Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Walter Hunt, Freemason’s Information Age Pioneer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walter Hunt, Freemason’s Information Age Pioneer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squire Bentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walter Hunt, Freemason’s Information Age Pioneer
    Posted: February/08/2014 at 11:30am

Right Worshipful Brother Walter Hunt, Grand Historian for the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts AF & AM.  Hunt is a most remarkable man who has been a writer all his life and a full time professional since 2001. He is the author of four science fiction novels by Tor Books – The Dark Wing series, which has been compared to the works of, Orson Scott Card, Frank Herbert, David Weber, and J.R.R. Tolkien. The series has been published in English and German and The Dark Wing has also appeared in Russian.

Since these works he has written “A Song In Stone,” which deals with the mystery of Rosslyn Chapeland the secrets of the Templars.

But his crowning Masonic achievement, the pièce de résistance , is his website  Masonic Genealogy.

MasonicGenealogy is intended for use as a research tool for Masonic historians. It is the synthesis of readily-available sources presented in the form of a wiki, a searchable database consisting of pages connected by links. The content is constantly evolving and enlarging, and all material on the site is subject to change as new material becomes available.

REST OF ARTICLE: http://www.freemasoninformation.com/2014/02/walter-hunt-freemasons-information-age-pioneer/

Illigitimi non corborundum
PeterfromNovaScotia View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterfromNovaScotia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2014 at 5:32am
That's for the information, I own the Dark Wing series in my collection. I had no idea he was a freemason.
Petitioned Valley Lodge #90 April 14, 2012
IC - May 28, 2012
Voted On - June 13, 2012
EA - Sept 12, 2012
FC - Oct 10, 2012
MM - Nov 20, 2012
Squire Bentley View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squire Bentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2014 at 10:29am
Peter,

I will be up in Nova Scotia this summer. How's chances of getting together?

Frederic L. Milliken
Illigitimi non corborundum
CAMB.MASON View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAMB.MASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 2:36pm
I know Walter very well, and for those that are doing research or just want to look up Masonic items from New England, than Walter's site Masonicgenealogy.com is the place.  I use it all the time. 
I remain Fraternally Yours:

Curator & Historian
Cambridge Masonic Temple Cambridge, Massachusetts

GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2014 at 10:12am
I came across two books by this author: A Song In Stone and Elements of Mind, in my research on Freemasonry.  Along with HARMONY by HRH, Charles, the Prince of Wales.
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by GrimoireA3 GrimoireA3 wrote:

I came across two books by this author: A Song In Stone and Elements of Mind, in my research on Freemasonry.  Along with HARMONY by HRH, Charles, the Prince of Wales.

NOTE: Waltert H. Hunt's book: ELEMENTS OF MIND is due for release this July 8th.Clap

Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2014 at 12:32pm

NOTE: Waltert H. Hunt's book: ELEMENTS OF MIND is due for release this July 8th.Clap

Hi all,

Obviously I got the original HUNT of this topic confused with the author of ELEMENTS OF MIND.  Sorry. Embarrassed But I would still like to continue along these lines regarding another populist book name-dropping Masonry: 'THE BOOK OF FATE' (2006) by Brad Meltzer.

As I await my copy of ELEMENTS OF MIND, I fixated on a book with the Square & Compass on its front cover and grabbed it for a quick read.  Anybody familiar with the title: THE BOOK OF FATE?  The capital 'A' is in the shape of the Square & Compass by the way.  Thanx!
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2014 at 7:27pm
I read it some years ago... around '06.  I recall it being an entertaining novel, and a work of fiction.  I would caution you not to think it at all fact based, nor use it as any frame of reference.  
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2014 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

I read it some years ago... around '06.  I recall it being an entertaining novel, and a work of fiction.  I would caution you not to think it at all fact based, nor use it as any frame of reference.  
Hi Adept?

It's not fact based at all but  fiction.  So far it may be entertaining, but it treats Masonry in a sinister manner.  I immediately thought of penning a book on Masonry where Freemasons come to the rescue and the fraternity works together to save the day.  Are there any books out there with that type of theme??  Thanx!
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2014 at 12:18pm
Not that I have read.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2014 at 4:41pm

Not that I have read.

Hmmmm,  then maybe its about time one came out?  Unfortunately, Sinister Sells!  Look at the way Dan Brown villified the Catholic Church in his novels?

But I think there might be a 'niche' market for a work were the Masons are the heroes?  Maybe Walter Hunt should pen his next book along those lines after ELEMENTS OF MIND makes him money??Yes
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2014 at 10:25pm
A book under the fiction genre where Masons would be heroes is a good, well intentioned thought but runs a risk of doing more harm than good in my view.  For one thing, people reading it who do not know much about Masons might come to have unrealistic expectations of Masons. When they find out the reality is different it could cloud their view of Masons and Masonry.  It sort of reminds me of a woman in California many years ago who beat the hell out of a soap opera star who played a villain on the show when she saw him on the street. She couldn't separate the fiction from the reality.

Another thing that could happen is it could further arouse the anti-masonic crowd and make them more zealous in their efforts. While I am not afraid of anti-masons, we really don't need them to be more energetic than they already are. Funny thing is, there is enough bad fiction about Masonry out there and we all know the damage it has done, what many don't realize is that good fiction could be just as harmful.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 1:38am
Agreed
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 9:56am
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

A book under the fiction genre where Masons would be heroes is a good, well intentioned thought but runs a risk of doing more harm than good in my view.  For one thing, people reading it who do not know much about Masons might come to have unrealistic expectations of Masons. When they find out the reality is different it could cloud their view of Masons and Masonry.  It sort of reminds me of a woman in California many years ago who beat the hell out of a soap opera star who played a villain on the show when she saw him on the street. She couldn't separate the fiction from the reality.

Another thing that could happen is it could further arouse the anti-masonic crowd and make them more zealous in their efforts. While I am not afraid of anti-masons, we really don't need them to be more energetic than they already are. Funny thing is, there is enough bad fiction about Masonry out there and we all know the damage it has done, what many don't realize is that good fiction could be just as harmful.

Yes, very true. Good answer. Which is why I'm on this site asking the experts. I hate being wrong.
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 1:19pm
If I recall correctly, the detective in National Treasure was a Mason. He was a good guy :)
Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 2:03pm
yup, that's true he was.

Edited by Adept? - August/22/2014 at 2:03pm
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2014 at 8:54am
Originally posted by windrider windrider wrote:

If I recall correctly, the detective in National Treasure was a Mason. He was a good guy :)
Hi windrider,

Actually I think he was an FBI Agent played by Harvey Keitel, and he was more of an 'anti-hero' than actually a good guy.  Police are not the good guys.

For me, a plot would involve some sort of Freemason who stumbles upon a mystery with a potential threat to the nation or city or the world and calls in his Masonic resources to solve the problem or save the day or aids the authorities.
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2014 at 6:35am

Hi windrider,

Actually I think he was an FBI Agent played by Harvey Keitel, and he was more of an 'anti-hero' than actually a good guy.  Police are not the good guys.

For me, a plot would involve some sort of Freemason who stumbles upon a mystery with a potential threat to the nation or city or the world and calls in his Masonic resources to solve the problem or save the day or aids the authorities.

I think that's what we do all the time with the CHiP program Wink
Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2014 at 10:54am

Hi windrider,

I think that's what we do all the time with the CHiP program Wink

Hi,

If by CHip you mean California highway patrol I have only heard of it such as I have only heard of the Texas Rangers - only through T.V. My point is that not everyone likes or admires the police so you have to be careful in assuming the cops represent the good guys to everyone. That being identified, I think there is a 'niche' market for a book where the Freemasons save the day.
canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 12:00am
CHIP - Child Identification Program.
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 9:51am
Originally posted by canuck canuck wrote:

CHIP - Child Identification Program.

Thanks for the clarification. But how is child safety either unique or monopolized by the police??

Anyways, I reiterate that the police are not the good guys to all loyal and patriotic Americans, so a misguided Mason who is a cop would not fulfill a plot where the Masons are the good guys who save the day.
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2014 at 2:53pm

Hi Adept?,

I just finished reading: THE BOOK OF FATE(2006) by Brad Meltzer, and it had virtually NOTHING to do with Freemasonry. The author named- dropped Freemasonry maybe four times throughout his work yet nothing Masonic was connected to the plot, nothing at all. I thought it was a bit of false advertising to show a Masonic Square & Compass prominently on the front cover, the Book of Fate was an expression only and had zero connection to Masonry. I can't believe this book made it to the New York Time's best seller list. Must have been a good book agent.

I just received ELEMENTS OF MIND (2014) by Freemason Walter Hunt today in the mail and am looking forward to reading that book.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic