Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We have refreshments...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We have refreshments...
    Posted: November/07/2014 at 2:16pm
Any thoughts on refreshments after lodge ? iE what do you guys see out there and what do you recommend ?
brother_steve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brother_steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2014 at 2:21pm
Are you speaking of alcohol in the dining area?

Check your GL for protocol.
Initiated: 4-22-13
Passed: 5-29-13
Raised: 6-27-13
F&AM GLNJ
Marshal
FKA: BroScubaSteve(Lost Login/Email)
jdeal View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2014 at 2:48pm
No not at all.. Mean after lodge snack items
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle-751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2014 at 7:22am
Originally posted by jdeal jdeal wrote:

Any thoughts on refreshments after lodge ? iE what do you guys see out there and what do you recommend ?

Greetings Brother, I have seen bean soup, home-made pie's, pizza's, bread with lunch meats and everything in between...  Whatever it is the Brethren will appreciate it and enjoy it. The refreshment is good but the fellowship is great.
Past Master ( 2014 - 2015 )
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2014 at 11:10am
My mother lodge has been having an informal dinner before meetings - chili, ham and bakes beans, and this month spaghetti. A great excuse to come early and chat and, as our GL allows, the bar is open until the dinner ends.

When we have a dinner before a meeting we don't usually have refreshments after, but when we do they are more informal still. Sandwiches, Cookies, other munchies, tea, coffee and a cash bar. Then most sales at the bar tend to be soft drinks.
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
Pscyclepath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pscyclepath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2014 at 1:15pm
We serve a festive board sort of meal one hour before the lodge opens.  Then after lodge, or during the break time in between degree sections, we have coffee and desserts (or seconds) available, and we generally wind up sweeping folks out the door so that those who have to get up and go to work the following morning can get home in time to do so ;-)

Tom Ezell
Adoniram #288, F&AM
Mablevale, AR
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2014 at 9:13am
We have an unusual tradition in my lodge. We have two meetings per month the first is our Stated and we do all our business during that meeting on the second Thursday of each month. We meet a second time on the fourth Thursday for a Special Communication and only do Ritual. We do not serve a meal before the meeting but after. Since we break up the tasks we generally are together in our game room sharing a meal by 8:30 or 9:00. Most times, Brothers are still there as late as 11:00 enjoying cigars and refreshments. We thoroughly enjoy our time together. 
Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2014 at 12:24pm
I would love for Freemasonry to return to our splendid tradition of having malt/vinuous/distilled spirits in our refreshment. Up until the disaster of Prohibition, beer, wine, and hard liquor were served in our lodge buildings.

I have visited lodges in 5 (five) foreign countries, and virtually every nation in the world, Freemasonic halls have alcohol available for refreshment.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
NewToLight84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2014 at 9:40pm
After EA we usually do something fun like cookies and ice cream.
After FC we do like a "cold meat" like subs
After MM we do like catered in meals (chicken as main course with sides) for example.
Don't do anything for meetings but maybe I could ask about offering snacks after wards.
"Be careful how you live. You may be the only Mason some people will ever meet." -unknown
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2014 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by cemab4y cemab4y wrote:

I would love for Freemasonry to return to our splendid tradition of having malt/vinuous/distilled spirits in our refreshment. Up until the disaster of Prohibition, beer, wine, and hard liquor were served in our lodge buildings.

I have visited lodges in 5 (five) foreign countries, and virtually every nation in the world, Freemasonic halls have alcohol available for refreshment.

You should visit my lodge, brother. I couple of years ago I was watching "Moonshiners" on TV and saw someone make a beverage called "Grandma's Apple Pie". Being fond of both apple pie and alcohol, this seemed like a wonderful idea to me. I found a recipe on the web, bought a bottle of Everclear grain alcohol and mixed up a batch, bottling it in (of course) Mason Jars. 

Since then, I've come up with a recipe for "Blueberry Pie" and made Lemoncello sharing the fruits of my labor with my brothers after our meetings. 

In Massachusetts, we can have alcohol but we cannot have a permanent bar set up. We always have beer. Many brothers bring Scotch or Tequila to share and a few have even started brewing their own versions of traditional Moonshine recipes, too. 

Edited by windrider - December/20/2014 at 6:05pm
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2014 at 5:53pm
I visit a lot of lodges in my traveling. I have visited lodges in 14 states, WashDC, and five foreign countries. When I visit a lodge, that is serving a meal, they almost always refuse to let me pay. I get more free meals, than I pay in annual dues.

I have eaten a lot of rubber chicken, and target-paste mashed potatoes. I can't complain, I usually get excellent food at a lodge. I was feeling particularly hungry one night, and the lodge was serving oyster stew, my favorite.

My only "beef", is I have never been served any alcohol, at any lodge in the USA.

Happily, many lodges adjourn to a nearby tavern, after the meeting. In Fort Wayne IN, the downtown lodge hall is "dry", but the Mizpah Shrine is two blocks away, and the brothers will adjourn and go to the Shrine for a libation.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
Anthony660 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2014 at 12:59pm
We usualy have beer after our stated meetings. We sit around and shoot the bull and just socialize. I agree with Chales, we should get back to allowing drinks at dinner.
PM Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Al Malaikah Shrine AAONMS
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
GC Aben Zoar, Order of Alhambra
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2014 at 10:21am
Lodges in both jurisdictions in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador allow liquor to be served before and after meetings. It is not usual for it to be served before a meeting unless a dinner is being held.

In over 25 years in the Craft I have never heard of this being abused.
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
scotladd View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2014 at 5:07pm
Our lodge provides refreshments ahead of time. Not sure I have ever seen refreshments offered afterwords. Of course if you wanted to take some leftovers with you or something that would be fine, but we dont have a spread after, like we do before.
Entered: 11 SEP 2014
Passed: 25 NOV 2014
Raised: 20 DEC 2014
Nederland, Texas A.F. & A.M
Lodge #1368
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2014 at 6:33am
Originally posted by scotladd scotladd wrote:

Our lodge provides refreshments ahead of time. Not sure I have ever seen refreshments offered afterwords. Of course if you wanted to take some leftovers with you or something that would be fine, but we dont have a spread after, like we do before.

That's one of many examples of what makes each lodge unique. Since my jurisdiction prohibits serving alcohol before meetings, we enjoy our food, drink and cigars after the meeting. 

We are the beneficiaries of the building boom in the late 1920s and have a Masonic center that was purpose-built in 1928. There are three lodge rooms in the four story building and four lodges currently meet there along with several appendant bodies. The building was so active when it was built that there was originally a four chair barber shop on the fourth floor. 

The men who designed and built our building included a game room with three pool tables and a billiards table. More recently, we added a few large TVs with satellite service along with wifi throughout most of the building. We can get electronic key fobs that allow us access to the game room and library any time we wish. As a result, men can be found to hang out with almost any time, especially if there is a game on. This fraternalism is facilitated by the ability to bring your own beverages and the ready availability of pizza delivery ;)

Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2014 at 8:06am
Wow, that's awesome! I wish my lodge was like that!
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2014 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

Wow, that's awesome! I wish my lodge was like that!

Several lodges with their own buildings in the area saw the benefits of an active, informal space like our game room and have constructed their own. There are dart boards and foosball tables along with TVs, tables and chairs. Pool tables can be quite expensive, but there may be someone willing to donate one. Providing access is relatively easy if there is a separate entrance that can be keyed differently than the main door to the building. If you build it, they will come :)
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic