Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > A Bikers Barstool online
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Widows Sons Banned in Massachusetts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Widows Sons Banned in Massachusetts
    Posted: December/11/2013 at 8:08pm
It was announced at my Lodge's business meeting tonight that the Grand Master of Massachusetts has issued an edict banning the Widows Sons Motorcycle Club in Massachusetts, I don’t know the reason or reasons why.
MaestroJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaestroJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2013 at 9:33pm
It is truly devastating news. I am a Massachusetts Freemason, and I am very proud to have the Widows' Sons in our Fraternity. I was only raised in January of 2012. I'm definitely not someone who would ever ride a motorcycle. There's a large grouping of the Widows Sons in our Lodge, and even though I'm different from them in almost every way, we were always brothers, and knew we could rely on one another.

The things they have done for scholarships and teen suicide prevention has been remarkable. They set up another scholarship ride for a local brother who lost his life in a car accident. They took care of his widow and a fund is there for his child's college education. They sent two truckloads of supplies for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. I have seen nothing but good from these fine men.

The text of the Edict is not yet available. It will be released soon.

Remember brothers, subdue your passions. Even in times like this, show what it is to be a Mason. Show the Grand Lodge of Massachussetts that Widow's Sons are Masons first. Respond with Masonry, and this edict may soon be changed or even done away with.

Regarding edicts: for those in Massachusetts you should contact your District Deputy Grand Master with your opinion. I also recommend you contact the Grand Secretary (And the same goes for all those not in Massachusetts).

Edited by MaestroJ - December/11/2013 at 10:16pm
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2013 at 5:25am
This too shall pass. Our Grand Master last year issued a poorly worded edict that banned a bunch of religions from masonry. While he got some of them right (like odinism), he got some very wrong too (like Gnosticism). Either way there was a big uproar and the edict was struck down at Grand Lodge. I imagine this too will happen.

I wonder why it happened in the first place. It's not like the Widows Sons are criminals like other biker gangs. They don't wear 1%er patches and they don't involve themselves in illegal activity (as far as I know).
Gainesville Lodge #41
Oleeta-Westdade Lodge #145
32°, Valley of Miami
http://srmiami.org/
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2013 at 7:29am
I worked closely with the Grand Master of Massachusetts on Masonic matters a number of years ago. While I haven't had contact with him for a number of years, I think I know him well enough that I can safely say that he would not do things without a reason.  An example would be a previous edict (the only other one I know of) he issued requiring cellphones to be shut off in tyled lodges. He hesitated to issue this but did so after someone recorded lodge proceedings on a cell phone and posted them on the internet. (Grand Lodge caught them almost right away and took it down; it was up on the net for around 20 minutes, I am told.)

So, when the reasons for the "Widows Sons Edict" are known, people may agree or disagree as to the validity of them, but there will be a reason or reasons i.e. it won't be that he merely doesn't like them.

Edited by droche - December/12/2013 at 7:30am
ga.mason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga.mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2013 at 9:14am
Just my two cents. I ride a bike and am a membering of the Traveling Men, a Masonic Riding group. We had to jump through many hoops to even be approved by the GLof GA. We even went so far as to meet with the local 1% bikers explaining our mission and that we werent out for "thier" turf. While the Widow Sons are a similar group, they do attempt, at least around here, to emulate that bad boy image that many may construe as being a 1% club.  If I had to guess that may have influenced the GM to issue his edict. Im not saying all WS chapters are acting a ceartain way but there is usually more to the story than we know. I will be curious to find out why he issued the edict.
Snellville Lodge#99

Snellville,Georgia

Past Master 2011

2009 Mason of the Year (Snellville #99)

2011 Lodge of the Year (9th District)

DDGM Ninth District, Subdistrict F
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2013 at 1:58pm
I can only deduce that the edict was put in place to protect the Craft from the public.

The ONLY logical reason I can think of is that the general public's mind jumps to gang activity instantly regardless of affiliation. Especially when someone in the public does not recognize the S/C and what it stands for. There are people out there who do not know what a Freemason is or what the Square and Compass represents. We could just be some street thugs for all they know and now are associating that symbol of the craft with the colors of other gangs.

I don't think the GM is doing it to punish the brethren but more so to keep masonry in a favorable light where the public is concerned even if the reasons behind it are just "manifestations" in the public's eye.
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

F&AM GLNJ
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2013 at 2:04pm

The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge

Of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons

Of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=5815270&msgid=315570&act=FH3C&c=1210314&destination=http%3A%2F%2Ficont.ac%2F27xsF&t=200http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=5815270&msgid=315570&act=FH3C&c=1210314&destination=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fshare%3Furl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Ficont.ac%252F27xsE%26text%3DA%2BMessage%2Bfrom%2Bthe%2BGrand%2BMaster%26via%3DMassFreemasonry&t=300

December 12, 2013

At the December Quarterly Communication, I issued an edict on the floor of the Grand Lodge in reference to the Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association.

The full text of my edict can be found as follows:

It is the Grand Master’s responsibility to protect and uphold the principles and prerogatives of the fraternity. Any club, association, or group that requires membership in the fraternity as a pre-requisite falls under the authority of the Grand Lodge.

In 1931, at the March Quarterly Communication, M.W. Herbert W. Dean put it best when he said “the attitude of this Grand Lodge towards [clubs] has… been one of neutrality, as long as their [actions do] not intrude upon [the principles and] prerogatives [of our] Fraternity, or [that] their conduct in any way bring discredit to [the Fraternity.]”

The time has now come when it is necessary to protect our fraternity’s principles and prerogatives. Recent activities in connection with the Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association have underscored a divergence between the practices of their association and the principles and prerogatives of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

By its own rules, the Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association permits no Chapter to be formed in a Masonic jurisdiction without the consent of its local Grand Lodge. The Widows Sons Massachusetts Grand Chapter never requested or received the permission of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts to operate in this jurisdiction.

Therefore, it is my edict that no member of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts be a member of any Chapter of the Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association. Failure to comply with this edict shall subject the offending member to the disciplinary action of suspension or expulsion.

No one has been suspended as a result of this edict.

This was not an easy decision to make. This course of action was taken because it is in the best interest of Massachusetts Freemasonry.

Please direct any inquiries or comments to the business office of Grand Lodge.  They can be reached via email at BusinessOffice@MassFreemasonry.net.

Fraternally,

M.W. Richard J. Stewart

Grand Master

Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2013 at 3:02pm
I'm gonna email them later. They probably don't care what I have to say, but my take on it is...really? They didn't ask for permission so instead of asking them to ask for permission, you ban them for....not respecting your authority and asking you? I just don't understand. I wonder if a private quarrel led to this edict. That's what happened in Florida. The Grand Master felt disrespected and issued a ridiculous edict. Grand Lodge struck it down as soon as they were able.
Gainesville Lodge #41
Oleeta-Westdade Lodge #145
32°, Valley of Miami
http://srmiami.org/
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2013 at 8:44pm
Just playing devil's advocate here- If they violate their own rules by not asking, is it incumbent on  Grand Lodge to go to them and ask them to ask? The burden is on Widows Sons, not Grand Lodge.

What I found intriguing was the edict says, Recent activities in connection with the Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association have underscored a divergence between the practices of their association and the principles and prerogatives of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts. That tells me something happened that raised the eyebrows of Grand Lodge. Of course I am just speculating.  I don't think Grand Lodge is going to disclose what it was so anything I hear is just going to be rumor, and, knowing Massachusetts like I know Massachusetts, rumors are going to start flying, and I am not going to get involved.

What also leads me to think something else is going on is that WS has been in Massachusetts for several years now and Grand Lodge certainly knew of their existence. If getting permission to operate in Massachusetts was so important to Grand Lodge why did they not ban them at the outset for not doing so instead of waiting several years? Sounds to me that giving the reason of not obtaining approval to operate was a convenient way of dealing with the matter and not getting down into any messy allegations or what have you.

My opinion and my opinion only, I do not think it involves a personal quarrel.

Sad these things happen; it creates disharmony. I can only trust that the Grand Master acted in the best interests of Massachusetts Freemasonry.

For the sake of disclosure, two or threel years ago I attended an informational meeting for a local chapter of WS forming in my area. I decided at the time that it wasn't for me. That is not to pass judgement on the organization one way or another; it just wasn't for me.
nevburt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nevburt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2013 at 5:08pm
There has to more to this than meets the eye because from the information one can glean from above it appears petty and childish. As a WS member this edict would - conflict with my duty to myself - so I would have to move on down the road.
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2013 at 6:47am
Originally posted by nevburt nevburt wrote:

There has to more to this than meets the eye because from the information one can glean from above it appears petty and childish. As a WS member this edict would - conflict with my duty to myself - so I would have to move on down the road.

Please explain the duty to which you refer (?)
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
nevburt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nevburt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2013 at 7:48pm
Obligations I (and we) have taken in Masonry that had the "assurance" that the Obligation I was about to take... "does not conflict with your duty to God, your country or yourself" etc.. Should the "rules laws and edicts of the most Worshipful Grand Lodge" interfere with my duty to myself then my obligation is no longer valid. My obligations I took upon myself, I did not agree to be dictated to. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic