Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Masonry and Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masonry and Islam
    Posted: July/27/2014 at 8:41am
Greetings! I hope all is in good health,

Before I ask for opinions, I wish to seek any Muslim Brothers here to ensure the accuracy of this post.

That being said, I will ask my first question... Do you find any contradictions between Freemasonry and Islam?

Edited by Poet - July/27/2014 at 8:42am
I-09/24/13
P-10/28/13
R-11/26/13
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2014 at 1:57pm
Could you be more specific?    There are many beliefs within the umbrella of Islam that are not shared universally even within that sphere, much less to attempt to find contradictions between Islam and our gentle craft.
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2014 at 6:15pm
I've met a few jewish brothers, mostly Christians, and some that (like myself) claim no organized religion, but simply believe in the G.A.O.T.U. I don't believe I have ever met a Muslim brother. You may be hard pressed to find one.

"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
js584 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js584 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2014 at 6:38pm
It has been my understanding that Masonry and Islam are not compatible.  Your post piqued my interest and I found something interesting at  http://islamqa.info/en/34576

In many mid-east countries Masonry is illegal.
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2014 at 8:27am
I just had a look at the URL js584 posted.  Wow.
I will not comment further, positive or negative, but I would very much like to see some discussion both from  more scholarly sources and from any Muslim Brothers that may care to comment.
Fraternally and Respectfully
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, FL
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
Poet View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2014 at 9:10am
Maybe I should have been clear, however this is in a public forum. To clarify, I am a MM in good standing as well as a Muslim if you will. This was not always the case because much like you Adept? I claimed no organized religion, just a monotheist that studied other religions to gain spiritual awareness (UUs do the same) and with this search, I could not deny the facts of Islam which led me to revert 'recently'. After deeper studying, I started finding contradictions (minor but in Islam any contradiction is considered 'haram') i.e. the way canidates are prepared would not be acceptable because the `awrah is not properly covered- which is not an issue unless you are a Muslim coming into the Craft. Again i needed a second opinion from another Brother in my situation (have one in my lodge but would not be appropriate to ask in his current condition).
Also, I'm a little confused about the umbrella comment concerning different beliefs... there is only one belief.. one sect which we follow the Qur'an, Hadiths, and four schools of thought (if this is what you were referring to). I am willing to hear the opinion of others but you would need to provide proof.
Lastly, I had read that post js584 provided prior to this post which further questioned the difference between the two (although there are surprisingly MANY similarities).

May the G.A.O.T.U. guide us all and peace be with you!

I-09/24/13
P-10/28/13
R-11/26/13
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2014 at 3:26pm
Freemasonry is not in conflict with Islam religion its self.   But, Imams, religious leaders, and Muslim governments fear Freemasonry (or any large social group) because of the political power they believe exist or could form which would undermine their own authority.     ... The political turmoil of Egypt during the late 1800's and early 1900's is a case in point.   All the leaders in those revolts were Freemasons.  Thus, Freemasonry was banned in Egypt in 1964.    see "Freemasonry in Egypt: Is It Still Around?" by Samir Raafat in Insight Magazine, March 1, 1999. http://www.glbet-el.org/masonictexte/egypte.pdf

Edited by edwmax - July/29/2014 at 3:31pm
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2014 at 10:06am
Originally posted by js584 js584 wrote:

It has been my understanding that Masonry and Islam are not compatible.  Your post piqued my interest and I found something interesting at  http://islamqa.info/en/34576

I am aware that there are guidelines on how to take the obligation from a candidate who is Muslim vs not, but I cant go into too much detail in an untyled space.
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2014 at 3:44pm
This is not my lodge, but the visiting Brother came to our lodge many times, and we became good friends with him and his lovely wife.

http://www.hiram40.org/a-visitor-from-turkey
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2014 at 7:42pm
In the name of ALLAH, the mighty and the merciful. For the record, I am not a Muslim. I have spent many years in predominately Islamic nations. (Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Afghanistan). I have studied Islam thoroughly, and lived under Sharia law.

I have also been a Mason for over 30 years. I have found no conflict at all, between Islam and Freemasonry. I have attended lodge with muslims, both in the USA and abroad.

I once participated in a Fellow Craft degree ceremony, where the brother took his solemn oath on the Holy Qu'Ran. I held the Holy Qu'Ran in my hands, while he took the oath.

The Grand Lodge of Indiana has selected certain Surahs (verses) of the Holy Qu'Ran, which are to be used in the Craft degrees.

And it is true, that Freemasonry is outlawed in many predominately Muslim nations.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 8:44am
Originally posted by js584 js584 wrote:

I will certainly comment on this link and its contents: The author of the page is deluded. 

I am not a scholar of Islam but I am a Freemason and know that there are very few true statements on that page. If that is what Muslims are being taught about Freemasonry, then I understand why we have been declared an enemy of Al Quida! 

We do not seek the destruction of anything, we are builders. 

We are not against any religion. We simply insist that our members believe in a Supreme Being to whom they are accountable. We encourage our members to be active in their faiths.

There is no conflict between Islam and Freemasonry. Any details of our degrees and ceremonies that would conflict with the beliefs or traditions of any man's faith will be accommodated as we would never interfere with the manner in which a man worships his Creator. 

For example, I attended an Entered Apprentice Degree where one of the candidates was a Sikh. Normally, only the highest ranking brother in the room may wear any kind of hat. The candidate was not only allowed but encouraged to wear his head covering during the degree as this is an article of faith for him. 
Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 9:36am
Methinks windrider's response should close this thread! :)
----------------------

rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 10:53am

I am most decidedly NOT a scholar in this area. Just a guy who reads the papers and observes what’s going on around him.

My observation in this area is basically that our Muslim neighbors regard anyone who is not a Muslim as apostate. An objective is to convert us; if conversion fails, many of our neighbors regard this as a capital offense. This even seems to extend to the variations in belief systems within Islam. Read the papers, look at the TV news every day and you’ll see what I mean.

Out of the hundreds of millions of Muslims in the world, I am sure that there are many, perhaps a majority, with more relaxed or liberal views, but, unfortunately, these people  are not speaking up, and until they do, the intolerance and violence encouraged by the radical Islamists will continue to pollute the world.

And as long as the political arm of Islam controls a country, you can bet that tolerance for the concepts we hold dear as Masons will be non-existent.

Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
js584 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js584 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 4:47pm
I want to clear up any misconceptions that I may have created.  I am not against Islam or any other religion nor do I ask a Mason's religion before I call him brother.  I spoke from what I have personally experienced.  I am happy to have been corrected.  

Poet View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2014 at 4:46pm
Thank you all for taking time to contribute to this post.

There are some misconceptions I would like to clear... first, the link provided by js584 is apparently not a valid response. The writer had no authority to speak on Masonry as he was not a Mason, in which the most he could have stated was 'I don't know' instead of spreading lies to the OP (a great sin). This is how many Muslims get the idea that Masonry is an enemy of Islam- which is going off into another subject. Great read by the Ed! Another is the post by rchadwic... what we call an apostate is one whom leaves Islam and become an enemy aginst us, but unfortunately there is that minority that are lost in the path of Allah (swt) for thier own agendas. Again, another topic to be discussed- not at this time. From a Mason perspective, you all can understand the difficulties of defending our Gentle Craft from the misinformed. This is no different from defending our faith from the misinformed and as Muslim in Masonry, we take the hit extremely hard.

The objective of this post is to assist any future men in my case to verify misconceptions and understand the relationship between Islam and Masonry- Is being a Mason permissible?

Brother Martin, I'm glad to find you here. We have been in contact before about the Craft degrees in the Qur'an, but much time has passed since then. Jazakallah for your assistance. So upon reading your post you state that you don't find any contradictions with having a understanding of Islam. Brother windrider was going in the right direction when he stated that accommodations will be made so that Masonry will not interfere with one's faith, brilliant, however there is one thing I am seeking. With having a firm understanding of Islam, is the lessons from which we are taught as Masons absolutely acceptable in Islam?

Again thank you windrider for your post. That was information I was told before, but it had slipped my mind- it solved the 'awrah issue.
I-09/24/13
P-10/28/13
R-11/26/13
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2014 at 6:10pm
I believe the only real answer to your question is the advice many of us give to any man who is considering  submitting a petition, the decision should be made prayerfully and carefully. Ultimately, it is your relationship with your Creator that matters. 
Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2014 at 7:06pm
Brother Poet, I have not been present on this forum in a very long time and your post motivated me to write again...
I am an Orthodox Christian, but very familiar with the teachings of the Quran and very familiar with the masonic teachings. I've done a lot of research on this topic, because of several Muslim members of our lodge, whom I've sponsored over the past few years. 
There is no official opinion on this matter, so I can give you only my own view and thoughts...
It is very difficult to say whether the Quran, Hadith or Sunnah contains anything that contradicts Freemasonry, or vice-versa. 
I know many Christians who say that the Bible is incompatible with Freemasonry. Are they right? In their mind, in their understanding of the faith, in their own belief system - probably they are. However, my understanding of the faith and my belief system can't find any contradiction between Christianity and Freemasonry and I practice both fervently. 
The same applies to your case. The exact same text (especially when it comes to the Hadith) can be a point of lengthy discussion and disagreement among scholars - because each person has different approach to it. 
My advice is to read the Holy Quran carefully, to study it thoroughly and to discover your own path to the truth. If that path leads you further towards Freemasonry, great. If it leads you away from Freemasonry - Insha'Allah... either way - you will make the right choice.
Poet View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2014 at 9:38am
Brother canuck, It truly warms my heart to hear that my post rekindled that flame in you! I have put much thought and research into this subject, but did not find anything relevant. I may have been over-thinking, but I am a very cautious man. Personally between the two, I feel both complement each other extremely well. Until I find anything that contradicts my beliefs (God willing this will not happen), my choice will become very clear. So I shall remain to learn, share, and grow with my brothers. Thank you!
I-09/24/13
P-10/28/13
R-11/26/13
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2014 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Poet Poet wrote:

Do you find any contradictions between Freemasonry and Islam?

Hi Poet,

If Mustafa Kamil Attaturk had no problem with Freemasonry, I don't see why there would be any contradictions between Freemasonry and Islam.
Mustafa Kamil was raised in a Masonic Lodge in Greece.

In fact Freemasony could be a good compliment to Islam. Have you ever considered that?
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 12:02am
Attaturk would not be the best example for a devout Muslim :)
However, there are many devout Muslims that are Freemasons. 
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 10:01am
Originally posted by canuck canuck wrote:

Attaturk would not be the best example for a devout Muslim :)
However, there are many devout Muslims that are Freemasons. 

Hi Canuck,

Actually, Mustapha Kemal was a very devout Muslim before he was raised into Lodge VERITAS in 1907 under a charter from the French Grand Orient.

It appeared Masonry promoted -- Laicite' -- (French) secularity as practiced in France. And this is when Mustapha Kemal Attaturk separated church and state in the former Ottoman Empire and formed the modern state of Turkey (after WWI).

There are quite a few devout Muslims in secular Turkey just as there are quite a few devout Christians in secular USA.

P.S. Some of my Kurdish and Turkish acquaintances here in Boston, MA., expressed admiration for Attaturk when I brought this subject to them. That kinda surprised me.
canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 1:25pm
Grimoire - not quite... I am from that part of the world and very well acquainted with the history of our region (of which both Kemal Ataturk and the masonic lodges are a significant part). The city of Montastir, which plays significant part in his early career and life, is today's Bitola in Macedonia (my native country).
Ataturk's political and social views were defined while he was still at the high-school and the military school.
It was his father that insisted on secular education. In general, the Turkish population living in Macedonia, especially the south, by the end of 19th century was not very devout, particularly in Thessaloniki. It was a multi-faith, liberal city, with quite a lot of freedom for people of various backgrounds (not quite the case with the rest of the empire).
There is no surprise that the Turkish people express admiration with him - he is the "Father" of the nation (Ataturk means Father of Turks). He created modern day Turkey and from a society that was very technologically and socially inferior, he created a modern state, with higher ranking in any aspect, than any of its neighbours (including the European neighbours). 
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by canuck canuck wrote:

Grimoire - not quite... I am from that part of the world and very well acquainted with the history of our region (of which both Kemal Ataturk and the masonic lodges are a significant part). The city of Montastir, which plays significant part in his early career and life, is today's Bitola in Macedonia (my native country).
Ataturk's political and social views were defined while he was still at the high-school and the military school.
It was his father that insisted on secular education. In general, the Turkish population living in Macedonia, especially the south, by the end of 19th century was not very devout, particularly in Thessaloniki. It was a multi-faith, liberal city, with quite a lot of freedom for people of various backgrounds (not quite the case with the rest of the empire).
There is no surprise that the Turkish people express admiration with him - he is the "Father" of the nation (Ataturk means Father of Turks). He created modern day Turkey and from a society that was very technologically and socially inferior, he created a modern state, with higher ranking in any aspect, than any of its neighbours (including the European neighbours). 

Hi Canuck,

Thank you for the insights.
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 3:57pm
Brother Poet wrote: however there is one thing I am seeking. With having a firm understanding of Islam, is the lessons from which we are taught as Masons absolutely acceptable in Islam?
-----
I am not a Muslim. I have studied the faith for many years, since I was first posted to Saudi Arabia in 1991. I have read the Holy Qu'Ran, and I cherish truth, regardless of the source.

I have also studied Masonry, since I was made a Mason in 1982. I cherish its truths as well. The lessons taught in Masonry, are not a secret, they are easily accessible to anyone who will make a serious study.

These facts being said: I myself, find no conflict between Islam (as I understand the faith), and Freemasonry (As I understand the Craft). There are many fine Muslims who are Freemasons. I suggest that you seek one or more of these men out, and inquire of them.

Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by cemab4y cemab4y wrote:

The lessons taught in Masonry, are not a secret, they are easily accessible to anyone who will make a serious study.

Amen to that!
Poet View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2014 at 10:33am
Originally posted by GrimoireA3 GrimoireA3 wrote:

Originally posted by Poet Poet wrote:

Do you find any contradictions between Freemasonry and Islam?

Hi Poet,

If Mustafa Kamil Attaturk had no problem with Freemasonry, I don't see why there would be any contradictions between Freemasonry and Islam.
Mustafa Kamil was raised in a Masonic Lodge in Greece.

In fact Freemasony could be a good compliment to Islam. Have you ever considered that?

As I have stated before this post, I have acknowledged that freemasonry compliments Islam.
Regarding Mustafa Kamil Attaturk- it's hard to tell if he remained a Mason (if he was truly one).
I-09/24/13
P-10/28/13
R-11/26/13
Poet View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2014 at 10:59am
Originally posted by cemab4y cemab4y wrote:

Brother Poet wrote: however there is one thing I am seeking. With having a firm understanding of Islam, is the lessons from which we are taught as Masons absolutely acceptable in Islam?
-----
I am not a Muslim. I have studied the faith for many years, since I was first posted to Saudi Arabia in 1991. I have read the Holy Qu'Ran, and I cherish truth, regardless of the source.

I have also studied Masonry, since I was made a Mason in 1982. I cherish its truths as well. The lessons taught in Masonry, are not a secret, they are easily accessible to anyone who will make a serious study.

These facts being said: I myself, find no conflict between Islam (as I understand the faith), and Freemasonry (As I understand the Craft). There are many fine Muslims who are Freemasons. I suggest that you seek one or more of these men out, and inquire of them.

Many thanks Bro. cemab4y.
The sole purpose of this post was to find any brother that shares the same faith as I, but at this moment, finding one here may come with patience. I do respect all answers from non-Muslims and I can trust your word as a brother in our gentle Craft. I just don't understand why there are many of my brothers in faith in opposition of Masonry when we are taught tolerance and to search for truth. Only if they can understand, we are not a political power trying to cause mischief in this world. As you stated bro., the information is there for those who truly seeks it, I pray that if they find any doubt in themselves of our Craft, to search for these sources.
I-09/24/13
P-10/28/13
R-11/26/13
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2014 at 4:27pm
Maybe you should ask the people who are stating their opposition
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2014 at 3:51pm
There was a scholarly paper I read once about the spread of hate of freemasonry in predominantly muslim countries, it had more to do with the need for political control and centrallized anti-semitism to achieve this (in their definition, freemasonry was a jewish ploy for world domination...yeah)

I know a few muslim brothers. I have close muslim friends and I have studied (though perfunctorily) Islam and find nothing that conflicts it with the religion.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic