Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great Fish Fry at Valley Lodge #511

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squeek49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Fish Fry at Valley Lodge #511
    Posted: September/12/2014 at 5:54pm
While in Louisville visiting my Mom, I decided to poke around the web to see what lodges in the area were doing.  I found that Valley Lodge on Dixie Highway has a Fish Fry every Friday from 11AM until 8PM.  Mom and I went and had a good time.  We met a lot of fine people and the food was fantastic.  The brothers said that the weekly Fish Fry was a good fund raiser for the lodge.  They have a much larger and younger lodge than mine so staffing is not the problem it might be for us.  The idea is good and perhaps my home lodge could do it a few times a year with success.

Dave
David Davis
Oriental Lodge #20
Mathews, Virginia

I 10/08/2013
P 07/17/2014
R 08/21/2014
js584 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js584 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2014 at 8:16pm
One of our main fundraisers is a Jonah Fish Fry.  We have it in late spring every year, this years was our most successful.  Most of the side dishes (beans, slaw, mac n cheese, etc.) are donated and we bread and fry the fish ourselves to maximize profits.  It's alot of work and I can't imagine doing it every week.

Squeek49 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squeek49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2014 at 8:34pm
I think the Valley Lodge has it down to a science.  The installed a $28,000.00 stainless steel kitchen complete with a couple of deep fat fryers.  Our problem would be the kitchen and staffing.   I was told it was a pretty big money maker for them and prices were reasonable.  Fish Sandwich with fries was $6.75.  They also served oysters, clams and shrimp. 

Valley also sells hats, ties and jewelry to make extra money.  I'll put that in a separate topic later. 

David Davis
Oriental Lodge #20
Mathews, Virginia

I 10/08/2013
P 07/17/2014
R 08/21/2014
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2014 at 9:27am
Wow, a fish fry every week! We do one a year, and it is a lot of work. Sometimes I wonder if there is something easier to do as a fund raiser.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2014 at 1:12pm
Suburban Lodge 740 here in Louisville also has a fish fry every Saturday. Their kitchen facilities are also very impressive. They have a very impressive lodge building to boot.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
Squeek49 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squeek49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2014 at 3:58pm
The next time I am in Louisville i will have to go to Suburban Lodge for their Fish Fry.  That will be sometime in November.  
David Davis
Oriental Lodge #20
Mathews, Virginia

I 10/08/2013
P 07/17/2014
R 08/21/2014
Kentucky Mason View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2014 at 11:52pm
I'm an Honorary Member of Valley Lodge #511 and my Lodge, Daylight #760, meets there as well. I can attest that they have some of the best fish and all kinds of fixins' that you'll find for miles around. We have about 4 Lodges here in the Louisville area that has fish Frys, and they all are fantastic!!

Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you
with experience.
Darrell G. Waddell
Daylight Lodge #760 F&AM
Louisville, Kentucky U.S.A.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic