number..

I am gonna have to say that is based on the rules and regs of your Grand Lodge..... fortunately we have some well informed Brothers on here from the great state of Florida that just may be able to help you on this...
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 5:38pm
As far as I can tell, no. If you have enough to open a lodge then you have enough to vote . . . again as far as I can tell. The members do have to have notice(30 days I believe) of the vote.

Might I ask why you asked?
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SD
Jacksonville 12 R.A.M. - CoH
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 5:40pm
Maybe CoachN or Taz can shed some more light in the matter.
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SD
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
MattShelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattShelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 5:57pm
A legal quorum as defined by the Masonic Law book of your state is all that is required.  In Michigan, that number is 5 with the WM or a Warden as one of the 5.
Matt Shelton, PM 1997
Pontiac No. 21
Pontiac, MI
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 6:03pm
Moved it to the masonic discussion board.

@BigBob, what's going on?
E: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10
MW Prince Hall GL of Alabama F&AM

I'm a moderator?

"You can't trust those fellowcrafts...bunch of rogues and murderers!"
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 6:30pm
@Caution

As far as?
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SD
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 6:34pm
LOL. Exchanging pleasantries brother.

I'm a moderator?

3DistinctKnocks View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3DistinctKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 8:12pm
I've never heard that a certain number of MM's to are needed to have a legal vote.  But common sense tells me that you'd at least need enough to open the Lodge...but that's just a guess on my part.  Good question though!
Past Master
Pontotoc Lodge #81 F.&A.M.
OES Pontotoc Chapter #42
The Trestle Board
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 8:38pm
I'd say if you are having an issue with attendance on a voting night you have a serious problem. I've always heard how people you never see the entire year show up and I can say that this was certainly true at my lodge this year.

@ Caution- Sorry brother, you caught me off guard with that one...lol. But I'm doing good sir, one year older and still none the wiser.
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SD
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 8:44pm
LOL. I feel that.

FYI, if you are still interested in participating in that discussion, let me know. I know you may have quite a few questions/clarifications of clandestine masonry. You can contribute or observe. It's open and I'm inviting you.

I'm a moderator?

daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 9:26pm
I'm fairly certain that if there iks to be a ballot in our Lodges, a notice of motion has to be read out the previous meeting and it must be included in the Lodge summons.
The Carrington Lodge (WAC 363)
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
18th Boucaut RC (AASR Australia 5)
The Carrington Lodge

GAmastermason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAmastermason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 11:50pm
i dont know about Florida but in Georgia all members are required to vote and a brother is elected to a position by 2/3 majority vote. Members arent notified of elections its a long held tradition that election of officers happens on the last meeting of the year in December. Our lodges only meet once in December.
jonb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 7:25am
thankyou all for your responses... What I was wanting to find out was there a Masonic Law that states that there MUST be 7 MM's in attendance.. So lets say that only 6 show up on olelction night.. Can we still hold an election or must there be a qourum of 7 no matter what. Of course you cant open up from the 1st and go up to the 3rd.. We would have enuf to just open up on the MM Degree but my qourum is does the qourum rule come into effect...if there is one...
fireman99 View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireman99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 7:46am
Again... that is going to be a specific rule for the Grand Lodge of Florida.... but for a general statement, I would say as long as you have enough to open a Lodge then you have enough to have a legal vote...for example in my Lodge if we were required to have a 2/3 majority of the membership present to vote we would have to shut the doors... because A) We couldnt legally get that many in our building (fire code violation) B) There is no way we could even get that many to show up if we could get them in the building..... So, I may be wrong, I am not an expert on masonic law but I would bet all that is needed is the amount needed to legally open the lodge....any above that minimum would be just extras and a plus.
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 8:08am
@jonb

I went though the Florida digest on Masonic law five times and I couldn't find anything that stated how many members were needed for a vote. If you would like to look for yourself you can go to the GL's website and view it there.
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SD
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Z111 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 10:36am
Originally posted by BigBob BigBob wrote:

@jonb

I went though the Florida digest on Masonic law five times and I couldn't find anything that stated how many members were needed for a vote. If you would like to look for yourself you can go to the GL's website and view it there.

I've done likewise Bro Bob and could find nothing about a quorum.
"You cannot do square work by cutting corners."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattShelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 10:44am
Just took a look myself.  Check 25.17 to define the number for a quorum.  If you have a legal number to meet, you have a legal number to vote.
Matt Shelton, PM 1997
Pontiac No. 21
Pontiac, MI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattShelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 10:47am
Originally posted by MattShelton MattShelton wrote:

Just took a look myself.  Check 25.17 to define the number for a quorum.  If you have a legal number to meet, you have a legal number to vote.

The way I'm reading it, the number is 3 members of the Lodge, plus a tyler (can be a member of another Lodge) as it appears voting must be in the MM degree.  Didn't do a complete read-through, so not sure if the presence of a Warden or WM is required as one of the 3.
Matt Shelton, PM 1997
Pontiac No. 21
Pontiac, MI
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 11:55am
Asked a WM in my jurisdiction.

He told me 3 at minimum

I'm a moderator?

tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 5:25pm
With an event so important as this, the WM should chase up as many as he can in order to get a good attendance.
Recently, we had a ballot and as WM, I chased up as many members as I could and the results were better than I anticipated.

I'd be VERY disappointed if 3 showed up. Cry
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
bdsnook43 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdsnook43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2012 at 8:06am
I'm unaware of anything in the digest or otherwise that states a quorum, outside of the minimum to open in the 3rd.  I suppose individual lodge bylaws could be amended, with permission from the Grand Master, to set such a number.  But, I highly doubt they would allow it.

This gem could give the power to the WM to decide though...

20.08 It is the prerogative and duty of the Worshipful Master to postpone the transaction of any Lodge business when, from small attendance of the members, or other good reason, the interests of the Craft require it; but, ordinarily, the business should not be delayed solely on account of small attendance.

Hillsborough Lodge 25 –JD | Valley of Tampa | Egypt Shrine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic