FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We are not all brothers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We are not all brothers
    Posted: October/10/2014 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Ozzie Ozzie wrote:

It may be illogical but stone masons can work without guilds. 

"Freemasonry did not evolve from the medieval guilds of stonemasons in Britain because it would appear that there were no medieval guilds of stonemasons in Britain. "   ...

Believe what you will ... but your statements are not supported by the facts.   And, the very reference you gave above (" 600 Years of Craft Ritual" by Herny Carr) clearly indicates speculative Freemasonry came from the opertive Stone mason Lodges (companies/guilds).

... You further state " we must ignore the history of the Antient lodges".  What antient lodge do you refer?  There were none other than the operative lodges of the Stone mason guilds. 

"Throughout the early years of the new Grand Lodge there were any number of Masons and lodges that never affiliated with the new Grand Lodge. These unaffiliated Masons and their Lodges were referred to as "Old Masons", or "St. John Masons", and "St. John Lodges".

On 17 July 1751, representatives of five Lodges gathered at the Turk's Head Tavern, in Greek Street, Soho, London and formed a rival Grand Lodge – "The Grand Lodge of England According to the Old Institutions". They considered that they practiced a more ancient and therefore purer form of Masonry, and called their Grand Lodge The Ancients' Grand Lodge. They called those affiliated to the Premier Grand Lodge, by the pejorative epithet The Moderns. These two unofficial names stuck

NOT relevant to the discussion.

... In 1809 the Moderns appointed a "Lodge of Promulgation" to return their own ritual to regularity with Scotland, Ireland and especially the Ancients. In 1811 both Grand Lodges appointed Commissioners and over the next two years, articles of Union were negotiated and agreed. In January 1813 the Duke of Sussex became Grand Master of the Moderns on the resignation of his brother, the Prince Regent, and in December of that year another brother, Duke of Kent became Grand Master of the Antients. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Grand_Lodge_of_England

It was more like making the Ritual of BOTH GLs  regular with EACH OTHER.   The big difference was the Royal Arch degrees which was separated from the 3 craft degrees of the Anceints.  This separation was insisted on by the GL of England (Moderns).      ref: http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/england_grand_lodge.html

Edited by edwmax - October/10/2014 at 10:23am
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2014 at 4:42pm

The presence of a set of articles demonstrates there was a code of conduct for some stone masons. 

It does not seem to me to prove that in the following centuries there were stone masons guilds in England.  Surely these guilds would have left some documentary records?

Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2014 at 6:45am

"Freemasonry did not evolve from the medieval guilds of stonemasons in Britain because it would appear that there were no medieval guilds of stonemasons in Britain. " 

http://www.jcs-group.com/enigma/masonic/stonemason.html

Explain then Halliwell Manuscript then? Also known as the Regium Poem.

http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/regius.html
Gainesville Lodge #41
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2014 at 6:13am
Originally posted by edwmax edwmax wrote:

Your comment is so dis-joined it is hard to follow a coherent thought.

First: ... no one said there wasn't a ritual before 1717;

Perhaps you might like to read the post to which I was responding:

Quote Ozzie - What makes you think that there was in existence a pre-1717 ritual?

but that before 1700 it was very simplistic and basic for the operative stone mason.   ... further, you imply that Stone mason guilds did not exist in England (you words 'if any exist'). this is completely illogical since they were the ones that built the great Gothic cathedrals. 

It may be illogical but stone masons can work without guilds. 

"Freemasonry did not evolve from the medieval guilds of stonemasons in Britain because it would appear that there were no medieval guilds of stonemasons in Britain. " 

http://www.jcs-group.com/enigma/masonic/stonemason.html

... You further state " we must ignore the history of the Antient lodges".  What antient lodge do you refer?  There were none other than the operative lodges of the Stone mason guilds. 

"Throughout the early years of the new Grand Lodge there were any number of Masons and lodges that never affiliated with the new Grand Lodge. These unaffiliated Masons and their Lodges were referred to as "Old Masons", or "St. John Masons", and "St. John Lodges".

On 17 July 1751, representatives of five Lodges gathered at the Turk's Head Tavern, in Greek Street, Soho, London and formed a rival Grand Lodge – "The Grand Lodge of England According to the Old Institutions". They considered that they practiced a more ancient and therefore purer form of Masonry, and called their Grand Lodge The Ancients' Grand Lodge. They called those affiliated to the Premier Grand Lodge, by the pejorative epithet The Moderns. These two unofficial names stuck

In 1809 the Moderns appointed a "Lodge of Promulgation" to return their own ritual to regularity with Scotland, Ireland and especially the Ancients. In 1811 both Grand Lodges appointed Commissioners and over the next two years, articles of Union were negotiated and agreed. In January 1813 the Duke of Sussex became Grand Master of the Moderns on the resignation of his brother, the Prince Regent, and in December of that year another brother, Duke of Kent became Grand Master of the Antients. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Grand_Lodge_of_England

I suspect that much of US Masonry was established before the Moderns returned their ritual to regularity with the Antients.

edwmax, I seem to have offended you.  That was not my intention.  I just have an interest in unofficial history.

Edited by Ozzie - October/09/2014 at 6:16am
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2014 at 5:38am
Your comment is so dis-joined it is hard to follow a coherent thought.

First: ... no one said there wasn't a ritual before 1717;  but that before 1700 it was very simplistic and basic for the operative stone mason.   ... further, you imply that Stone mason guilds did not exist in England (you words 'if any exist'). this is completely illogical since they were the ones that built the great Gothic cathedrals.     ... You further state " we must ignore the history of the Antient lodges".  What antient lodge do you refer?  There were none other than the operative lodges of the Stone mason guilds.

ALL of your statements are completely contrary to the very reference you give: " 600 Years of Craft Ritual" by Herny Carr.

Next, your quote about the 1567 'well documented' schism from 'The Gods of Eden' is so out of context to imply there was a schism within Freemasonry.   There was not!  The 1567 English schism was political and later gave reason for Speculative Masons (London Masons) to separate from the Operative Masons (York Masons).   

Thomasville 369
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2014 at 6:56pm
>What makes you think there was in existence a pre-1717 ritual?

Even if we assume that Masonry comes out of stone masons guilds (if any existed in England) we must ignore the history of the Antient lodges to accept standard Masonic history.

Anyway here is a start for those interested in the approach of the self-proclaimed "authentic school" of Masonic history.

"There is several words and signs of a free mason to be revealed to you . . . ‘ ‘Several words and signs . . .’plural, more than one degree. And here in a document that should have been dated 1550, we have the first hint of the expansion of the ceremonies into more than one degree. A few years later we have actual minutes that prove two degrees in practice."

http://freemasoninformation.com/masonic-education/history/600-years-of-craft-ritual/

"Freemasonry was so well-established in England by the 16th century that a well-documented schism in 1567 is on record. The schism divided English Freemasons into two major factions: the “York” and “London” Masons. "  

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vida_alien/godseden/godseden10.htm

Meanwhile some Masonic historians have moved on from the "authentic" approach of relying on lodge minute books and have been considering the content of Masonic ritual and how that relates to more ancient ritual.  It turns out there are many detailed correspondences with several ancient traditions.  How did stone masons know such things?

Edited by Ozzie - October/08/2014 at 6:57pm
AaronSawyer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSawyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2014 at 2:37pm
Ozzie - What makes you think there was in existence a pre-1717 ritual?  Or am I misunderstanding what you wrote?
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2014 at 11:16am
My place as a moderator is to be in between except one seems to be a trouble maker

That being said, Ozzie is being watched closely by me. I can not speak for any others who may be monitoring its activity.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2014 at 12:10pm
I don't think its off topic.
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
Thudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2014 at 10:50am
HMM
I don't mean to get off topic here but, somethings not right about the Ozzie guy. That's just my opinion. This is the second thread I've seen him pop up out of the blue and say something...off. Is it just me or does any one else see this also.
I:28-FEB-2014
P:28-MAR-2014
R:18-APR-2014

Mt. Ogden #20 F&AM PHA
MWPHGLCO & Jurisdiction
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2014 at 8:50am
Originally posted by CanadianPaul CanadianPaul wrote:

... but there is considerable evidence there were speculative masons long before that.

The discussion isn't about whether speculative masons existed before 1717.   The 4 Lodges that formed the GL of England were largely speculative in its membership and certainly existed before 1717.  

... Yes, there were a couple of old Scottish Lodge that maintain their records back to the 1600 & 1500s.  I think only one still have all those intact.    Very few of the Lodges from the 1500 & 1600 survived much less whatever records they may have had.  What little ritual that existed was taught mouth to ear because most masons of that time could not read or write.  The Lodge was their formal vocational education.   Therefore, very little of any ritual was written down from this time period.

It has been shown by Masonic Historians that most Lodges of this period simply gave the new masons an obligation and then read the 'old charges' (Shaw - Regius or similar) to him.   The elaborate ritual that we use today did not exist within those old Lodges.  Therefore, the secretes that Ozzie is trying to imply as being lost did not exist within the old Lodges.

Now that said ... Dr. Anderson and Dr. John Theophilus Desaguliers researched much of Freemasonry from the existing old Scottish Lodges and put together the basics of our modern ritual.   I believe Dr. Desaguliers was actually sued for stealing the ritual from one Lodge. (wish I can find that reference again). So bits and peaces of the ritual were developing in the early 1710 & 20s.

Edited by edwmax - October/06/2014 at 8:54am

Thomasville 369
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2014 at 7:10am
There are 'records' dating back before 1717 but they are for lodges which were still primarily operative although they may have had some speculative members as well. The Grand Lodge of Scotland has minutes of a lodge dating to 1599. At the time of the formation of that Grand Lodge in (I think) 1726 a member of the Sinclair family was the hereditary Grand Master Mason of Scotland and recognised as such by the new Grand Lodge. He immediately resigned and surrendered the rights to the office for his heirs so that the brethren could elect they choice as Grand Master Mason (as the 'Grand Master' of the GL of Scotland is still properly called). In my opinion there is some basis for claiming that the modern 'Grand Lodge' system took form in 1717 but there is considerable evidence there were speculative masons long before that.
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2014 at 4:54pm
Now you are trying to infer a single event in 1720 after Lodges started keeping records as being the cause of lost secretes before 1717 and before Lodges keeping records.   ...  Further, the elaborate rituals that we have today did not exist in the 1500 & 1600s thus the secrets you keep referring to did not exist within the operative Lodges.  The candidate was simply read an obligation of which he affirmed.

Thomasville 369
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2014 at 3:07pm
>The reason there no known history of these Lodges before 1717 was there were no requirement for Lodges to keep records & minutes

You surprise me with that.  Masons tend to be scrupulous about lodge records of initiations, as being the ultimate proof of brotherhood.

Meanwhile the new Grand Lodge in London was struggling a bit:

"At an assembly and feast held at the Goose and Gridiron on the 24th June 1720, George Payne esq. was re-elected Grand Master, and under his mild but vigilant administration the lodges continued to flourish.

This year, at some of the private lodges, to the irreparable loss of the fraternity, several valuable manuscripts, concerning their lodges, regulations, charges, secrets, and usages, (particularly one written by Mr. Nicholas Stone, the warden under Inigo Jones,) were too hastily burnt by some scrupulous brethren, who were alarmed at the intended publication of the masonic constitutions."     http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/preston_illustrations_masonry_book4.html

Thus we see lodges at that time burning, not only their records, but also "secrets and usages", the loss of which is irreparable by the new Grand Lodge.   Lost forever - to them at least.

Some 5 years later the new Grand Lodge receives the 3rd degree for the first time - in the form of Noah and his sons.    Perhaps someone thought to assist them.

Is this the first time we hear of the genuine secrets being lost?

Edited by Ozzie - October/05/2014 at 3:12pm
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2014 at 8:51am

You will need to search widely as the prior history of the 4 time immemorial lodges is left largely silent for reasons that may become obvious.  Here is a start:

"The second Lodge which originally met at the Crown Ale-house is believed to have originated in 1712."

http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/goose_and_gridiron_ale-house.htm

This is simply a history of where these Lodges met after the formation of the GL of England and has nothing to do with the above discussion and you implications.    ... The reason there no known history of these Lodges before 1717 was there were no requirement for Lodges to keep records & minutes.  And, very few exist.   

Thomasville 369
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 8:33pm

You will need to search widely as the prior history of the 4 time immemorial lodges is left largely silent for reasons that may become obvious.  Here is a start:

"The second Lodge which originally met at the Crown Ale-house is believed to have originated in 1712."

http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/goose_and_gridiron_ale-house.htm

Edited by Ozzie - October/04/2014 at 8:34pm
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 7:48pm
Actually, may I ask for references or sites were I can read about what you gentlemen are talking about?

I'm in the dark.

PHA-AL

edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 7:20pm

>Most (if not ALL) Lodges formed before this period were 'time immemorial'.

That is the official view, but one of the 4 lodges was less than 2 years old and the oldest about 50 years. 

This can be dealt with by defining time-immemorial  as "we don't have the minute books any more".  You may think that a foolish argument but it has been used elsewhere in a post on this topic.

Henry Ford nailed history.

"Time immemorial' has nothing to do with the actual age of the Lodge, but is the method of constituting a Lodge by necessity.  And, you should know this.   .... How long have you been a Freemason? ...

Thomasville 369
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 5:03pm
>Most (if not ALL) Lodges formed before this period were 'time immemorial'.

That is the official view, but one of the 4 lodges was less than 2 years old and the oldest about 50 years. 

This can be dealt with by defining time-immemorial  as "we don't have the minute books any more".  You may think that a foolish argument but it has been used elsewhere in a post on this topic.

Henry Ford nailed history.

Edited by Ozzie - October/04/2014 at 6:03pm
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 2:32am

>Wren was of the wrong political party and was out of favor when George I became King in 1714.

This is the reason for the 4 lodges breaking away to form their own Grand Lodge that was loyal to the German king of England.  The Scottish lodges tended to be loyal to their own royal line.

The question of legitimacy of those 4 lodges is bypassed in mainstream Masonic histories by deeming them time-immemorial despite their recent formation and the identity of the Grand Lodge that chartered them is not considered.

You are obviously applying rules made by the 'Grand Lodge of London and Westminster' (Grand Lodge of England) to the its own founding Lodges before such rules were made.     ... Most (if not ALL) Lodges formed before this period were 'time immemorial'. 

Thomasville 369
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 11:32pm
>Wren was of the wrong political party and was out of favor when George I became King in 1714.

This is the reason for the 4 lodges breaking away to form their own Grand Lodge that was loyal to the German king of England.  The Scottish lodges tended to be loyal to their own royal line.

The question of legitimacy of those 4 lodges is bypassed in mainstream Masonic histories by deeming them time-immemorial despite their recent formation and the identity of the Grand Lodge that chartered them is not considered.

Edited by Ozzie - October/03/2014 at 11:36pm
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Caution1010 Caution1010 wrote:

What are u talking about?

Right!  ...

He is confused Caution.   And, fails to recognized the 4 old Lodges of London were recognized Lodges. These Lodges claimed Grand Master Christopher Wren was neglecting the craft.   Wren was of the wrong political party and was out of favor when George I became King in 1714.  So 'government' work for the operatives Masons dried up.   ...

Edited by edwmax - October/03/2014 at 8:20pm

Thomasville 369
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 7:09pm
What are u talking about?

PHA-AL

Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 7:43pm

Clandestine: Formed illegitimately with no lineage to any competent grand lodge therefore there's really no discussion about them.....

Unfortunately this is the claimed status of the self-declared Grand Lodge of England formed in 1717.

The claim of time immemorial does not work as the oldest of the 4 lodges was about 50 years and the newest less than 2 years old.

Edited by Ozzie - October/02/2014 at 7:45pm
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 6:21pm
Indeed

PHA-AL

Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 5:18pm
It does help. Thank you for this additional information. Basicly what i'm understanding is recognition is various from state to state.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 3:21pm
Regular: Formed by a legitimate lineage of lodges or a competent grand lodge. Practices freemasonry as prescribed by the generally agreed and accepted customs and traditions of freemasonry. E.g all Lodges and Grand Lodges formed from the (Now United) Grand Lodge(s) of England 

Irregular: May otherwise have been regular except for one thing or the other. E.g National Compact Grand Lodge pre-1876, until recently the GLNF.

Recognized: When two grand lodges agree on a mutual compact. Both grand lodges have to be regular. However, it is known that there have been grand lodges formed even within the same root that for a short time may not have had recognition  with each other. e.g Grand Lodge of WA vs Most of the Grand Lodges in the US (around 1897), Grand Lodge of WV vs Grand Lodge of OH (around the Frank Haas Incident), MWPHGLVA vs MWPHGLLA (around the AEAONMS Protective order 2 incident)

Recognition between a Grand Lodge and the UGLE may or may not indicate the regularity of the Grand Lodge. e.g Most of the Prince Hall Grand Lodges in the South despite their sister GL's having relation with the UGLE and they themselves having descent from the Premier Grand Lodge of England do not have relations themselves with the UGLE due to the "American doctrine of Exclusive Territorial Jurisdiction", (which in itself is a farce in my opinion). However the MWPHGLOK is a regular grand lodge that is in amity with their sister GL in OK.  For some inconspicuous reason, they are not (at least at the time of this post) in relations with the UGLE. 

Clandestine: Formed illegitimately with no lineage to any competent grand lodge therefore there's really no discussion about them. QED. However, a lot of grand lodges have made a huge mistake within their jurisprudence to classify any grand lodges that they have not recognized to be "clandestine". This is totally wrong. Those grand lodges should be assessed on a case by case basis and the determination should be made individually on whether the GL in question is clandestine. If the GL is not clandestine, then the GL in question relative to the assessing GL is simply unrecognized.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Caution1010 - October/02/2014 at 3:28pm

PHA-AL

Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 3:14pm
Thanks for clearing me up on that max. Let me see if i have it right now. Most; if not all PHA lodges throughout the US have recognition with each other, even though they may not have recognition with the main stream lodges of their respective states?
So in the case case where Pennsylvania and South Carolina PHA get together for their anual meeting its ok because PHA has recognition with PHA even though Pennsylvania has main stream recognition but S.C. does not...they still recognize each other. Do I have that right?
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

Ok, this is confusing... let me see if i have this right. Grand lodges of a state can choose to recognize lodges and grand lodges from other states even if that lodges home state does not have recognition with it?   ... 

Yes that is correct and it has to do the 'autonomous' nature of the GL.   ... Next a GL can not recognize a Lodge without recognizing its GL.  Thus, when a GL is recognized ALL Lodges of that GL are reconized.    A GL has a published list of GLs & their Lodges of which they recognize.

The Florida PHA situation is confusing at best due to infighting and splits years ago. This has been a topic on the forum a while back.    My recollection   ... the GL with PHA in its name is not recognized and the "Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge of Florida" is the recognized PHA affiliated GL.

You said "... even
if that lodges home state does not have recognition with it? "  I'm not sure specifically what you mean here.   For a GL to recognized a Lodge of another GL not recognized with the jurisdiction of another 'recognized' GL would certainly be a violated of the 'recognition agreement' between to two GLs.

... Especialy since all recognized lodges in the US are recognized (and i believe chartered by) the UGLofE. "Please correct me if i'm inacurate in that statement."  ...

Not true.   Only the early colonial Lodges were Charter by the 'Grand Lodge of England' (Moderns: not the same as UGLE), The Ancient Grand Lodge of England (Ancients), The GL of Scotland, the GL of Ireland and may be a couple of Continental GLs. A few 'Time Immemorial' Lodges were also formed.   As the US expanded West new lodges were Charted by GLs from which Masons came.  Then these Lodges with growth formed new GLs. 

Edited by edwmax - October/02/2014 at 9:44am

Thomasville 369
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 8:44am
Ok, this is confusing... let me see if i have this right. Grand lodges of a state can choose to recognize lodges and grand lodges from other states even if that lodges home state does not have recognition with it? That doesn't seem right. Especialy since all recognized lodges in the US are recognized (and i believe chartered by) the UGLofE. "Please correct me if i'm inacurate in that statement." So again... You're grand lodge, and local lodge are either recognized...or they're not. Having come from an unrecognized PHA lodge and grand lodge out of Florida, and having had to take the blue lodge degrees twice, i can certainly understand the frustration this creates. However, the bottom line remains the same. You're either recognized....or you're not.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 8:37am

Are not all lodges that are not recognized by the United Grand Lodge of England for all intents and purposes clandestine?  If they are not recognized and regular, then they are clandestine, and irregular...Right?    ...

Not true .... WELL  ... They are clandestine to the UGLE, but may not be clandestine to another GL.   Each GL maintained their own list of recognized Lodges.  A GL/Lodge must ask other GLs for recognition and then the recognition is rededicated when granted.    ... Recondition can be withdrawn from otherwise 'regular & recognized" GLs.  An example would be West Va & Ohio a couple of years ago.

Thomasville 369
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 8:18am

Also I would tend to distinguish "irregular" from "clandestine"

Irregular seems to mean: not have quite the same rules.  For example I understand that the UGLE recognises at least one order of Masonry that admits women as regular in all respects, except for the admission of women.

This does not seem to me to be the same as clandestine.   I rather think that refers to organizations that keep their existence or perhaps their lineage secret, but from what I have read it is primarily a US problem.   ...

All clandestine Lodges are irregular. This is the nature of being clandestine.    But, not all 'recognized' Lodges are regular. Some can be irregular in some fashion of their ritual, or formation and still be recognized.    

One's GL Code will define 'clandestine'.   Which is usually ANY Lodge not recognized by that GL.  This could include GLs/Lodges which are 'regular & recognized' by other GLs.   However, internet forums attempt to refine clandestine lodge to one not or would not be recognized by any regular GL.

The thread title "We are not all Brothers" is a reference to the fact not all GLs/Lodges represented by the members of this forum are recognized by ALL the Gls.

Edited by edwmax - October/02/2014 at 8:20am

Thomasville 369
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 9:40pm

Are not all lodges that are not recognized by the United Grand Lodge of England for all intents and purposes clandestine?  ....

I am not sure UGLE claims such a power or right except for managing visitation to and from its own lodges.

Also I would tend to distinguish "irregular" from "clandestine"

Irregular seems to mean: not have quite the same rules.  For example I understand that the UGLE recognises at least one order of Masonry that admits women as regular in all respects, except for the admission of women.

This does not seem to me to be the same as clandestine.   I rather think that refers to organisations that keep their existence or perhaps their lineage secret, but from what I have read it is primarily a US problem.

Personally I would prefer if recognition were based on something more than the opinion of Grand Lodge committees.  

For example, if we had access to Masonic Science we could use the working tools in a moral sense to measure how true a brother is to the pattern laid down by the GAOTU.

Edited by Ozzie - October/01/2014 at 10:04pm
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 7:29pm
Are not all lodges that are not recognized by the United Grand Lodge of England for all intents and purposes clandestine?  If they are not recognized and regular, then they are clandestine, and irregular...Right?  I was raised into PHA in Florida when I was in the Navy, only to find out when I returned home to Maine that I had to be entered, passed and raised all over again because PHA is not recognized in Florida.  (Maine has recognition, and one PHA lodge, but it is chartered by the PH Grand lodge of Mass.)  In my travels as a PHA mason, I visited South Carolina (also not recognized) for a HUGE raising of 6 FC's if I recall correctly.  3 from S.C., and 3 from Phili PA. (Pennsylvania does have recognition, and is recognized by the UGLofE)  This big raising and get together of PHA masons from PA., and S.C. took place every year at the time (and may still be to this day)  So recognized PHA lodges seem to still have masonic communication and still recognize PHA lodges that are irregular and not recognized.  That is not right any way you slice it.  There are Grand lodges and lodges that are regular and recognized, and there are ones that are not.  The two should not (and are not allowed) to visit one another, or have official masonic interaction with one another.  PERIOD  
When I first returned to Maine, my local lodge (of which I'm now a member) allowed me to visit after checking my dues card, and questioning me some.  (they should not have) A few days later, I was contacted and informed that my PHA lodge, and Grand lodge in Florida were not recognized by the Grand lodge of England, and that if I wanted to continue to attend at lodge that I would need to be entered, passed, and raised again...  Long story short... You're either regular, and recognized... or you're not.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2013 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Flotown79 Flotown79 wrote:

Clearly some action needs to be taken concerning that lodge.  If I was GM I don't think I would go as far as revoking the Charter for that hurts members who had no knowledge.  I would suspend and consider expulsion of every member that knew the situation at hand.

I don't want it to sound like an "I told you so," however a few years ago on this forum I warned about the day these groups would do such. 

I know this is an old post ... 

First,  the members that didn't know about the incident at the time it occurred are not entirely blameless.    They have a duty to report and file a complaint with their Grand Master.   ... If the GM did arrest the Charter, it can be later restored on satisfactory adjudication of the incident.  ... Further, the GM can also issue emergent Dimits to those members not involved in the incident to join other Lodges.    ... Arresting a Charter only stops a Lodge from meeting until the Grand Master is satisfied the Officers and Lodge will comply with all rules and Bylaws of the GL and the bylaws of the Lodge.  The Grand Master can restore a Charter or he can permanently suspend it after further investigation or hearing.

Second, ....   We know clandestine masons will try to visit regular Lodges.  This was the very reason the 'due card' system was started'  ... to stop illegal visitation.    And, because of the required 'Dues Card' attempted visitation by clandestine and suspended masons has become rare in many of our jurisdictions.

Thomasville 369
JackTownBruh View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackTownBruh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2013 at 8:25am
MW Stringer Grand Lodge(PHA)
J.I. Martin Lodge #701
khaos16 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khaos16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2013 at 9:06am
The clandy is Tony Hawkins a PGM of the John g jones Affiliated gl in California. He deceived the good brothers of La Mesa lodge in California. I will post the pic from my pc today. I'm having trouble with posting from my phone
Truth & Union Lodge #594 F&AM
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2013 at 6:56am

Edwmax, while the practice of checking dues cards and List of Lodges/GL is should be followed to the "t", Caution is 100% correct in saying that members of these clandestine bodies are now attempting to visit lodges within the GLs of State, and they are getting in.  I have seen the proof from not only a picture that was taken but also a member of the lodge who pleaded with the leadership to not allow the visitor because he was from a JGJ GL also confirmed the event took place.

Then that Lodge should lose it Charter, for two reasons.  First the Wm & members were on notice the visitor was clandestine; 2nd, a member objected & the WM allowed the visitation anyway.   ... I don't care, there is no reason to violate protocol & Obligations.   ... Was this a PHA Lodge or MS Lodge.   We already know from past PHA Masons on the forum this has happened in their Lodge, but I don't believe a MS lodge knowingly allowed it to happen.

This was a "MS" lodge. 

Didn't we have a LONG discussion in this forum about the need for a dues card or avouchment for a stranger before he is allowed to sit in a lodge?   At the time, some of the responses I got was as if this was an alien thing to do...

Edited by NobleShabba - March/22/2013 at 7:00am
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
masonic.truths View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masonic.truths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 8:11pm
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 7:59pm
Oh shut up.

PHA-AL

masonic.truths View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote masonic.truths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 6:48pm
Thats what happens when you choose being politically correct over being correct.

It is sad that so many have chosen the path of the slippery slope of political correctness.
Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 3:02pm
Clearly some action needs to be taken concerning that lodge.  If I was GM I don't think I would go as far as revoking the Charter for that hurts members who had no knowledge.  I would suspend and consider expulsion of every member that knew the situation at hand.

I don't want it to sound like an "I told you so," however a few years ago on this forum I warned about the day these groups would do such. 

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 2:43pm

Edwmax, while the practice of checking dues cards and List of Lodges/GL is should be followed to the "t", Caution is 100% correct in saying that members of these clandestine bodies are now attempting to visit lodges within the GLs of State, and they are getting in.  I have seen the proof from not only a picture that was taken but also a member of the lodge who pleaded with the leadership to not allow the visitor because he was from a JGJ GL also confirmed the event took place.

Then that Lodge should lose it Charter, for two reasons.  First the Wm & members were on notice the visitor was clandestine; 2nd, a member objected & the WM allowed the visitation anyway.   ... I don't care, there is no reason to violate protocol & Obligations.   ... Was this a PHA Lodge or MS Lodge.   We already know from past PHA Masons on the forum this has happened in their Lodge, but I don't believe a MS lodge knowingly allowed it to happen.

This was a "MS" lodge. 

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 2:28pm

Thomasville 369
Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 2:17pm

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Hyksos Hyksos wrote:

Ed, your GL doesn't have recognition though right?

I think what Caution was saying is that in Jurisdictions with recognition...those MS Lodges are so afraid of the 'race card' that they automatically assume a black man claiming to be a mason is Prince Hall.  ...

Neither does Alabama, so I don't think Caution has first hand knowledge of these facts and simply repeating something his had read or heard.

Originally posted by Hyksos Hyksos wrote:

Also, it would probably seem inappropriate to check dues cards on all the black masons only.
    ... This is REQUIRED of ALL visitors, black, white, yellow, red, or pink.    The Dues Cards is the judge & proof of mutual recognition and a visitor MUST produce it when asked.  This was the specific purpose they were put into use in the US.   Further,  that was the point I made above when I visited Lodge within my own GL.  I still had to produce my Card.    .... A visitor, who is denied visitation because he can not produce his card; is his own fault and no one else.   ... that is expected protocol requirements.

Now, Give the names of the Lodges and their GLs which allowed Clandestine masons into their Lodge and I will speak to my GM about pulling the recognition of those GLs.  This is a violation of recondition recognition requirements, Landmarks, and Masonic Oaths.
Any Master Mason, who actively deceives other Masons & Lodges about the recognized masonic status of clandestine masons by vouch, IS NOT a MASON and has violated his Oaths.

Edited by edwmax - March/21/2013 at 2:30pm

Thomasville 369
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 5:45am
Ed, your GL doesn't have recognition though right?

I think what Caution was saying is that in Jurisdictions with recognition...those MS Lodges are so afraid of the 'race card' that they automatically assume a black man claiming to be a mason is Prince Hall. This wouldn't surprise me that much because even in my lodge when you talk to Brothers about Prince Hall they think it is all the same. Granted we don't have recognition, but I'm willing to bet that in places that do have recognition... The Brothers are largely ignorant.

Also, it would probably seem inappropriate to check dues cards on all the black masons only. I think it is completely conceivable where clandestine PH masons have shown up to MS lodges and the MS lodges are too worried to try them bc they will be labeled racist, or too ignorant to know about clandestine PH organizations.

Here that wouldn't fly because we check everyone's dues cards and such no matter what you look like.
Gainesville Lodge #41
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 5:35am

Bro ed,
In jurisdictions that have mutual recognition, men belonging to clandestine groups have gone as far as sit in their tyled meetings under the ignorance of sitting "ms" brothers who either did not know any better or automatically assumed a bunch of african american men claiming to be masons are "prince hall"
I believe it forms good education for all masons, as this is a scourge we can agree we need to tackle in unison. the more informed we are, the more capable we'll be at tackling the issue.

I have to show my current Dues card when visiting Lodges within my GL for the first time, even when wearing a purple & gold apron. And, every Lodge outside of my GL cross checks my dues card & Lodge name against their GL's list of recognized GLs.       ... So what you just claimed wouldn't and couldn't otherwise happen unless a known PHA Mason vouched for the Clandy when visiting.

The clandy masons listed in that article can not produce proper due cards to prove their GL is recognized.

I promise you, it happened. That's all I'm going to say about that. LOL

PHA-AL

edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 2:09am

Bro ed,
In jurisdictions that have mutual recognition, men belonging to clandestine groups have gone as far as sit in their tyled meetings under the ignorance of sitting "ms" brothers who either did not know any better or automatically assumed a bunch of african american men claiming to be masons are "prince hall"
I believe it forms good education for all masons, as this is a scourge we can agree we need to tackle in unison. the more informed we are, the more capable we'll be at tackling the issue.

I have to show my current Dues card when visiting Lodges within my GL for the first time, even when wearing a purple & gold apron. And, every Lodge outside of my GL cross checks my dues card & Lodge name against their GL's list of recognized GLs.       ... So what you just claimed wouldn't and couldn't otherwise happen unless a known PHA Mason vouched for the Clandy when visiting.

The clandy masons listed in that article can not produce proper due cards to prove their GL is recognized.

Thomasville 369
squarehead View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2013 at 1:36am
I say make it a sticky in PHA section and the main forum.
MWPHGLTX F A&M
NEW LIGHT LODGE#242
MT. SINAI CHAPTER #42
SOUTH CENTRAL COMMANDERY #37
NUBIA TEMPLE #191 (AEAONMS)
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A

"Seek first to understand, Then to be understood."  &nbs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic