Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Officer line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Officer line
    Posted: September/21/2014 at 12:37pm
Is it common in areas thath e starting point is Tyler? Myself and a newly raised brother were discussing the fact that you take a relatively new brother and put him outside. Any thoughts out there? Btw I am the incoming Tyler. What I did was is start learning charges and the work of the JS and SS both of those positions I have sat in.
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2014 at 3:01pm
In my Mother Lodge and in several other lodges here under both jurisdictions (GL of Scotland, GL of Newfoundland and Labrador) the Tyler is usually a Past Master or at least an experienced Brother. In my Mother Lodge the 'line' starts at JS and after your year in the Chair it continues with Immediate Past Master to Director of Ceremonies to Tyler. As the duties of the Tyler include preparing the clothing of the Candidate for entering the Lodge for his Initiation, it does not seem to me fair to put this responsibility on a new Brother.
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2014 at 3:03pm
Same as CanadianPaul - our lodge in Ontario does the same - the line goes like this: WM, IPM, DOC, then Tyler. It's my turn in November. 
jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2014 at 8:36am
In the District of Columbia, the Tiler is normally a very experienced brother, not a new brother.  
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
jdeal View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2014 at 9:31am
That' was the discussion myself and new brother had. Are you a member of naval lodge?
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2014 at 9:35am
No, but I have visited them.  My Lodge rents from them...we meet in Naval Lodge Hall.
J.D. Walker
KSigMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2014 at 11:13am
In my Lodge, a PM, usually the outgoing WM, becomes the Tiler.
Bro. Barry E. Newell

Traveling Templar - 04MAR2017
Anthony660 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2014 at 6:25pm
A PM as Tyler? Never heard of that before. We usually post the JPM as Chaplain, so he sits near the new WM and can offer him advice and guidance. IMO posting the JPM as a Tyler makes no sense as his knowledge is better utilized in the Lodge room.
PM Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Al Malaikah Shrine AAONMS
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
GC Aben Zoar, Order of Alhambra
canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2014 at 11:22pm
The idea is that his knowledge is utilized to educate and train the new brethren. Whenever we have a second degree, the EA's will be outside the door (keep in mind - here we open the lodge and conduct all business in the first degree, so EA's attend every meeting of the lodge). During the degree, the tyler works with them. 
Bostonian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bostonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2014 at 8:14am
In our lodge it usually begins with the JS as the starting point.  However, if we do have a full line and potential officers waiting in the wings, the IS is also a starting point.  
Pscyclepath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pscyclepath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2014 at 8:26am
Start of the formal line here is with the Junior Deacon...  There is no formal step after your year in the East, for the most part it depends on the PM's talents and desires...   Some take up as Tyler, but most go back to the sidelines  ;-)

Tom Ezell
Adoniram #288, F&AM
Mablevale, AR
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2014 at 3:44pm
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2014 at 1:03pm
I do not agree with the concept of making a "new" brother a Tyler.

The Tyler (outside of the WM and Sec) is one of the most important positions of the lodge. He protects the lodge from intruders. How do you expect a brother raised two months ago to be a tyler?

I think that the most experienced brother should be a Tyler. Usually in some lodges, the tyler doubles as the chair for the investigation committee.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2014 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Caution1010 Caution1010 wrote:

Usually in some lodges, the tyler doubles as the chair for the investigation committee.

I like that idea
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
Bostonian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bostonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Caution1010 Caution1010 wrote:

I do not agree with the concept of making a "new" brother a Tyler.

The Tyler (outside of the WM and Sec) is one of the most important positions of the lodge. He protects the lodge from intruders. How do you expect a brother raised two months ago to be a tyler?

I think that the most experienced brother should be a Tyler. Usually in some lodges, the tyler doubles as the chair for the investigation committee.

Brother Caution,

I agree with you 100% in terms of the Tyler being one of the most important and trusted positions in the lodge.  While I do not want to pass judgement on any of our other brethren in other jurisdictions, I do think that any lodge, which installs a newly raised brother as Tyler does a disservice to the lodge and that brother himself.

1st  for a newly raised mason to be tasked with standing outside the door, once raised - denies that brother of further learning the craft.  Meaning, that he will miss out on the important business of the lodge, miss watching and participating in raising of candidates and most of all paints a picture that perhaps his service to the lodge is arbitrary.  

2nd - for a newly raised brother to be stuck outside that person is now entrusted with the secrets of Masonry at a very young masonic age.  He is required to protect the lodge from cowans and eavesdroppers and see the lodge is securely tiled.   This is a BIG responsibility that is thrust upon a new member, who really isn't ready yet.  

In the end, it is our responsibility as members of this craft to step up, if we are not actively filly roles currently. 
AaronSawyer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSawyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2014 at 4:48pm
Junior Deacon was the traditional starting position at my home lodge, though I had expected Tyler to be.  I suppose it depends greatly on need and openings.  For instance, I became Junior Warden rather quickly because I was young and the older masons wanted me to take it so I could get a lot of experience early on.  It was a very good experience.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2014 at 6:43am
What I have observed typically goes

JS -> SS -> JD -> SD -> JW -> SW -> WM

Chaplain, Tyler, Secy, Treas are typically PMs

Investigative C'tee typically includes a PM, a warden and a brother, but I like the idea of the Tyler being the Chair of the Investigative C'tee
----------------------

Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2014 at 8:49am
Yes, Secretaries are *typically* PMs, but not always.  Our incoming Treasurer is also not going to be a PM.
J.D. Walker
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2014 at 9:08am
My treasurer is an independent business owner. His business....well,.. he's an undertaker, he owns a funeral home. Not sure about the secretary, he's a funny old man.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
PennsyMason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsyMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2014 at 1:32pm
Starting as a tyler is unusual. Every tyler I've seen was a Past Master, which makes sense, since you'd want someone who knows everybody without asking for dues cards.

in Pennsylvania the typical progression is:

1 Chaplain
2 Pursuivant
3 Junior Master of Ceremonies
4 Senior Master of Ceremonies
5 Junior Deacon
6 Senior Deacon
7 Junior Warden
8 Senior Warden
9 Worshipful Master

The Tyler outside, the Secretary, and the Treasurer are usually PMs. Pennsylvania also has Stewards, but they don't have a chair in the lodge room... Stewards belong in the kitchen preparing the food for after the meeting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2014 at 2:01pm
Interesting take on the role of Stewards, kinda makes you wonder why the JW is inside while they are outside... :D

Seriously tho, if they are always outside how are they participating in the business of the lodge?
----------------------

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsyMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2014 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by NobleShabba NobleShabba wrote:

Interesting take on the role of Stewards, kinda makes you wonder why the JW is inside while they are outside... :D

Seriously tho, if they are always outside how are they participating in the business of the lodge?

Short answer: They're not. Well, not unless they've brought something that can be heated quickly, then they can stay for most of the meeting and dismiss themselves 10 minutes early.
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2014 at 6:38pm
Stewards in lodges under both jurisdictions here have seats IN the lodge and stay inside for all but the very end of the meeting. There are usually 'light refreshments' after a meeting - sandwiches, perhaps veggies and dip, cookies etc. The Master  might 'dismiss the Stewards' just before he Closes the Lodge. If there is to be a dinner or potluck it will be held before the meeting.

Lodge buildings here all have bars. These are not allowed to be open when lodges are working but can be open before and after. I have never heard of any untoward incidents occurring because of this.

What do you call the room where refreshments are served. The term often used here is the 'Harmony Room'.  
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsyMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2014 at 7:53am
Originally posted by CanadianPaul CanadianPaul wrote:

Stewards in lodges under both jurisdictions here have seats IN the lodge and stay inside for all but the very end of the meeting.

We call the food service after the meeting (or, more rarely, before the meeting) a "Stewards' Report." This is pretty much the only official acknowledgement in Pennsylvania masonry that the position called Steward even exists in the local lodge, except at the GL level, where we have Right Worshipful Grand Stewards with chairs and regalia. I've been to one lodge where the "stewards" turned out to be the WM's and Wardens' wives.

There are usually 'light refreshments' after a meeting - sandwiches, perhaps veggies and dip, cookies etc. The MasterĀ  might 'dismiss the Stewards' just before he Closes the Lodge. If there is to be a dinner or potluck it will be held before the meeting.

After-meeting meals are similarly light, here. I especially enjoy what in this area is considered the most traditional of masonic meals, sliced strawberries with whipped cream and sponge cake.

Lodge buildings here all have bars. These are not allowed to be open when lodges are working but can be open before and after. I have never heard of any untoward incidents occurring because of this.

We cannot, by edict of the Grand Lodge, serve any type of alcohol at an official lodge function, or on lodge property... UNLESS we have a catered affair, and the caterer is licensed and insured to serve alcohol. One of the ritzy, traditional observance lodges always has a catered multiple-course Stewards' Report with wine and cocktails.

What do you call the room where refreshments are served. The term often used here is the 'Harmony Room'.

In my mother lodge it was always called the "Square and Compasses Room" only because there was a giant square and compasses hanging there. I do not believe there is an official name in PA masonry, and have heard it referred to in other lodges as "downstairs," "across the hall," "next door," etc. I really like the sound of the "Harmony Room," and think I'll suggest it next time I visit another lodge.

Edited by PennsyMason - October/24/2014 at 7:54am
brother_steve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brother_steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2014 at 8:13am
JS. Here, the Tyler is reserved to someone such as a PM who will not ask to see the GM's dues card when he comes up the stairs.
Initiated: 4-22-13
Passed: 5-29-13
Raised: 6-27-13
F&AM GLNJ
Marshal
FKA: BroScubaSteve(Lost Login/Email)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic