Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shriner Clubs!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Palata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shriner Clubs!?!?
    Posted: April/25/2014 at 12:58am
Greetings brothers! I just had a question about the shrine and the other clubs/groups within it. I'm joining the shrine this spring ceremonial... Or reunion. Not sure what it's called but I'm going through and I was wondering what clubs you guys are in and why you chose to be in them (obviously not the ones you have to be invited to) but just wanted to know so I can have an idea on what clubs I might find interest in. Like are there clubs that involve more things with the families and and bar b q events and stuff like that? Are there ones that focus on a lot of charities and fundraising? I know there's the widows sons and other bike units. Who's a member of that and how do you like it? Also one more question. I am a Master Mason but are there certain clubs I would not be able to join yet due to my age. (I'm 20 and my uncle was telling me how when he went through a long time ago there were organizations within the shrine you had to be 21 yrs old to be in it, are there still certain clubs that are like that? If so which ones?)
GAmastermason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAmastermason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2014 at 1:10am
You join the Shrine in a Ceremonial, the Scottish Rite you join in a Reunion and at least in Georgia getting all the York Rite degrees at once is called a Festival. 

I guess each jurisdiction could be different. In Georgia, you have to be 21 to become a Mason. 

I joined the Shrine back in November. I have joined my local Shrine Club which is basically like a satellite group with its own officers, fundraisers, parades, etc. Just a way for members to be more involved. My temple is Yaarab Shrine in Atlanta which is 65 miles from my home. I am also a member of the Knights of Mecca Unit which confers the Shrine Ceremonial and the Master Mason Degree for blue lodges upon request. It originally was made up of only Past Masters of Blue Lodges, but last year they opened it up to Associate Members who can participate (except voting), but are not yet Past Masters. There are lots of other clubs, units and associations...clowns, Arab Guard, Chanters, Oriental Band, Sporting Clays, Golf Tournament, etc. Depending on the Temple, some of the groups may be the same or not. They should have a time during the Ceremonial for a Q & A or presentation from each unit or club or at least have a representative for you to inquire and ask question about that group.
Past Master
Past High Priest
Past Illustrious Master
Past Eminent Commander
Past Worthy Patron OES
Yaarab Shriner
Tall Cedars of Lebanon
KYCH
AJ Palata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Palata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2014 at 5:47pm
Oh wow, okay very cool. Ya I didn't know there's going to be a Q and A part for the new shriners so that will probably help me out a lot haha. Now which ones involve more events with the families and friends of mine and other shriners? Like so my family and girlfriend can get involved and be a part of some of the fun activities and community helping events? Because I remember growing up and me and my family going to these shriner events and activities, And cookouts and stuff like that when my grandpa was alive and everyone having fun and being able to be a part of it. I wanna do that now with my family.
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2014 at 5:54pm
I see you're in Orlando. Which jurisdiction do you fall under? I'm in Florida as well. I'm curious which Shriner Organization you're joining. I only know about the Shriners under the GL of Florida.
Gainesville Lodge #41
AJ Palata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Palata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2014 at 6:44pm
It will be Bahia chapter. It's under the grand lodge of Florida. (I'm regular if that's what your wondering haha)
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2014 at 6:13am
Originally posted by AJ Palata AJ Palata wrote:

It will be Bahia chapter. It's under the grand lodge of Florida. (I'm regular if that's what your wondering haha)

My apologies Brother. You should put your lodge name and number in your signature!
Gainesville Lodge #41
AJ Palata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Palata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2014 at 3:15pm
You don't have to apologize brother! I always ask and make sure before I talk to anybody, ESPECIALLY since were in Florida with all these bogus Lodges. Eola Lodge #207 F&AM!
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2014 at 7:32pm
There are several sub-organizations within each Shrine center. There are "units", which are focused on one theme. Like a motorcycle unit, or an equestrian unit. Normally, a Shriner can join only one unit. There are medical units, and "Drum and Bugle" units, for example.

And there are clubs. There are two different types of clubs. There are clubs which focus on one topic. I am the founding president of the "voice of Aladdin" club at Aladdin Shrine, which is their radio communications organization. We decided to be a club, instead of a unit.

There are clubs which are organized for one specific geographic area, like the Reynoldsburg (Ohio) Shrine club. The club meets monthly for dinner.

Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
excellencee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excellencee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2014 at 8:45pm
When I was looking to join Syria Shrine, I was told that there was a un it or club for every interest. I joined the gun club and was looking joining the motor corp. White Harleys really caught my attention. There are other Shrines with Corvette clubs. If you have an interest that isn't represented at your Shrine, ask. If it's a workable idea they will put you in charge and let you go. A friend was looking to start a Bee keepers club before he died.
Past Master - Mahoning-New Castle Lodge 243
AASR Valley of New Castle
Hiram's Scottish Riders - Charter Member
Syria Shrine
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 5:52pm
If you are in the Shrine, and you wish to start a "theme" club, like beekeeping, or fishing, or stamp collecting, just approach your potentate, and ask!

When I moved to Columbus OH in 1990, there was no amateur radio club at Aladdin Shrine. I approached the potentate, and asked if I could set up an amateur radio club. He said "What is ham radio?". I responded, that it is a hobby for men and women who enjoy radio communication for recreation. He said, go right ahead, I will support you. (basically he was clueless).

We started assisting the shrine center, by providing radio communication by walkie-talkie, at Shrine events and parades. We proved so effective, that the Imperial potentate (The top man in the whole Shrine) asked us to assist at the imperial convention.

Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
Anthony660 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2014 at 12:57pm
I was a member of a local Shrine club that focused on fundrasing for transportation. Al Malaikah tries to have all the Clubs/Units at the ceremonials so new Nobles can see what is offered.
PM Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Al Malaikah Shrine AAONMS
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
GC Aben Zoar, Order of Alhambra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic