Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

becoming a mason

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: becoming a mason
    Posted: September/29/2014 at 7:22pm
Hi, i am interested in becoming a mason. i am 24 i do volunteer work and i'm a psychology major. i am in Albany, Ga the lodge that i went to which is King Solomon lodge its a Prince Hall lodge i talked to someone last year they told me to come back at the beginning of the year thats when they will be giving applications i went back in February i was told the same thing again by same person to try in the first month of the year instead do lodges usually only accept applications around a certain time? i am thinking about calling someone my mom grew up with hes a mason he is part of the lodge well hes a Shriner now
NewToLight84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 9:15pm
I've never heard of any lodge PHA or not only taking applications only certain parts of the year...sounds like maybe he's testing you? Don't know... ask around like you said. Good luck to you!
"Be careful how you live. You may be the only Mason some people will ever meet." -unknown
silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 11:46am
Thanks i will be getting in contact with someone that my family grew up with hes a older man hes been a mason for years over 20 years i'm 24 now so i think hes been part of it for 30 years hes the one that told me to go there and ask when applications will be taken he said he will call the person over the lodge see whats going on

Edited by silva - September/30/2014 at 11:47am
Anthony660 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 6:37pm
Silva-remain persistent in your pursuit. I am sure your family friend will be more than happy to assist you.

Edited by Anthony660 - September/30/2014 at 6:38pm
PM Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Al Malaikah Shrine AAONMS
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
GC Aben Zoar, Order of Alhambra
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 10:03am
This is the damn way how clandestines swoop in and claim unknowing people...

Send me a message with your contact information

I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 10:11am
Originally posted by NewToLight84 NewToLight84 wrote:

I've never heard of any lodge PHA or not only taking applications only certain parts of the year...sounds like maybe he's testing you? Don't know... ask around like you said. Good luck to you!

1) If he is "testing" him, that's real stupid. We discussed this a while ago on this forum. If  you do not want to vouch a guy, don't waste his time. if you do, just turn in the damn petition. if you don't know him, well bring him around....I don't know why the hell it has to turn to "tests". There's always a time and place for those within the process itself.

2) Some lodges do have schedules on accepting membership. Some lodges are usually so busy in a year that they schedule classes for candidates once or twice a year

Mosaic is a user here and his lodge does that. It makes the process more efficient and respects everybody's time involved.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Caution1010 Caution1010 wrote:

2) Some lodges do have schedules on accepting membership. Some lodges are usually so busy in a year that they schedule classes for candidates once or twice a year

Mosaic is a user here and his lodge does that. It makes the process more efficient and respects everybody's time involved.

I concur, I am aware that a number of fraternal bodies may choose to accept applications year-round but perform the various works at specific points of the year.   

For example, it would be a little chaotic to have one FC this month, an EA next month, following month the MM for the FC that was recently passed, only to turn around and pass another FC the month after that...

This way with limited membership some groups seek to bring order to the chaos...

(c'mon - I know someone saw that line coming a mile away...)
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2014 at 4:05pm
Ordo ab chao.... love it.   
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 5:04am
Originally posted by NobleShabba NobleShabba wrote:

For example, it would be a little chaotic to have one FC this month, an EA next month, following month the MM for the FC that was recently passed, only to turn around and pass another FC the month after that...

We do it all the time.    ...
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Mike Martin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 10:16am
Originally posted by silva silva wrote:

Hi, i am interested in becoming a mason. i am 24 i do volunteer work and i'm a psychology major. i am in Albany, Ga the lodge that i went to which is King Solomon lodge its a Prince Hall lodge i talked to someone last year they told me to come back at the beginning of the year thats when they will be giving applications i went back in February i was told the same thing again by same person to try in the first month of the year instead do lodges usually only accept applications around a certain time? i am thinking about calling someone my mom grew up with hes a mason he is part of the lodge well hes a Shriner now
Maybe you should try going through the relevant Grand Lodge and cut out the uneccessary steps.

silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2014 at 6:31pm
Hi, i visited the http://mwphglga.org website the lodge is on their site king solomon lodge #14.  i called the family friend Friday he told me to call him Monday or Tuesday i will be calling him tomorrow he said that he will see some of them at homecoming which was Saturday and will be asking them about when they will actually be taking applications Sorry for the late reply i didn't know that more replied i didn't get the notification via email

My family friend was the one that told me to go to the lodge he would sign off on the application. i went to the lodge in 2013 told them who referred me and one of the men told me that they were going to be taking applications first of the year right now they aren't doing anything so that next year i came back in February 2014 the same guy said the same thing so i told my family friend he was going to get in contact with someone either at a meeting or contact the master of the lodge i did stop calling at one point so i decided to call him back he still wasn't able to talk to anyone but this time he said he will be meeting some members at homecoming will ask them then

Edited by silva - October/26/2014 at 6:43pm
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by edwmax edwmax wrote:

We do it all the time.    ...

Just curious, roughly how many active members are in your lodge?
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle-751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 6:40pm

I concur, I am aware that a number of fraternal bodies may choose to accept applications year-round but perform the various works at specific points of the year.   

This way with limited membership some groups seek to bring order to the chaos...

(c'mon - I know someone saw that line coming a mile away...)

I have done two different degree's in the same night ( I was SD at that time ). We did the first degree first the candidate for his second watched and after, we gave him his second... A long night yes. Chaotic no, this is what we do.

Edited by eagle-751 - October/27/2014 at 6:42pm
Past Master ( 2014 - 2015 )
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 6:42pm
How much are usually the dues and how often is it paid?or it depends on the lodge

Edited by silva - October/27/2014 at 6:42pm
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle-751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 6:52pm

How much are usually the dues and how often is it paid?or it depends on the lodge

Dues are set by each Lodge. Dues in big city's are more on average and Lodges in rural area's are usually less... I'm in a real small city and dues in our area very from $75.00 - $100.00.
Paid annually.
 Hope this helps...

Edited by eagle-751 - October/27/2014 at 6:56pm
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 6:55pm
Thanks i'm in a small city too well i spoke to the family friend he called me he didn't see any masons at homecoming but they are supposed to be having a meeting tomorrow or Wednesday he will stop by there and find out everything for me including the dues
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle-751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 7:02pm

Thanks i'm in a small city too well i spoke to the family friend he called me he didn't see any masons at homecoming but they are supposed to be having a meeting tomorrow or Wednesday he will stop by there and find out everything for me including the dues

You have to fill out the information yourself. No-one can do that for you. The Brothers in the Lodge will need to talk to you in person. If it is a stated meeting night you should make arrangements to meet with early so it will not interfere with there meeting. They will be happy to see you and talk to you early.

Good luck. I wish you well.
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 7:18pm
what he is doing is finding out when they are taking applications and the dues because i am keep getting the run around about it once i get the application i'm filling it out and he will sign off on it
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle-751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2014 at 5:27pm

what he is doing is finding out when they are taking applications and the dues because i am keep getting the run around about it once i get the application i'm filling it out and he will sign off on it

Okay, I misunderstood...  Sorry. 
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2014 at 6:29pm
Is there studying or memorizing a lot of things?
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2014 at 6:31pm
In short... yes.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2014 at 9:34pm
will everything that was memorized have to be recited to a group?
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2014 at 1:30pm
It varies from state to state. In some states, you must deliver a recitation to the lodge. In Indiana, you practice the information in a class with an instructor, and when the instructor is satisfied that you have mastered the material, then you may continue.

Please do not be concerned! I enjoyed the degree work very much, and I had no problem with the recitation. Different men memorize material at different rates, depending on their ability.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2014 at 8:54pm
I have memory issues it takes me awhile to get things in my head but i received some good news our family friend put me in contact with someone who is still active and it turns out to be someone i grew up around he used to cut my hair when i was a child he is also a family friend i will be getting the application next week
silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2014 at 2:35pm
what do the black and white checkered floor mean? is it like ying and yang?
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2014 at 3:06pm
It is called the "Mosaic Tile". It is instructive. If you see the floors of medieval castles and cathedrals, you will see the mosaic tile floors.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2014 at 5:13pm
The ying yang theory isn't exactly wrong....
silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2014 at 8:03pm
haha thanks and i will be hearing something by the first of the year from my application he told me right now they are dark and will be up running the first of the year it seems it will be a different lodge i will be apart of but our family friend said hes the right person to contact which i found out he is and that he is also a family friend as well he still remembers me from when i was a kid
silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 3:34pm
Well i got something confused today i just filled application out which i was told is also called petitioning to the lodge so i have finally got the ball rolling i'm on the right path

Edited by silva - November/15/2014 at 4:21pm
silva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2015 at 6:30pm
I was accepted! i heard the news earlier this week
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2015 at 8:19pm
well there... congratulations!  Glad to hear you didn't give up on your search for light, and thus far your faith has been well founded.  Please keep us updated as you progress, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.  
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2015 at 10:56pm
I took the short form.it was quicker.
brother bell
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2015 at 7:16am
edit

Edited by YES - March/07/2015 at 7:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic