Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning an Apron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstar26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning an Apron
    Posted: April/04/2012 at 11:04pm
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice to cleaning an apron. I've recently started collecting some masonic memoribilia, and have aquired my first vintage apron. It's a master's apron from 1959 and the lambskin has kind of yellowed. Just wondering if anyone had any advice to give it its nice white color back before I frame it for my den. Also it must have been stored in a trunk somewhere and has a slight musty smell to it, any advice on getting that smell out?
E: June 21 2011
P: Nov 15 2011
R: Apr 11 2012
MasonicFirefighter View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasonicFirefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 11:17pm
"Us few good men need to stand together in Light to avoid darkness"

E: 8/2/2011
P: 11/15/2011
R: 3/5/2012

Acacia Lodge #169 (Demitted)
Carolina Lodge #375
Hanahan Ch. #250 O.E.S.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 6:08am
You could contact the Museum of National Heritage in Lexington, Mass., run by the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction of Scottish Rite.  They restore all sorts of Masonic regalia.
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 6:50am
There is a spray on product for upholstered furniture that is called "Febreze" and it might help  with the musty smell.  You might want to try it on a small area on the back of the apron first before applying it to the front, just in case it doesn't do what you want.  Good luck with your restoration.  Also, Droche's idea sounds good, too.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
MasonicFirefighter View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasonicFirefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 8:15am
I agree, Febreeze is an awesome product and I forgot to mention that in my original post, got so caught up in looking for information on how to clean lambskin.

Edited by MasonicFirefighter - April/05/2012 at 4:57pm
"Us few good men need to stand together in Light to avoid darkness"

E: 8/2/2011
P: 11/15/2011
R: 3/5/2012

Acacia Lodge #169 (Demitted)
Carolina Lodge #375
Hanahan Ch. #250 O.E.S.
rstar26 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstar26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 11:16am
Thanks for all the wonderful advice everyone! Looking forward to getting going on the restoration!
CAMB.MASON View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAMB.MASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 11:42am
If it is has that musty smell then it has been around water or dampness.  Let it sit in the sun for a while and bake.  Turn it around and do the same for the back and lift the flap.  This will kill any mold that may be on it and help with the smell.  You can clean them, but I would recommend not to. Leave it except for the smell the way it is. Most of our in our collection are untouched and will remain that way.  You can cause damage to it if not professionally done by a restorer.
I remain Fraternally Yours:

Curator & Historian
Cambridge Masonic Temple Cambridge, Massachusetts

rstar26 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstar26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by CAMB.MASON CAMB.MASON wrote:

If it is has that musty smell then it has been around water or dampness.  Let it sit in the sun for a while and bake.  Turn it around and do the same for the back and lift the flap.  This will kill any mold that may be on it and help with the smell.  You can clean them, but I would recommend not to. Leave it except for the smell the way it is. Most of our in our collection are untouched and will remain that way.  You can cause damage to it if not professionally done by a restorer.

Thank you! This will find it's way out into the sun when it starts shining again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic