Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saluting in open lodge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saluting in open lodge
    Posted: September/17/2014 at 7:36pm
In MD active and retired military are authorized to salute the flag during the presentation of the colors. Do not get me wrong I greatfully respect active and retired military and there families for there service to our country. One of my brothers a retired Air Force captain I belive he said. I asked him why does he not do as the others and his response was that seperates the brethren in the lodge and we meet on the level.... Thoughts on this?
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 6:43am
In our neck o' the woods, it is practiced or encouraged that everyone shows the sign of Fidelity while the colors are in motion.
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 7:51am
I disagree that it divides the Brethren.  It's just another way of giving honor to the colors.  It's the same as differences in ritual between jurisdictions.
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 9:35am
I suggest that jdeal was talking of the military salute as opposed to the civilian (hand over heart) salute. We have several vets/retired military that use the military salute in my Lodge. I am retired Air Force, but use the civilian salute as I am no longer on active duty (my choice of salute, and my choice of reason).
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 9:40am
I got that, Brother Bob.....   I was disagreeing that those who choose to use the military salute are dividing the brethren...I say it is not.  I also say that it is your choice to salute in Lodge or to put your hand over your heart.  You're entitled to do either.
J.D. Walker
Pscyclepath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pscyclepath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 9:50am
Traditionally and according to the Customs of the Service, the hand salute is given _when_in_uniform,_, and when in civilian dress, place the hand over the heart.

Tom Ezell
Adoniram #288, F&AM
Mablevale, AR
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 10:04am
That custom has been changed by law allowing those who are veterans to render the salute.
J.D. Walker
Nero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 11:38am
As a former Marine I will not salute while uncovered and unless on duty a Marine does not wear a cover indoors ( at least back when I served) . It is a tradition I still carry on to this day , when I walk in a building I remove my ballcap/hat . When saluting the flag , I place my hand over my heart  .

Actually , I have never seen a veteran from any branch of service hand salute the Flag in any lodge I have ever visited ( in several different states) . But I do not see how it would cause division between vet/non-vet brethren .

Edited by Nero - September/18/2014 at 11:44am
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 1:38pm
A recent law allows veterans to render a hand salute when showing respect to the flag. I am a veteran but I choose to follow the old custom of hand over the heart. Both are accepted ways of showing respect to the flag and the country. It should be a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. 
jdeal View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 3:51pm
Thanks for the responses I was curious about t. If I salutes the flag I would be looked at odd cause of my non military background?
Anthony660 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2014 at 6:20pm
As a veteran I have never saluted the flag in open lodge. I place my hand over my heart with my top hat on my shoulder.

Edited by Anthony660 - September/18/2014 at 6:21pm
PM Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Al Malaikah Shrine AAONMS
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
GC Aben Zoar, Order of Alhambra
KSigMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 2:41am
Many Veterans in my Lodge, including myself, do salute the flag. My Grand Lodge requires that the Master hold the hat over his heart during the procession of the flag and when giving the Pledge of the Allegiance.
Bro. Barry E. Newell

Traveling Templar - 04MAR2017
Cookslc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cookslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 11:50pm
A change in flag code about six years ago allowed veterans to render the military salute in civilian clothes. See http://www.dm.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123124214.

I have seen the military salute rendered in any number of meetings around the US.

Though a retired naval officer, I do not give the military salute in lodge, as I do not wish to draw attention to myself and am concerned that it draws distinctions between brethren as to their worldly status, contrary to meeting on the level as to our profane rank. In fact the person who immediately comes to mind is a Masonic bully whom I removed from office for just such behavior.
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle-751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2014 at 8:31am
 I did not know the law changed!
 I am a U.S. Navy enlisted Veteran. I agree the Military salute is a great honer for all who served.
 I do not think it would be drawing anymore attention to Vets. Every inspection / special function from Blue Lodge to Commandry they have always had the Veterans, Law Enforcement Officers and Fire Fighters... stand and be recognized, What is the difference?
 I am old school and it would be hard for me to give a hand salute when not covered and not in uniform. For the Veterans that do GOD Bless you, you have earned that right. For those of us that do not, it our right.
We are all Brothers!  Handshake   ( just my two cents worth )
Past Master ( 2014 - 2015 )
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle-751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2014 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Cookslc Cookslc wrote:

A change in flag code about six years ago allowed veterans to render the military salute in civilian clothes. See http://www.dm.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123124214.

I appreciate the link to the change in the Law.
Thank you, to all of you Veterans for your service to our Great Nation GOD Bless you.

Edited by eagle-751 - September/20/2014 at 8:47am
Past Master ( 2014 - 2015 )
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
Cookslc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2014 at 9:22pm
I also worry that distinctions of military rank would then be evident, again departing from meeting on the level as to our profane professions.
I have never attended a Masonic Inspection.
None of my GLs or (many) side orders orders introduce veterans as a matter of course,let alone EMS workers. I would resist such a practice in the bodies for which I have responsibility.
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2014 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Nero Nero wrote:

But I do not see how it would cause division between vet/non-vet brethren .

I don't see it either, but I say that each  brother should do as his own conscience dictates.  That way, we all truly meet on the level, whether a brother who is a veteran salutes or not.

J.D. Walker
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2014 at 1:54pm
In our lodge, we have many vets and a few military retirees. 
We also have several National Sojourners.

It is fairly mixed who renders the hand salute.

I did not while in the East (removed headgear and placed hand over heart), but I do otherwise.

Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
ldarnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ldarnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2014 at 4:22pm
Interesting to know the law had changed.  I was taught salutes were only proper while in uniform and covered. But it doesn't bother me either way.  We have quite a few veterans in our lodge who use the hand salute.  I have no problem with it either way - to me it is just a sign of respect. 
Larry Darnell
Senior Steward, St. Charles Lodge #241
Missouri Lodge of Research #9998
I: 02 April 2013
P: 01 May 2013
R: 07 May 2013
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic