Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flint Hill Lodge Destroyed by Fire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flint Hill Lodge Destroyed by Fire
    Posted: August/29/2014 at 1:54pm
I just got word from my DDGM, that Flint Hill Lodge 371, Douglas County Georgia has burned last night.   This Lodge is under the juristdiction of the Grand Lodge of Georgia, F&AM.

news link:  http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/douglasville/2014/08/29/flint-hill-masonic-lodge-fire/14788633/

This is a partial quote from the email by a Lodge member:

Brothers

Our Lodge building, was destroyed by fire this morning. It is a total loss.

County and State Fire Investigators are on scene along with ATF
investigators and the Douglas County Sheriff's Crime Scene Unit.  At this point the investigators are stating that it is a Crime Scene.

Earlier this year someone broke into the building and stole the Bible,
Square and Compasses from the Alter. Several weeks later the windows were broken on the lower level. A few weeks after that, more windows were broken.

Edited by edwmax - August/29/2014 at 2:19pm
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2014 at 2:18pm
While I feel their pain and loss, I do hope someone in the Lodge had the foresight to photo copy their Charter.   ... Otherwise, the 'original' Charter can not be replaced. Only a new (modern) Charter & signatures can be made.  I believe Grand Masters and Grand Lodge would re-certify a photo copy Charter which would preserve the original signatures and Charter wording.  ... Even if this was not done, a copy of the original would still be a historically significant record.

Since 2008 when I visited Lodges of my District, I have suggested that they have their Charters professionally cleaned, restored and photo copied.  I have seen some 100 year (plus) old charters in poor condition and one Charter I believe to be beyond repair. 

Also in the past 2 years, i have been suggesting to Lodges to have ALL their documents photo copied.  This is easily done with $100 digital cameras.   ... If it is important enough to hang on the Lodge wall, then it should be photo copied.

Flint Lodge #371 is now a case in point.

Thomasville 369
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2014 at 5:09am

Thomasville 369
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2014 at 8:05am
My sympathies and thoughts are with Flint Hill Lodge.

The Quincy (Massachusetts) Masonic Building was also destroyed  by a fire about a year ago and a number of historical and valuable items were also lost. These two incidents point out the importance of lodge buildings  having fire proof safes or vaults to store their historical and valuable items along with adequate insurance. In the long run it's a small investment to make. It's hard enough to lose a building but when you lose pieces of history it really leaves one with an empty feeling.

For those lodges who do not have adequate protection for their valuables, these two incidents should serve as a wake-up call.
KSigMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2014 at 9:39pm
That is sad to hear. 
Bro. Barry E. Newell

Traveling Templar - 04MAR2017
BroRyan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2014 at 12:04am
Wow, I'm speechless... I live just a couple miles from this lodge on hwy 5. What drives a person to do something like this....
Initiated: October 16th 2012
Passed: February 19th 2013
Raised: March 9th 2013

Battle Hill Lodge #523 F&AM
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by BroRyan BroRyan wrote:

Wow, I'm speechless... I live just a couple miles from this lodge on hwy 5. What drives a person to do something like this....

With all of the crazy things that Masonry is accused of these days it's not suprising that an unbalanced person(s) would do something like this. My sympathies go out to all brothers of this lodge.

Edited by Warrior1256 - September/10/2014 at 11:21am
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
CAMB.MASON View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAMB.MASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 11:44am
sorry to hear this max, got word last week about it.  possible hate crime? or just kids!
I remain Fraternally Yours:

Curator & Historian
Cambridge Masonic Temple Cambridge, Massachusetts

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic