Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A non affiliated period

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UsnRet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A non affiliated period
    Posted: May/12/2014 at 1:58pm
I was raised 7 May 1962.Stayed current with my lodge until 1999 when a personal bankruptcy caused many things not to be paid,including my lodge dues.Did not pay dues at all.Re-instated in my original lodge Jan 2013 so therefore not affiliated with a lodge for that time period and I was still a master mason but not a member of a lodge.I received my masonic anniversary card for 2014 and it stated that it was my 38th year.Being I have been a master mason for 52 years is there a  bylaw  that covers a person such as me and does not recognize my total time? Thanks all,you have been a big help to me in the past.
Raised 7 May 1962.
GAmastermason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAmastermason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2014 at 6:55pm
I am sure each jurisdiction is different, but in mine if you are suspended for non-payment of dues your time of service stops and you are not a Mason. You are a suspended Mason, but can still live it's precepts. Therefore your situation is correct because you were out so many years. Time is not retroactive. The only way this could have been prevented is if you and your lodge had made arrangements before your suspension. You are stuck with the outcome at this point.
Past Master
Past High Priest
Past Illustrious Master
Past Eminent Commander
Past Worthy Patron OES
Yaarab Shriner
Tall Cedars of Lebanon
KYCH
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2014 at 8:15am
I see you are in PA, which is where I am from, also.  It is my understanding that the time you were suspended for non payment of dues does not count towards your total years.  I would suggest you contact The Grand Lodge of PA just to be sure.  They should be able to help you with any questions you may have.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2014 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by GAmastermason GAmastermason wrote:

I am sure each jurisdiction is different, but in mine if you are suspended for non-payment of dues your time of service stops and you are not a Mason. You are a suspended Mason, but can still live it's precepts. Therefore your situation is correct because you were out so many years. Time is not retroactive. The only way this could have been prevented is if you and your lodge had made arrangements before your suspension. You are stuck with the outcome at this point.

Allow me to modify your words for accuracy's sake:

...if you are suspended for non-payment of dues your time of service stops and you are not a Mason in good standing...
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
TakRail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TakRail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 12:02pm
I believe that in most jurisdictions it is as NobleShabba has mentioned. Should for any reason you not be a currently dues paying member of some lodge you are not considered a member of masonry and therefore that time is not considered as such. 
Initiated - April 27th 2007
Passed - June 13th 2007
Raised - August 8th 2007
AASR 32° - August 10th 2012

rmcgehee View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcgehee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 1:11pm
In Calif, you would be considered an Inactive Mason while under SNPD. Time stops while in this Inactive status. You are still considered a Mason however.
E- 9/29/81.P- 11/10/81.R- 1/19/82
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2014 at 6:27am
Originally posted by TakRail TakRail wrote:

I believe that in most jurisdictions it is as NobleShabba has mentioned. Should for any reason you not be a currently dues paying member of some lodge you are not considered a member of masonry and therefore that time is not considered as such.

Actually, to make sure I am clear, once a Mason, always a Mason - unless you are expelled.   

Originally posted by rmcgehee rmcgehee wrote:

In Calif, you would be considered an Inactive Mason while under SNPD. Time stops while in this Inactive status. You are still considered a Mason however.

I agree. To my teachings, "Inactive" equals "not in good standing" which means the person is not permitted to display, wear or represent any form of Masonry - and during that time is not afforded any of the l,r&b of such.

So while brothers are still EXPECTED to treat the brother as a Mason, we are also not allowed to get into masonic discourse with that brother until restored.
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
UsnRet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UsnRet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2014 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by NobleShabba NobleShabba wrote:

Originally posted by TakRail TakRail wrote:

Actually, to make sure I am clear, once a Mason, always a Mason - unless you are expelled.   

Originally posted by rmcgehee rmcgehee wrote:

I agree. To my teachings, "Inactive" equals "not in good standing" which means the person is not permitted to display, wear or represent any form of Masonry - and during that time is not afforded any of the l,r&b of such.

So while brothers are still EXPECTED to treat the brother as a Mason, we are also not allowed to get into masonic discourse with that brother until restored.
In my humble opinion I concur with "once a mason,always a mason."When you were made a master mason you were a mason for life.You earned it.If for a personal reason you can not retain your dues in a lodge but still for however long continue your masonic understandings and stay on the right path,why should one be penalized? I know I will never forget what it means to be a Mason.
Raised 7 May 1962.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic