Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worshipful Master Greeting...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcusicklodge232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worshipful Master Greeting...
    Posted: January/10/2013 at 8:50am
We have our District Deputy Grand Master's official visit coming up in 2 months and I am struggling to come up with my greeting dialogue.  I know this might seem like old hat to some of you but I'm not the best when it comes to making up greetings and such... And I'm not referring to just Greeting the District Deputy, but the visiting worshipful master... any suggestions on greeting them as well?

If anyone has some suggestions they could post here, i would really greatly appreciate it. 
Worshipful Master - La Belle Vallee Lodge No. 232

If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. — Ben Franklin
Nero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 11:45am
Greeting a Master of a sister Lodge ? I always found "Hello brother " along with some other niceties such as "Pleasure to have you here" works just fine for District Deputies and other lodge Masters alike .

Edited by Nero - January/10/2013 at 11:50am
excellencee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote excellencee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 3:13pm
If your looking for a greeting to give from the East, we always use: "Mahoning - New Castle Lodge #243 extends to you warm and fraternal greeting and hope your evening spent with us is a pleasurable one". It's my understanding that that greeting is a long standing tradition in our lodge. We use that greeting for all visitors from DDGM on down. I think I heard our RWGM greeted in that fashion.

Edited by excellencee - January/10/2013 at 3:15pm
Worshipful Master - Mahoning-New Castle Lodge 243
AASR Valley of New Castle
Hiram's Scottish Riders - Charter Member
Syria Shrine
tcusicklodge232 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcusicklodge232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 7:55am
Originally posted by excellencee excellencee wrote:

If your looking for a greeting to give from the East, we always use: "Mahoning - New Castle Lodge #243 extends to you warm and fraternal greeting and hope your evening spent with us is a pleasurable one". It's my understanding that that greeting is a long standing tradition in our lodge. We use that greeting for all visitors from DDGM on down. I think I heard our RWGM greeted in that fashion.

Thank you for sharing this, I really like it and I think i will talk to our Past Masters and see if they have anything like this archived away in their memory.  If not I might be borrowing this and tweeking it slightly for our own purposes.
Worshipful Master - La Belle Vallee Lodge No. 232

If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. — Ben Franklin
ga.mason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga.mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 9:14am
In our jurisdiction there is a uniform way the DDGM and the GM are received. Check in your area to see if there is a standard to follow.

Im sorry. I see you were looking for a reply to the reception itself. Use your imagination, you will do fine. Good luck!

Edited by ga.mason - January/11/2013 at 9:17am
Snellville Lodge#99

Snellville,Georgia

Past Master 2011

2009 Mason of the Year (Snellville #99)

2011 Lodge of the Year (9th District)

DDGM Ninth District, Subdistrict F
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 9:21am
Check with your GL; education committee; Custodian of Works (???).  I suspect there is a prescribed ritual/procedure & wording that you should be using for the reception of the DDGM or a GM on 'Official' business.

Our School of Instruction just went over this last month.

If this is not an 'Official' visit, then 'Hello Worshipful Brother & welcome' is all that is necessary.  These Brothers are very well know and do not need special introductions listing all their accomplishments.  
"Until you realize that your viewpoint is incomplete and that's '_' viewpoint is complete, only then can you become teachable in the Mysteries of '_'."

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
Adrian N. Gollop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian N. Gollop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 10:02am
Most Worshipful (entire name), and give him a hand of friendship.
"Be True to what you do, and what you do will be True to you." ~ Adrian N. Gollop
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 3:01pm
Masonic Protocol... entire books could be written (and I suspect have been) on the topic!

In general, the rule is [Honorific] Brother A.B.

While you are a Mason in good standing, you will always earn the right to be addressed with the highest respective title held... "Worshipful, Right Worshipful, etc." in our jurisdiction, Past Grand Masters are still referred to as "Most Worshipful," however, some jurisdictions reserve this honorific for the presiding Grand Master, and Past Grand Masters are referred to as "Right Worshipful" or "Right Worshipful Sir."

Summary for our Jurisdiction:
Any current or Past Master should be referred to as "Worshipful Brother"
Any current or Past Grand Line (or elected) Officer should be referred to as "Right Worshipful Brother"
Any current or Past Grand Master should be referred to as "Most Worshipful Brother"

In our jurisdiction, DDGMs are always at least a Past Master, not sure if any past Grand Officer has later served as DDGM, if so, they could be called "Right Worshipful" or even "Most Worshipful" as appropriate.

Few will be slighted if you refer to them as Brother, some may make corrections, but any attempt to show respect or honor, where duly earned should be appreciated. These are not royal courts, but the halls of brotherhood and equality.
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 3:22pm
We have a separate book called "The Trestleboard" that has all this stuff in it. It's all in "cleartext", so I doubt it's considered secret. I've also seen it done in front of families at Installations. 

Greeting the DDGM starts with sending the Marshall out at the appointed time to "determine if the District Deputy Grand Master is in the anteroom". He comes back with the District Deputy Grand Marshall who is introduced as "Right Worshipful District Deputy Grand Marshall Leonard Bones Mc Coy" Who then announces "The Right Worshipful James Tiberius Kirk, District Deputy Grand Master for the twelfth Masonic District, sends his warm fraternal greetings and wishes me to inform you that he is in the anteroom for the purpose of a Fraternal Visit to your lodge."  The Master then says, "Right Worshipful District Deputy Grand Marshall, please convey the warm fraternal greetings of Ancient York Lodge and inform the Right Worshipful District Deputy Grand Master James Tiberius Kirk that we will await his Fraternal Visit by Committee." The Master then appoints the committee and the chair who go out with the DDGMarshall and get the DDGM and his suite. It goes on from there in much the same vein. The last Visit of a DDGM's term can be painful as he usually has about 30 people on his suite and introduces every one of them :)

Senior Warden, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 5:21pm
Remember this is an untyled area and open to the public.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
Adrian N. Gollop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian N. Gollop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 8:29am
Thanks Brother.
"Be True to what you do, and what you do will be True to you." ~ Adrian N. Gollop
Nero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2013 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Adrian N. Gollop Adrian N. Gollop wrote:

Most Worshipful (entire name), and give him a hand of friendship.

The only Brothers who are called Most Worshipful in my jurisdiction is the Grand Master himself and Past Grand Masters . It would be very improper to call a visiting Master or the DDGM , or any other Grand Line officer "Most Worshipful" . I am the DDGM in my district and I prefer Brother John Doe , DDGM of District # 18 . I dislike any title that makes it look as if I am on a higher pedestal than my brethren  .

In my jurisdiction.....

The GM is "Most Worshipful"
Deputy Grand Master on down are "Right Worshipful"
Grand Chaplain is "Right Reverend"
And to be completely on point the DDGM would be called "Worshipful Brother John Doe , DDGM " if he so choses .
And a visiting Master is called "Brother" and nothing more .

Edited by Nero - January/12/2013 at 11:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic