Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Candidate "Class Size"

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What size class do you think ideal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [77.78%]
4 [22.22%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Candidate "Class Size"
    Posted: April/28/2014 at 8:15am
In your experience, both personal and as an observer, what do you think should be the ideal "Class Size" for the candidates coming through your Lodge?

("Class" meaning the group of candidates to be conducted for degree work.)

Please also share reasons for your choice, thanks...
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2014 at 8:45am
I would think the 'ideal' class size is 'one'! The candidate deserves the full attention of the brethren and should be made to feel that he is an extremely important part of the proceedings. In practice, of course, this might not be possible. My Grand Lodge (Scotland) specifies in its 'Constitutions and Laws' the maximum number of candidates who can be put through each degree at one time - unfortunately I don't have a copy handy to check the exact number but I think it is either 5 or 7. My lodge presently has two candidates going through although one has had to miss his 3rd degree last week due to work commitments. I think the 'class' should be kept as small as possible in order to make each degree a very special occasion for the candidates.

P. Miller, P.M.

Anthony660 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2014 at 12:45pm

I firmly beleive that the cermonies are for one and only one man at a time.

PM Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Al Malaikah Shrine AAONMS
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
GC Aben Zoar, Order of Alhambra
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2014 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Anthony660 Anthony660 wrote:

I firmly beleive that the cermonies are for one and only one man at a time.

Please share the reasons behind your concerns, thanks
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
ldarnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ldarnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2014 at 1:31pm
Our candidates receive the degrees one at a time.  On nights when we do more than one EA or FC, we do the first part of the degrees separately, and then combine their lectures and charges.  For MM, we always try to keep to just one at at time. 

For us, itt is always about making it special for that person and devoting the time to "just them."  Our Grand Lodge does occasionally offer a one day C2A class.  It isn't very well thought of by the brothers. 
Larry Darnell
Senior Steward, St. Charles Lodge #241
Missouri Lodge of Research #9998
I: 02 April 2013
P: 01 May 2013
R: 07 May 2013
spqrdx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spqrdx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2014 at 3:20pm
My class is currently 6 men, however I voted for 2-5.  While attending classes with my brothers for the last 5 months, we've developed friendships along the way.  Most importantly, we've learned to rely on each other for help and encouragement.  What better way to teach new candidates brotherly love, relief, and truth?  With 2-5 candidates, each one still needs to learn nearly all of the catechism, while still not being out there alone.  Just my two cents as one very new to the craft.
Initiated 18 Nov 2013
Passed     3 Mar 2014
Raised     7 June 2014

Columbia Lodge #58
NewToLight84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2014 at 8:09pm
I just recently went through the EA with another and while there are some parts I would do different it was still a great experience. I agree with Idarnell with the idea of doing the first part separate and then combining the rest..for example in my case I wish they would have lets just say "opened" my eyes later than they did...
Leviathon32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leviathon32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 11:53pm
I answered One Candidate at a time, but that is actually only my answer for the Entered Apprentice and Master Mason Degrees. In our Jurisdiction, the first half of the EA Degree and the last half of the Master Mason Degree can ONLY be done one candidate at a time. Doing multiple candidates at one time on those degrees therefore makes for a long night, and even worse requires candidates to sit around 'doing nothing' while the other candidates are being worked.

For the Fellowcraft Degree my answer is as many as your Lodge Room can comfortably accommodate (up the the constitutional limit of five). Other than having a lot more people moving around, nothing really changes for a FC Degree between one candidate and five candidates.
Lodge #31 WM, #203 SD
SR Valley of Rockland (4-18) and Portland. JW of RC
Registered DeMolay Adviser and (soon to be) Rainbow Adviser

Chap 24/Cou 6/Com 9/Kora Shrine (Not an officer)
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2014 at 3:55pm
Thank you all for the responses so far. Its great to see the different perspectives. Some may focus on the rule as provided by the GL, others look at the efficiency in performing the degree work, and yet others may focus on the bonds that may arise outside of the ceremonial event.

Of course, all these parts are important factors in looking at a broad preference question like this, so this is why its good to get these different responses!
----------------------

Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 4:03pm
My preference is one.

I was in a  class of 4 (there are only 2 of us left) and I have seen classes of more men dwindle.

You see, freemasonry is a man's sole journey among many brothers. He decides his path and walks it. It's just him figuring out his own niche within the fraternity. Not all have the same enthusiasm or the same goals. Having a class of multiple people encourage those with more noble goals carry and support those who may not be so eager or demanding...

However, logistically, it is better to have a group go through the degrees together than have each one separately
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
Mosaic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mosaic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2014 at 8:20am
I dont like multi-candidate classes, but I understand why they may be necessary.

I: 8/2/2012
P: 9/6/2012
R: 11/12/12
Nero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2014 at 12:46pm
I went through solo , I studied my catechism solo and that is the way I preferred . Going through the degrees solo made each degree night my own . Studying solo , I am a quick study and memorization comes quickly and easily for me so I had the opportunity to learn and return at my own pace and not worry about another candidate (sounds selfish I know but thats how I prefer it) .

As for new brethren , I actually prefer to confer degrees one at a time for the very same reason as my own . It should be their night also it is more personal for myself who is conferring the degrees and  the candidate , we are conversing face to face one on one . When it is larger classes , it feels impersonal and I feel as if I am just some lecturer in a class room and that throws me off my game . I confer degrees in a conversational tone/style as if the candidate and I are chatting over a cup of coffee .

Edited by Nero - October/18/2014 at 12:49pm
jdeal View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2014 at 6:51pm
Agreed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic