Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frs225 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie Questions
    Posted: October/04/2014 at 8:56am
Hello All -

I am currently interested in joining my local blue lodge. I have reached out, and have been invited to come to the lodge to meet current members. I spoke with the Worshipful Master and the Secretary, both seem like really great and genuine guys. I hve not submitted a petition yet, but I have a few questions:

1. My interest in joining is caused by a desire to be part of something larger than myself, and strong intrigue. Is this enough of a reason to join? Outside of the fraternity and charity, I cannot find a whole lot of information on what Freemasonry actually is.

2. When I go to the lodge to meet its current members, how should I dress?

3. After submitting a petition, what type of questions are asked during the investigation committee meeting?

4. What are some typical fees associated with membership?

5. Has anyone been denied membership? If so, what were some of the reasons.

Thank you in advance for taking time to help me out.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 10:18am
Originally posted by frs225 frs225 wrote:

Hello All -

I am currently interested in joining my local blue lodge. I have reached out, and have been invited to come to the lodge to meet current members. I spoke with the Worshipful Master and the Secretary, both seem like really great and genuine guys. I hve not submitted a petition yet, but I have a few questions:

1. My interest in joining is caused by a desire to be part of something larger than myself, and strong intrigue. Is this enough of a reason to join? Outside of the fraternity and charity, I cannot find a whole lot of information on what Freemasonry actually is.

3. After submitting a petition, what type of questions are asked during the investigation committee meeting?

I have been a Mason for 32 years; am a past master and have served on numerous candidate interviews and investigating committees. Based on my experience, which may be different from others, I would answer your questions as follows: 

1. Yes.

2. Business suit or suit jacket and tie,

3. In Massachusetts, an applicant has a pre-application meeting before receiving an application. The applicant will be asked such questions as address, previous addresses,  place of employment, type of employment, if he believes in a supreme being, why he wants to join, if he understands there are no material benefits (such as life insurance) to joining. The applicant will also be given an opportunity to ask questions. If the pre-application meeting is favorable, he will be given an application and must give 12 references. The investigating committee will contact the references and interview the applicant once again. They are looking for accuracy in the information on the application, verifying that the applicant is of good moral character, verifying the reasons he wants too join, and many may want to know if the spouse, if any, supports the applicant joining.

4. In Massachusetts, I believe the initiation fee is around $150.00, it has changed since I came in. Lodge dues vary from lodge-to-lodge. My lodge's dues are $100.00 per year. Some are lower, some are higher.

5. In my experience applicants are rejected for not being of good moral character or joining for gaining material or commercial benefits, such as some people in business want to join in order to increase their customer base.

Edited by droche - October/04/2014 at 10:20am
frs225 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frs225 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 1:41pm
Hello droche -

Your answers were very helpful, and much appreciated. Thank you!
frs225 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frs225 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 1:54pm
Just thought of a few more questions:

1. When one is accepted into the Blue Lodge and completes the 3 degrees, how does the person know which route to take after that (i.e. Scottish Rite, or York Rite) if he is interested in pursuing further degree work?

2.  Are each of the apendant bodies above similar, or are there varying differences between the two?

3.  PA currently offers one day courses for the first three degrees. Based on personal experience, should the first three degrees be studied over more time or is the course sufficient?

4.  Are there any additional suggestions for a new guy starting out to facilitate a favorable acceptance into Freemasonry?

Thanks!
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 2:42pm
frs-

1.  You do not have to take any route after the three degrees. In my opinion, membership in the basic Masonic Blue Lodge can keep you busy and occupied for a long time. I say that as being a Past Thrice Potent Master of a Scottish Rite Lodge of Perfection. That being said, many want to join an appendent body and that is fine. My advice to you is don't think about that now. Go through the basic three degrees and get some time in the Blue Lodge under your belt. You will meet people from each appendent body and you will see which is the best fit for you.

2. There are differences, but it is too early for you to be thinking about that now.

3. I believe that the degrees should be taken over time. In my opinion, one day classes do a disservice to candidates.

4. For additional suggestions, yes. You sound like you are eager to find out as much as you can and that is normal, but it is better to go into Masonry with as little knowledge as possible. That avoids any preconceived notions so you will be able to learn with an empty toolbox, so to speak. You will avoid disappointments if you find out something was different than what you read or what someone told you.

Please note too, the answers I have given you are based on my experience in Massachusetts. Pennsylvania, especially as regards fees, could be a lot different. I just don't know.

Edited by droche - October/04/2014 at 2:47pm
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 5:06pm

I would not be in too great a rush to accumulate certificates.  It took me 20 years even to understand what the name of the work of the Fellowcraft meant.

frs225 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frs225 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2014 at 8:37am
Thank you for your advice. It seems that I may have underestimated the depth of fraternal teachings. I appreciate the advice about entering without expectations and thoughts. I will approach joining with the one step at a time approach. If I am accepted I would like to make the most of the membership, and will focus less on completing every degree possible.

Thanks again for your guidance.
frs225 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frs225 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2014 at 4:41pm
Update -

I went to the lodge and met with 5 of the members. They all were very nice and took the time to answer any questions that I had. They explained the petition process and even offered assistance if needed. I went in a suit as suggested, and I seemed to have made a favorable impression. Now I have to find a PA Mason to sign off on my petition. It turns out that the one mason that I was aware of is not a mason at all. Not sure which direction to go now...  I am thinking about calling the guys that I met last night next week to ask for their advise.

thoughts?

droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2014 at 6:56pm
I think you should call one of the people you met at the lodge. Tell them you really want to join but don't know any Masons outside of those you met the other night. I don't know how things work in Pennsylvania, but usually, if someone wants very much to get in and he makes a favorable enough impression on those he met, one of them will sponsor him.
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2014 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by frs225 frs225 wrote:

Hello All -

Whatever reason you have to join is good enough, as long as it is your reason and it is true. The lodge will determine if it's compatible to the goals of freemasonry and the traditions of their lodge.

Present yourself how you would like to be taken. There's no strict guidelines but personally, I would like to be taken seriously so I'd dress business casual at a minimum

The goal of the investigation is to determine who you are, what your character is, your family, your history, everything about you. They will then determine if you're a good fit, bur it's really no pressure. As long as you're not off the wall or have any skeletons in your closet, you should be fine. Just be honest and open.

It varies greatly. That would be a great question to ask prior to turning in your petition.

Yes. Variety of reasons. I can't disclose the reasons I have personally seen or observed but don't be too concerned about that.

I hope my response helps
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2015 at 11:38pm
My initial meeting at my home was quite funny.they knew that a fellow brother had signed my petition. And had highly recommended me. I was home alone when the 3 brothers came to meet me. After inviting them in, we sat and chatted for a few minutes. Then my girlfriend came home, and one of the brothers recognized my girlfriend. In whom he grew up with and knew her family very well.he looked at the other 2 and said I don't know why we're even here. He already knows what it's all about. She's a life time member of the rainbow girls, her dad was a 32° and a shriner, mom was in the eastern star.brother in law a fellow mason at the lodge. And it was her step dad a 2xs past master at the lodge, 32° mason and a shriner. So, of course I knew what I was getting into.so.we all had a good laugh.
brother bell
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic