Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Family reactions to joining Masonry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Family reactions to joining Masonry
    Posted: September/19/2014 at 6:14am
Greetings Brethren. I was just recently initiated into the Craft last month, and though I am very happy with my decision, some family members aren't quite as thrilled. Ultimately it has no bearing on my admiration of the Craft, though I am not quite sure how to deal with the negative reactions. My mother in particular has said some things to me that I have had to refute, and often I find myself getting quite angry (though I try to remember the CG) with her when she makes her accusations. At first I was glad to tell her what I could; after a while, I found my attempts futile as she remained steadfast in her ignorance and unsatisfied by my responses. It is frustrating because she is a spiritual person and generally very liberal and open-minded. I'm shocked that she out of all the people I know would be the one to call Masonry a cult, a weird religion, etc. Anyway, my question is this: have you had negative reactions to your joining from close family members, and, if so, how did you deal with it? Furthermore, have their perceptions of the Craft changed or not?

Edited by dmcauliffe - September/19/2014 at 6:16am
jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 8:50am
Wish I could help you, brother...  the family I have that I still talk to don't really care...and any that would object I rarely talk to, and couldn't care less what they think anyway.
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by jdwalker519 jdwalker519 wrote:

Wish I could help you, brother...  the family I have that I still talk to don't really care...and any that would object I rarely talk to, and couldn't care less what they think anyway.

Pretty much the same here. If someone I cared about had a negative reaction to my belonging to the Craft I would explain things as well as I could. If they still had a negative view we would just have to agree to disagree.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 5:56pm
Since your mother raised you, ask her why would she think you would join such a group if what she believed and was told about Freemasonry was true.    ... You are a grown man and she should trust your judgment.

... Anyway, you will have to tell her the subject of Freemasonry is 'off-limit' between the 2 of you.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2014 at 11:13pm
When I joined, my mum had her issues with it (growing up between Catholics and evangelicals). I had to remind her of the guy she raised, plus one of her good friends who had recently passed away was a mason. She calmed down and never brought it up again.

My dad just recently found out about my membership. He too has no issues with it (which I find a relief especially since he's a catholic and all that)

My siblings know about my membership and frankly don't care.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2014 at 10:45pm
When we investigate a petitioner, we usually do so in his home with his wife (if he has one) and any other significant people in his life present specifically so they can ask questions of us. If joining a lodge will in any way disrupt the peace and harmony of a family, then perhaps becoming a Mason is not right for that person.
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
ouija21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ouija21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2014 at 12:32am
In my humble opinion I agree with the other brethren. Yet when I was younger growing up I heard nasty thing's about The Craft. Mother's are some times the sweetest yet can be the most bitter. It usually comes In the form when you introduce a significant other. They say "nay you can do better" or "oh that's the one", yet in the end it's your choice. You can chose to demit if you feel it may cause tribulations but if it was a significant other and you we're happy would you divorce? Simply put many of our choices as human beings our challenged everyday, but you were first made a mason in your heart and have made your choice and your faith was well founded. So if you are happy then go forward or do what you feel is correct. I by no means am saying masonry is liken to marriage perhaps it's a poor example, but in the end your a man and you live your own life. Some have not cared, & some make fun of me but I am faithful and know I made the right choice. There will never be another me, and there will never be another you. Good luck brother and Godspeed.

Edited by ouija21 - October/25/2014 at 12:37am
fm wnc cm yu?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic