Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > The Northwest Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Contact with Irregular or Clandestine Masons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easttowesttoeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Contact with Irregular or Clandestine Masons
    Posted: April/08/2013 at 2:19pm

Gentlemen and Bretheren, Regular and Irregular,

I have a question. What happens if I meet a man with a friendly grip and find that he represents a lodge which my GL deems "Irregular" or "Clandestine"?

I came into contact with a gentleman who was wearing the square and compasses. I'm an FC and kind of excited to meet other men. The only thing I know about Reglar/Irregular/Clandestine stuff is what I have been told online. My lodge has not given any instruction otherwise. I asked him how he was doing and greeted him in a friendly manner. His eyes lit up and he asked my lodge. He then told me his. However, judging by the name (which I was unfamiliar with), A quick search revealed that he may be from what some would consider a "bogus" GL.

What now?
Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 2:23pm
Speak as you  would with any other stranger and keep on moving.

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
GaLightSeeker View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaLightSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 2:48pm
Just remember your obligation. It should be pretty specific about regularity.
E - 5 Feb 2013
P - 2 Apr 2013
R - 16 Apr 2013
easttowesttoeast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easttowesttoeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by GaLightSeeker GaLightSeeker wrote:

Just remember your obligation. It should be pretty specific about regularity.

No, I know that for sure. But there are sometimes when things get fuzzy. Case in point, someone who has a state sanctioned license plate from Ohio AND a dues card (I've never seen a dues card before). So, you see that and go "Oh cool! Brother!". But you're wrong.

I don't know the PHA lodges around here (until I spoke with a PHA brother here in Ohio). I kind of feel duped, but now a bit more cautious.

I guess I will have to ask what Prince Hall/Mainstream Lodge and look it up before saying anything to anyone.
Z111 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 3:21pm
Err on the side of caution always. Always.
"You cannot do square work by cutting corners."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easttowesttoeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Z111 Z111 wrote:

Err on the side of caution always. Always.
That is why I didn't do anything to reveal anything that the profane shouldn't know
Z111 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 3:57pm
You did well.
"You cannot do square work by cutting corners."
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2013 at 9:01pm
Hi...my name is...
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2013 at 8:51pm
I would not speak on the secrets of masonry outside of the lodgeroom with a brother that I just met......That is just me.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
anchorsaweigh20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anchorsaweigh20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2013 at 1:11am
Being in the military and working with certain things, I learned that it's better to not speak of these things outside of my workplace. I apply the same principle to Masonry. I don't talk Masonicly outside of lodge, which is pretty much all that's require of you. Don't treat them like a brother if they are clandestine etc., because they aren't. As cold as it sounds, but don't be a jerk either. Treat them with the same respects as you would someone you just met.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easttowesttoeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2013 at 2:04pm
I saw the gentleman leave today with his coat.

"King Solomon Grand Lodge F&AYM". YUP! Irregular.
dxg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dxg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2013 at 2:42pm
Only speak about Masonic Activities with those from your lodge if you are unsure.
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2014 at 11:01pm
Since you are a Fellowcraft, it is not surprising that you have not been told about clandestine Freemasons. In Missouri, it is in the Master Mason obligation  that we are told that we are not allowed to hold Masonic communion with a clandestine Freemason, but other than that, you are free to associate with him in any manner you see fit. You just can't be in a tiled lodge with him.

If you are not sure if he belongs to a lodge recognized by your Grand Lodge, ask your lodge's secretary. He has (or should have) a book listing all of the lodges around the world that are recognized by your Grand Lodge. 

Edited by WBScott - October/24/2014 at 11:02pm
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2014 at 11:53am
I think the issue here is what to do when you've just met someone outside of the lodge who claims to be a Brother. You have no way, or for that matter reason, to contact the Secretary to confirm regularity right then. 

The answer is actually in your EA Obligation. you promised to never reveal any of the secrets of Freemasonry without confirming the person is entitled to them. Since you have no way to determine that, just don't discuss the "secrets" (grips, works, tokens, and details of Ritual) with anyone you have just met. 

Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2014 at 4:33pm
why the grip though?
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
NewToLight84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2014 at 10:03pm
Unfortunately as most of us know ( not saying anything new here ) there is so much information to be found on the web that it may, if someone did enough research and had enough guts to walk up to you in a parking lot and announce themselves as a brother... I haven't been approached by anyone directly but I wear my ring very proudly and have received a few interesting grips....I had an elderly gentlemen at Cabelas tell me to enjoy my journey....I thought that was very cool. I would 100% reluctant to discuss ANYTHING with ANYONE outside my lodge..
"Be careful how you live. You may be the only Mason some people will ever meet." -unknown
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2014 at 6:33am
When in doubt always ask for a dues card. I can check the recognition of any lodge in the United States on my phone in about 30 seconds...
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 10:09pm
My train of though...If someone you just met wants to discuss what goes on behind a tyled door before he gets your name then he is either new and eager or someone trying to steal the secrets of Freemasonry.

Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2015 at 8:48pm
I would ask him if he knew the hand shake, password, the rhyme while doing duck calls on the second Thursday of the month. Lol ! But seriously, smile and keep walking.
brother bell
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2015 at 1:21pm
This thread is more than 1 1/2 years old. The OP was an FC. He wouldn't know how to try another Mason, Clandestine or not.  And, the OP has not logged on for more than a year.     I do hope he has been raised and learned how to deal with this type of situation by now.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2015 at 4:16pm
Why doesn't some one close these old threads ?
brother bell
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2015 at 3:57am
Some new members may want to read back through old topics. There is a lot of good information on here.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2015 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

Some new members may want to read back through old topics. There is a lot of good information on here.

What he said.

A lot of topics that are old to some are new for others especially as our fraternity grows.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic