Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preston Lectures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bro. Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preston Lectures
    Posted: November/22/2012 at 7:03pm
I've been AWOL a while as real life tends to get in the way of cyberfun.  It is good to see the forum is active as ever!  I hope y'all have been well. 
I am doing a little research and need some help: Can anyone lead me to an electronic copy of William Preston's First lecture of Freemasonry published in 1775?  ...or anything from the 1770's through the 1790's would be outstanding.

Thanks!
Derita Lodge #715
Knights of Solomon Lodge #764
Wilkerson College Lodge #760
Mike Martin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 8:03am
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 8:09am
These are on the internet.  Just search for 'Preston Illustrations of Freemasonry'

I have all his editions on a copy righted CD from the Freemasonry University of Sheffiel.
"Until you realize that your viewpoint is incomplete and that's '_' viewpoint is complete, only then can you become teachable in the Mysteries of '_'."

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Mike Martin Mike Martin wrote:

No problem, this is an online version: http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924030313070#page/n7/mode/2up

Is there a download link for this?    I find links are unreliable for future reference and use.
"Until you realize that your viewpoint is incomplete and that's '_' viewpoint is complete, only then can you become teachable in the Mysteries of '_'."

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 8:22am
disregard ... I found it.

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
Bro. Donnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bro. Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 8:52am
Thanks Bro!  Thumbs Up
I have alwasy wondered if Preston actually authored these lectures in total or in part as they are most often listed under A. Lewis, sometimes those biblio's only show Lewis as the complier.  Have you seen a doc of the lectures where Preston ever took authorial ownership in written form?  ...easier said, do you know of an earlier version published indicating Preston as the author.

Edited by Bro. Donnie - November/23/2012 at 8:58am
Derita Lodge #715

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bro. Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 8:57am
Bro. Ed, I'm feeling kinda lazy today after pigging out on all that tryptophan and sugar yesterday Pig
...do you have a link to a U. Sheffield site where a fellow might order a copy of that CD?
Derita Lodge #715
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 9:10am
William Preston was not the author of these lectures, to be fair and accurate he was the Compiler and Editor. He travelled the country interviewing members of old Lodges to compile the material.

A Lewis is the Publisher and ther are alternate versions depending on which workings the Ritual of the Ceremonies comes from. These are from the "Perfect Ceremonies" my bound copy is from the "Emulation" school and there is also a "Taylor's" variant.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bro. Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 9:32am
Thanks Bro.
What is the earliest publication of them that you know of?
Derita Lodge #715
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2012 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Bro. Donnie Bro. Donnie wrote:

Bro. Ed, I'm feeling kinda lazy today after pigging out on all that tryptophan and sugar yesterday Pig
...do you have a link to a U. Sheffield site where a fellow might order a copy of that CD?

I received the CD from a secretary at the University. The CD was out of print then and only a few were left.  ...  I think the "Center for Research into Freemasonry" at the University of Sheffiel has since closed.   Dr. Andrew Prescot was the head of the Center and his lectures & papers might be of some help to you.    ... Sorry, I no long have the her name (secretary) or her email address.

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2012 at 4:40am
Originally posted by Bro. Donnie Bro. Donnie wrote:

What is the earliest publication of them that you know of?

IIRC, they were first published in the late 1770s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic