Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally found my Father's Apron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squeek49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally found my Father's Apron
    Posted: September/12/2014 at 4:47am
Brothers,

My Father died in 2006.  We did not find his apron before he was cremated and his ashes spread over the grounds of the Ohio Masonic Home.  We have been looking for it for 8 years.  Today my 89 year old Mother found it!  It was folded and placed in a box with his Masonic Bible and other significant items related to his Masonic journey.  He was raised in 1951 in Anthony Lodge in Springfield, Ohio. 

My question is this, should I burn it and spread the ashes over the place I spread his ashes?  Or another question. Should I place it with my Eastern Star Mother's earthly remains when she is cremated and then spread the ashes. 

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Edited by Squeek49 - September/12/2014 at 4:49am
David Davis
Oriental Lodge #20
Mathews, Virginia

I 10/08/2013
P 07/17/2014
R 08/21/2014
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2014 at 9:19am
Traditionally, the apron goes down with the body into the earthly grave. Given that he was not funeralized in that traditional way I don't believe our rituals provide guidance on that. While I understand the sentiment, why not keep the artifacts for now? Who knows, a grandson or grand daughter may treasure wearing the regalia of their forebears even if only for the initiation phase.

Just a thought.

Edited by NobleShabba - September/12/2014 at 9:21am
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2014 at 3:54pm
Since you have just now found this maybe it would be a good keepsake to remember your father by.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2014 at 4:31pm
I concur with the previous post, that it might be a nice way to remember your father. By the way, earlier this week I took my father out to dinner to celebrate his 90th birthday. Dad is very alert and walks without a cane. About 10 years ago I got to pin the 50 pin on him. I do hope you'll consider keeping the apron, it might be a nice item to pass on to your heirs.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2014 at 4:57pm
I have an idea that if you decide to keep the apron, it would not be against your Father's wishes.   ...  Usually when the original  apron can not be found or the familly wants to keep it, a the Lodge will furnish another one for a Masonic funeral.    I assume your Father was cremated with an apron.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Squeek49 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squeek49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2014 at 5:22pm
Thank all of you for your ideas.  My Father did not have a Masonic Funeral.  He still paid his dues each year but he belonged to a lodge 200 miles away from his home.  He had not attended in many years.  I was not a mason at the time of his death and neither my Mom or myself thought of Masonic Rites.  Disappointing I know.  That is why I was considering burning the apron and spreading the ashes where his were placed.  I like the idea of keeping it and other memorabilia as keepsakes.  Perhaps I will take his apron with me to Ohio sometime and wear it in his old lodge.

Thanks again for your advice gentlemen.

Dave 
David Davis
Oriental Lodge #20
Mathews, Virginia

I 10/08/2013
P 07/17/2014
R 08/21/2014
Pscyclepath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pscyclepath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2014 at 6:54pm
Keep the apron as an heirloom...  both for yourself as well as your sons.  The apron is much more so a badge and emblem than a funerary article.  When you look at that apron think of him, and what Masonry meant/means to the both of you.

Tom Ezell
Adoniram #288, F&AM
Mablevale, AR
Squeek49 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squeek49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2014 at 7:14pm
Well said Tom.  You and a couple of others have suggested the same.  Just holding my Dad's Apron brings a feeling of ......jeez, I can't describe the feeling.  I think I will take my Dad's Apron to his lodge in Ohio and wear it there.  
David Davis
Oriental Lodge #20
Mathews, Virginia

I 10/08/2013
P 07/17/2014
R 08/21/2014
pointwithinacircle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointwithinacircle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2014 at 8:17pm
I have my grandfather's P.M. apron. I am working toward the day when I can wear it.
Words are symbols which point toward concepts arranged in patterns to communicate meaning.
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2014 at 6:31am
Originally posted by Squeek49 Squeek49 wrote:

Well said Tom. You and a couple of others have suggested the same. Just holding my Dad's Apron brings a feeling of ......jeez, I can't describe the feeling. I think I will take my Dad's Apron to his lodge in Ohio and wear it there.

Originally posted by pointwithinacircle pointwithinacircle wrote:

I have my grandfather's P.M. apron. I am working toward the day when I can wear it.

...and there you have it - how good and how pleasant it is, to be able to do this very thing!
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic