FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy with Question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy with Question?
    Posted: February/10/2015 at 8:52am
Do we really still need to keep giving him advice? With all due respect, this thread is almost 2 years old! Either he has made it through by now or he hasn't!
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2015 at 8:28am
If the Degree Work in your lodge is at all similar to what I am used to, during the actual degree your Conductor will prompt you with anything you are required to say. Relax, Brother, absorb what is happening - you won't remember much of it but that is normal! That is why that, after you have received the degree, you should take every possible opportunity to see it conferred in other lodges as well as your own. THEN pay attention to the parts you will be required to memorise.

Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2015 at 9:24pm
Go for the short form. Then once you have gotten threw that, go back and learn the long form.
brother bell
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2014 at 9:58am
Congratulations upon the start of your journey. Don't worry about the memorization. I was raised to Master Mason approx. 10 weeks ago. At 58 years old I didn't have any problems doing the work and I'm sure that you will not either.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
AaronSawyer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSawyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2014 at 1:52pm

Many brothers have apprehension about memorizing some of the ritual.  Just devote some time to it, think about what it means, and enjoy it.  All will be fine for you!  Good luck!

jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2013 at 2:08pm
Do not let memory work scare you. Take it in small steps and learn a little at a time. Every man in your lodge has done it and I would bet that many have had the same fears.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2013 at 7:41am
My scheduled initiation is this coming Monday the 22. I think the memory work is what has me the most nervous.

I remember best when I write down what I'm reading or hearing. I'm guessing it is unmasonic to write down your ob so I don't know what I'm going to do.

Maybe we can share tips at that point.
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
mance rayder View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mance rayder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2013 at 8:31pm
Most important thing that will help you is to pay attention to what's happening. I know you may feel overwhelmed, but try and enjoy the night .. PS I'm sorry i read this post late would've loved to attend your initiation keep me informed and I'll try to male your 2nd
You'll never walk alone
SeekerofLight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeekerofLight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2013 at 7:32pm
For me, trying to understand the material and taking it to heart really helped with retaining it well.
MrBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 5:14pm
Thanks guy. Really looking forward to this.
Groupie View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groupie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2013 at 6:56am
I agree with all the brother's that have replied to you just relax you will get a coach to work with you with your degree work !
SJD
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 9:16pm
Welcome and congratulations as you take your first steps in Freemasonry. All the previous posters have given you very good advice and I agree with them. Relax, every man in the lodge has gone through the same ceremony.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
drew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2013 at 6:37am
A piece of advice a member of my lodge has said on many occasions to people after their first degree (And second) regarding the upcoming memory work, is that it is NOT there to keep you out; rather it's there to help you in. 

I can pretty much guarantee that no lodge would ever kick anyone out if their memory-work was not up to snuff.  Rather, they would be assisted through it all to ensure that they understood all that they were supposed to . 
...when the guns are the fenceposts; the cars are the doghouse; and the telephone no longer rings.
simple man View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simple man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 10:17pm
 Well welcome Friend and I wish you all the luck in the world but I have faith you can do it.. I have a very bad exam anxiety and stage fright and I did all 3 degrees by myself.. All I can say is do not memorize it, learn it and you will have it forever.. If I can do it I know you can do it.. Your Coach or Instructor will let you know when you are ready and will not let you do anything you are not ready for...

Initiated 03/04/2008
Passed 01/21/2013
Raised 02/04/2013
S.D. Ft. Valley #110
Scribe Chapter Austin #18
I. M. Council H. C. Rigdon #35
C.G. Commandery Ivanhoe #10
32° Valley of Macon
Al Sihah Shrine
RedDoor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedDoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 7:06pm
Don't worry about anything other than making it on time and taking it all in. Nothing is required of you for the first night.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 4:22pm
The memory work required is not during the actual degree. You have time to work on the required memory work. Relax, take it slow and you should do fine.
MrBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 3:56pm
Hello Gentlemen,
I recently petitioned my local Lodge and was voted in. Now my 1st Degree is scheduled for a little over a week from today. I have a question I'm hoping someone can reply and help with.
My sponsor is a good friend of mine and he has told me very little about the process and has stated it is going to be very memorable for me. I trust him completely as we have been friends for 20+ years. He did mention that some of the steps I am about to go through involve memorization.
Now I don't want to ruin the experience I'm about to go through but I'm looking for some info. I have a good memory and always have but I'm kind of concerned about memorizing large paragraphs of information. During the Degrees are there large sections to memorize or is it a few sentences and back and forth. As I get older I'm finding my memory is not so great for large clusters of info.
Thanks for any help guys and I look forward to the Journey.
Hope everyone had a Happy Easter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic