Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Books on Freemasonry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sojourner33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books on Freemasonry
    Posted: August/10/2014 at 9:52pm
I really enjoy reading quite a bit and I'm always interested in what others have read and their opinions....

So, what books regarding Freemasonry or its Appendant Bodies or Symbolism, Numerology, or the Esoteric in general would you recommend and why? Which ones would you not recommend and why?

What are some of your favorites, whether for reference and education, historical accounts, or entertainment?

What books are in your Craft library? What is your most prized book in your Craft library and why?
Timothy L. Huggins
Ensley Lodge #278 F&AM

Initiated - 5/9/14
Passed - 6/13/14
Raised - 8/8/14
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2014 at 7:13am
One of my favorites, is "A Pilgrim's Path" by John Robinson. He was not a Mason, and he believed that he could write an impartial examination, and not be prejudiced by any past association. He was so impressed with what he found in his research, that he decided to go on and petition Freemasonry.

Another of my favorites is "The Better angels of our nature" by Michael A. Halleran. It is an excellent study of Freemasonry during the American Civil War.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
Sojourner33 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sojourner33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2014 at 7:18am
I have Robinson's "Pilgrims Path" but haven't gotten to it yet. Another very good book of his is "Born in Blood", he makes some very strong arguments regarding the origins of Fremasonry.

I've not heard of Halleran, but I'll definitely look for it.
Timothy L. Huggins
Ensley Lodge #278 F&AM

Initiated - 5/9/14
Passed - 6/13/14
Raised - 8/8/14
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2014 at 10:14am
I have read both of those books and have them in my library. My favorite is The Meaning of Masonry by Walter Wilmshurst. While his writing style may seem wordy and stilted, you must remember that this was the way they wrote back then. This book is now in the public domain and you can find it on the internet by just typing in the title.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2014 at 11:22am
Sojourner - your "to be raised date" was a few days ago - are congratulations in order?

Once duly raised, Coach's series is hard to beat... simply amazing.
http://www.coach.net/BuildingHiram.htm
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sojourner33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2014 at 12:05pm
Yes, Thank You.

I was Raised on Friday night. I need to change that, thanks for reminding me.

I've seen the Coach series and heard good things about it. I will surely have to check that series out.
Timothy L. Huggins
Ensley Lodge #278 F&AM

Initiated - 5/9/14
Passed - 6/13/14
Raised - 8/8/14
ldarnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ldarnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2014 at 4:09pm
Bro. Tim - Congratulations on your raising!!
Larry Darnell
Senior Steward, St. Charles Lodge #241
Missouri Lodge of Research #9998
I: 02 April 2013
P: 01 May 2013
R: 07 May 2013
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sojourner33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2014 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by ldarnell ldarnell wrote:

Thank you, Brother. It was an awesome night that I'll never forget.
Timothy L. Huggins
Ensley Lodge #278 F&AM

Initiated - 5/9/14
Passed - 6/13/14
Raised - 8/8/14
jdeal View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2014 at 8:00pm
I just received "The better Angela of our nature" well it's at home I'm on travel in NY for a few days it didn't come in time to bring it with me I'm told it contradicts a few items from "House Undivesed" next is Freemasonry in black and White" by Charles M Harper.
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2014 at 11:00am
My first reading on Freemasonry ever was last May 2013 when I came across a Masonic Bible.

My next reading was: THE MARTYRDOM OF MAN by William Winwood Reade, which was absolutely brilliant. One of those rare books that can change your view of life, the universe, and everything. It was this book that further piqued my interest in Freemasonry. Masonry has some good stuff in it.
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 3:36pm
The Temple and the Lodge, Solomon's Builders and Born in Blood are my favorites so far.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
uncledelphi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncledelphi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2014 at 10:23am
A few books I strongly recommend:

Morals and Dogma (not everybody's cup of tea but I love Pike's writing, widely available online)
Light from the Sanctuary of the Royal Arch (very enlightening and I'm not even in the York Rite, unfortunately very rare)
The Alchemical Keys to Masonic Ritual (I don't agree with everything in there, but it is thought provoking, PDF available online)
The Origins of Freemasonry: Scotland's Century, 1590 to 1710
Old Tiler Talks (widely available online)

The one book I absolutely do not recommend is A Pilgrim's Path. Any brother advocating some of the views in that book would likely wind up with Masonic charges laid against him back in my original grand lodge.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 9:55am
Originally posted by uncledelphi uncledelphi wrote:

A few books I strongly recommend:

Morals and Dogma (not everybody's cup of tea but I love Pike's writing, widely available online)
Light from the Sanctuary of the Royal Arch (very enlightening and I'm not even in the York Rite, unfortunately very rare)
The Alchemical Keys to Masonic Ritual (I don't agree with everything in there, but it is thought provoking, PDF available online)
The Origins of Freemasonry: Scotland's Century, 1590 to 1710
Old Tiler Talks (widely available online)

The one book I absolutely do not recommend is A Pilgrim's Path. Any brother advocating some of the views in that book would likely wind up with Masonic charges laid against him back in my original grand lodge.

Could you give me a short explaination concerning what A Pilgrim's Path is about? I'm curious.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Sojourner33 Sojourner33 wrote:

Originally posted by ldarnell ldarnell wrote:

Thank you, Brother. It was an awesome night that I'll never forget.

Congratulations! You were raised four days after I was.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
Pscyclepath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pscyclepath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2014 at 7:15pm
Most of the above have found their way to my library...   Some others:

*  "Freemasonry for Dummies" by Hodapp and Morris' "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freemasonry" are good tools for introducing new brothers, potential members, and their families to the craft.  Don't let the titles dissuade you; those are more of a brand name than an actual title.

*  Robinson's "Born in Blood" and "A Pilgrim's Path" have been good references into some of the potential backgrounds of the craft, as well as relating it to many of the various nay-sayers in our society.   I still am looking for that reference from which Robinson asserts that I have been made a "brother to pirates and buccaneers," though...

*  Ferleman, "The Bridge Builder's Guide" has been an excellent companion to coming to a better understanding and appreciation of the Scottish Rite and its principles, especially the chapter discussing the 5 Vows of the 32nd degree.  

* Matt Nelson, "Lodge Leadership: a 5-Step Guide to Masonic Reform"  has been a good guide to me as I work my way up through the chairs, and sought instructor certification.

*  Robert Davis, "The Mason's Words"  is a good overview of the development and history of the ritual among the various jurisdictions.

*  Hodapp's "Solomon's Builders"  for a review of Masonic involvement in American history, as well as the various sites involved around the DC area.

Allen Roberts' "Brother Truman" is an outstanding resource for studying the example of America's probably most prominent and active Freemason, former President the Most Worshipful Harry Truman.   Many little flashes of light from this little book.  Out of print these days, but well worth hunting down a copy.

Civil War re-enacting is what initially drew my attention and attracted me to Masonry, so Roberts' "House Undivided,"  Halloran's "The Better Angels of Our Nature," and three little novels by Howard Bahr, "The Black Flower," "The Year of Jubilo," "The Judas Field," and "Pelican Road"  have been positive influences from that end.

But on a day-to-day basis, the books I get the most light from and refer to at least several times weekly are my state's Masonic Monitor, Digest of Laws, and the "Scottish Rite Ritual Monitor and Guide."   If I could only have access to three books, it would be these three, plus of course, the Great Light...

Tom Ezell
Adoniram #288, F&AM
Mablevale, AR
pointwithinacircle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointwithinacircle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2014 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by log cabin Bill log cabin Bill wrote:

My favorite is The Meaning of Masonry by Walter Wilmshurst.
My favorite too, so I will recommend my other favorite, The Philosophy of Masonry by Roscoe Pound. It is also in the public domain so a Web search should locate a copy.
Words are symbols which point toward concepts arranged in patterns to communicate meaning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic