Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proper title etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper title etiquette
    Posted: October/10/2014 at 9:03pm
Brothers I realize about 5 minutes on Google will get me an answer. But, I was wondering the proper titles for a past worshipful master..past Grand Master etc. i was wondering if it was the same everywhere. Might be a stupid question but....
"Be careful how you live. You may be the only Mason some people will ever meet." -unknown
GAmastermason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAmastermason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2014 at 10:25pm
Its Worshipful Brother, Most Worshipful Grand Master or Most Worshipful Past Grand Master. I know there are 2 jurisdictions that use Right Worshipful Grand Master. One is Pennsylvania I dont remember the other.
Past Master
Past High Priest
Past Illustrious Master
Past Eminent Commander
Past Worthy Patron OES
Yaarab Shriner
Tall Cedars of Lebanon
KYCH
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2014 at 7:25am
Check your GL Code or etiquette manual.   It is not the same everywhere.
Usually, a Mason keeps the tittle of the highest office to which he was elected.   The exception would be appointments to higher offices.

GaMasterMason is correct above.   GL of Georgia titles are a little different than most other GLs.
Gm & PGM => Most Worshipful
GL line officers => Right Worshipful
GL Appointments (req'd to be a PM); PM; & Masters => Worshipful
MM; FC; & EA => Brother
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2014 at 4:14pm
It completely depends on your jurisdiction like edwmax said

For example, some jurisdictions allow that WM's and PM's be addressed as Worshipful Brother. However some jurisdictions don't even have that title.

Then there's the thing about PA which has its GM addressed as Right Worshipful GM when almost every other jurisdiction has their GM addressed as Most Worshipful GM.

I am not sure what the title is for a PGM, but I assume it is still MW PGM in most jurisdictions.

Apart from a PM and a PGM, there is really no other "Past Title" in a lot of jurisdictions so if a person was say DDGM, and they are no longer DDGM, you just address them as RW Bro Joe Bud, PM.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2014 at 12:16pm
In the Grand Lodge of Scotland, titles are attached to offices, not individuals. Thus our Grand Master is "The Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason, Bro.Charles I. R. Wolrige Gordon of Esslemont' and is addressed simply as "Brother Wolrige Gordon". As Master of my Lodge I was "Brother Paul Miller, Right Worship Master"and now am "Brother Paul Miller, Past Master" (usually written "Bro. Paul Miller, PM").

Actually neither Grand lodge or its daughter lodges have any 'officers' - only 'office-bearers'!  This is only one way Scottish practice differs from that of other grand Lodges - Scots definitely do things 'their way'!
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2014 at 6:20am
My daughter was taking a Cultural Anthropology course in college and chose Freemasonry as the topic of her term paper. One of my lodge brothers arranged for her to interview a Past Grand Master, Most Worshipful Donald Gardener Hicks. I had only been Raised a couple of months at the time.

We met at Grand Lodge, my first time there. When we met, I said, "I'm embarrassed to say this, but I have no idea how to address you." MW Hicks said, "The highest complement you can pay me is to call me 'Brother'." 

I have since learned that it is always safe to call any Mason "Brother". The actual titles in Massachusetts are:

Any Mason: Brother.
Presiding and Past Master: Worshipful
Grand Lodge Officers: Right Worshipful
Grand Master: Most Worshipful

Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
NewToLight84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2014 at 5:58pm
Very nice..
"Be careful how you live. You may be the only Mason some people will ever meet." -unknown
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2014 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by CanadianPaul CanadianPaul wrote:

In the Grand Lodge of Scotland, titles are attached to offices, not individuals. Thus our Grand Master is "The Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason, Bro.Charles I. R. Wolrige Gordon of Esslemont' and is addressed simply as "Brother Wolrige Gordon". As Master of my Lodge I was "Brother Paul Miller, Right Worship Master"and now am "Brother Paul Miller, Past Master" (usually written "Bro. Paul Miller, PM").

Actually neither Grand lodge or its daughter lodges have any 'officers' - only 'office-bearers'!  This is only one way Scottish practice differs from that of other grand Lodges - Scots definitely do things 'their way'!

I actually really like the scottish style of addressing brethren.

Edited by Caution1010 - October/22/2014 at 7:50pm
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2014 at 9:57am
I am also a Past Master of  a Lodge of Research holding of the GL of Newfoundland and Labrador, in whose lodges I am 'Worshipful Brother Miller'. At the time of the erection of that Lodge the Grand Master at the time made a motion that in lodge all brethren would be addressed only as "Brother'.  
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2014 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by CanadianPaul CanadianPaul wrote:

Fascinating. Thank you.
Gainesville Lodge #41
Pscyclepath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pscyclepath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2014 at 8:31pm
For an individual:  "Brother" e.g., "Brother Smith" or less formally, "Brother Tom."

Plural:  "Brethren."    "Brethren,we are now about to..."

Lodge Officer:  "Worshipful Master,"  or "Brother [Title], e.g., "Brother Senior Warden."

Grand Master:  "Most Worshipful."

Grand Lodge officer than than the GM: "Right Worshipful."

Edited by Pscyclepath - October/24/2014 at 8:34pm
Tom Ezell
Adoniram #288, F&AM
Mablevale, AR
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic