Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple canadates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple canadates
    Posted: March/24/2014 at 10:16pm
I was recently doing some research and found out that it was possible in my area to have multiple candidates receive there degrees EA, FC and MM at the sme time. Not just same days but, at the exact same time from why I understand they would share the ritual. I have heard of there being special occasions that a man can receive his MM degree in a group but...I want anyone who cares to share there opinion on this. I like the idea of say 3 or 4 MM being raised together. But, I want my EA degree to be "my own" experience...I know that I will get the assistance of Masons at my lodge for the degree work but....I don't know is that selfish of me? Very interested to see what others think..I know in my heart it wouldn't matter if there were 2-3 other men there seeking the same, I'm sure it will still be a moment I won't forget. Thanks!
jdeal View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2014 at 8:28pm
What is everyone's take on multiples during degrees does it diminish the experience or does it create a stronger bond with the other brother and the learning of the work?
Pscyclepath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pscyclepath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2014 at 6:57am
In many jurisdictions only one candidate at a time can be taken through the first section of any of the three degrees, and the second section of the masters. Once the candidate has been individually obligated and instructed, it is allowed to present the 2nd & 3rd section of the EA, the second second of the Fellowcraft, and the 3rd Section of the Masters to a "class" of more than one candidate.

Rules will differ for the York and Scottish Rites, but in the blue lodge, 1 degree = 1 candidate in most places. 
Tom Ezell
Adoniram #288, F&AM
Mablevale, AR
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2014 at 10:37am
In my jurisdiction, we can have up to five candidates going through the degrees at one time. There are certain sections of the First and Third degrees that must be conferred on each candidate separately, of course. 

I find the classes bond quite nicely when the lodge puts in the effort to create bonding opportunities. We have cipher classes and a program called "Cable-Tow Brothers" where we get together to discuss each degree as they go through them. 

I invite all of our candidates to come with me to another lodge to see the degrees they have been through from the sidelines. This not only bonds them, it also shows them a little of the wider bond they have with other lodges and brothers. 

Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
jdeal View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2014 at 8:14pm
So far we have done back to back multiple degrees and to say the least it went very well. Just a little different in a few ways. Perfecting it as we go. I had a brother who is waiting to be raised to the sublime degree and he said he would have preferred to go alone.
Sojourner33 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sojourner33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2014 at 9:22pm
I was able to experience both.  

There were three of us for both my EA and FC Degrees (all from different Lodges).  It did create a unique opportunity for bonding and I'm glad that they were there with me.  I don't think it diminished my experience in any way.

When I was Raised it was just me.  Although it would have been equally as memorable and meaningful if there were several of us going through together, I enjoyed experiencing that by myself.
Timothy L. Huggins
Ensley Lodge #278 F&AM

Initiated - 5/9/14
Passed - 6/13/14
Raised - 8/8/14
jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2014 at 3:29pm
For my EA degree, it was a class of 8.  I don't remember how many went through for FC, but when I was raised, there were four of us.  (DC)
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
NewToLight84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2014 at 9:34am
I went through my EA with another brother and then went through my FC with the same brother and it was still a good experience of course but I did request that if there was any way I could be raised by myself so it would feel more like "MY" experience and the WM kindly made arrangements for me to have my own raising... That for me was odviously much more personal and that's how I would of preferred my first two as well. Come to think if it I haven't seen the other brother since the FC degree. I should ask about that...not sure if he ever came back.
"Be careful how you live. You may be the only Mason some people will ever meet." -unknown
rickcarver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickcarver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2014 at 9:50am
We have done it before. We take them through the first section by themselves and only double-up during the lectures. The Stair Lecture is done one at a time also. It makes for a long night, but they get more out of it that way.
Rick Carver, PM

Petulant fuddy-duddy on the North side of the Lodge
jdeal View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2014 at 1:12pm
Agreed.
Troberts505 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troberts505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2014 at 11:25am
I went through all 3 degrees with brother, it was fantastic, and I wouldn't change it. is was nice to become "brother brothers" together!
Initiated 04/05/2013
Passed 05/15/2013
Raised 06/19/2013
Hiram Lodge #13
Mesa Lodge #68
Albuquerque, NM
NewToLight84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2014 at 11:50am
It seems that Brothers whose Lodges are are in "Big" areas that there are more multiple candidates...which makes sense..
"Be careful how you live. You may be the only Mason some people will ever meet." -unknown
MasonicFirefighter View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasonicFirefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2014 at 12:15pm
My EA I went through with someone else, but the other degrees I went through solo due to the others being sick / injured / not up to speed on their work. Our jurisdiction allows for a max of 5 at a time. There are parts that are done individually to prevent spoilers and ruining the moment, such as the back half of the third, but the most of it is done together when it happens. I think in the long run it helps to have a brother you can look to and say you went through it all with.
"Us few good men need to stand together in Light to avoid darkness"

E: 8/2/2011
P: 11/15/2011
R: 3/5/2012

Acacia Lodge #169
Carolina Lodge #375 (Demitted)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic