Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are you ashamed ????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you ashamed ????
    Posted: November/09/2014 at 5:48pm
I will start off by clarifying this topic. There are older gents in my lodge that are not comfortable with us wearing "light" outside the lodge. I am speaking about anything with square, and compass on it displaying our pride in the organization that we belong to. Caps, rings, shirts etc.... I am not ashamed to be a Mason, nor do I see the problem with wearing a cap, ring, or shirt that has square, and compass. I understand flashy or overkill, but why hide light under a bushel if you have it. This gent will not even wear his light when we have community events. I'm confused. What make it the more strange is this is our leader.... Hint Hint....... without saying he's seated in the EAST. Can someone chime in on this situation. I attended Mid Winter Session this past Saturday and this gent was the only officer seated in front without anything signifying his office. 

Getting better everyday !!!!
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
Brighter and Brighter!!!!
Anthony660 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2014 at 1:02pm

I know several masons includiing PM's who do not wear and Masonic jewelry, I myself only wear a ring; as I prefer to keep my membership subtle.(I am a member of the AASR, AANOMS, and the Masonic Society).

You say your WM sat in the front row without anything signifying his office, was he supposed to wear an apron? What were the others wearing?
PM Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Al Malaikah Shrine AAONMS
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
GC Aben Zoar, Order of Alhambra
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2014 at 1:30pm
You seem to assume that if a Mason doesn't wear or display a ring, jewelry or other ornaments of the Craft that he is ashamed of being a Mason. That's a pretty broad brush to paint things with IMO. I only wear a ring and the only reason I wear that is because it was left to me by a Brother I very much looked up to. I do not need to broadcast to the world that I am a Mason. My actions and the way I live my life are far greater testaments to me being a Mason than anything else. If Masons want to wear or display ornaments of the Craft, fine, but if others are, let's say, "quiet professionals" that is fine too and doesn't mean they are ashamed to be Masons. I have been an active Mason for almost 33 years and I am by no means ashamed of it.
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2014 at 2:11pm
I think I have been misinterpreted. Making this a little more plain. We are instructed not to wear any light as in rings, caps etc.... I dont think IMHO that no other brother should basically forbid another from wearing a ring, or a cap if they would like to. I dont support flashing masonic emblems etc. but sure do support a brother wearing a ring if he so desires. That is where I was coming from with my post. I think it should be a brother's choice rather than a demand from someone else that doesn't wear any. I am a pastor of a church but I will not force my beliefs on anyone. Re-directing my question. Should anyone forbid me from wearing a square and compass ?
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
js584 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js584 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2014 at 5:34pm
Absolutely not, it is your choice.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2014 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by ebojones ebojones wrote:

I think I have been misinterpreted. Making this a little more plain. We are instructed not to wear any light as in rings, caps etc.... I dont think IMHO that no other brother should basically forbid another from wearing a ring, or a cap if they would like to. I dont support flashing masonic emblems etc. but sure do support a brother wearing a ring if he so desires. That is where I was coming from with my post. I think it should be a brother's choice rather than a demand from someone else that doesn't wear any. I am a pastor of a church but I will not force my beliefs on anyone. Re-directing my question. Should anyone forbid me from wearing a square and compass ?

Your original post did not state that you were instructed not to wear Masonic emblems. If that is the case then I would say no, nobody should forbid you from wearing them. 

Who told you that you couldn't wear them and under what circumstances?

I notice from your profile that you are a member of Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Texas. Not being a member of that Grand Lodge, I don't know if they have certain rules about it, I wouldn't know, but in my jurisdiction there are no restrictions. The only one I could think of is perhaps not wearing something so prominent or flashy at a political event where it could be construed that the Masons as a corporate body would be supporting a certain candidate or issue. Even then, in my jurisdiction there would be nothing wrong with wearing something like a ring or lapel pin to something like that.

Edited by droche - November/10/2014 at 5:52pm
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2014 at 6:47pm
The statement did not come from the MWPHGLOT. It came from internal leader of my lodge. I was at the Grand Lodge this past Saturday and I can assure you all officers there were properly adorned with officer collars etc... Except the officer from my lodge!!!!!
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2014 at 6:57pm
We had an event recently and were giving away school supplies, and members were told not to wear their lodge issued shirts, although the two brothers and I have not received these shirts. That may be a timing thing, but my intent is not to bash my lodge, or leadership. I am in search of input on why we are discouraged to show who we are. I AM NOT ASHAMED!!!! I am not into the flash that some are into, but I do want to represent just like i am not ashamed to be a Christian. Our ministry badge is on my truck and a Marine badge with square and compass. I am proud to be identified as all of the above organizations, even if all my brothers are not. I dont display anything illegal or demeaning, and all in suttle ways. Nothing goddy or obnoxious.
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2014 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by ebojones ebojones wrote:

The statement did not come from the MWPHGLOT. It came from internal leader of my lodge. I was at the Grand Lodge this past Saturday and I can assure you all officers there were properly adorned with officer collars etc... Except the officer from my lodge!!!!!

Are you referring about wearing of Officer jewels & aprons????    If so, these are the jewels of your Lodge.   It is not appropriate to wear these within other Lodges or Grand Lodge since the Mason does not hold an office in that Lodge or generally (very few exceptions) outside of your Lodge     ... Rings, lapel pins, and Past Master aprons are appropriate.   Look in your GL Code for wearing of emblems or aprons.                         
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2014 at 9:51pm
In Missouri, the only persons who are not to wear the Square and Compasses are Entered Apprentices and Fellow Crafts. Once you become a Master Mason, then displaying our symbol on jewelry and clothing is absolutely encouraged!
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
AaronSawyer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSawyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 12:41am
I don't understand their qualm, really.
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 2:52am
I dont either brother... and I feel that as MM we do have the right to wear a symbol of a MM in the form of a ring etc.... in moderation. There were 12 of us from 3 different lodges raised at the same time by the District Marshall, and other district officers and the three from my lodge were the only 3 that didn't receive our rituals, certificates, and constitution at that ceramony. We had to step aside and watch the other 9 newly raised MM receive theirs and take pictures with D.M. Our WM said he would take care of it later. Well we ended up purchasing our own constitutions at M.W.S. this past Saturday. I am going to make the best out of my lodge no matter what, but dang it's trying.   
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 2:58am
All officers wore collars, and appropriate aprons at the MWS. All WM wore their jewels as well. There are none worn in my lodge . AT ALL... In the lodge, at Grand, or anywhere else. Again as trying as it is I will continue to seek more light, and crave  to understand Masonry although we are not getting fed in our own house.
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
De Darrah View Drop Down
Matron
Matron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Darrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 5:59am
I think your brother comes from a period in time when Brothers were taught to keep everything including their membership a secret. We forget that we were not always welcome and considered a subversive secret order. It was for the protection of the membership to keep all things Masonic a secret. Even today there are still places in the world where being a Brother will get you killed. He may also have taken to heart the idea that all Brothers are equal within the Lodge and the showing of offices or title could be an attempt to place oneself above the others in the Lodge. I know some Brothers today that feel this way. It is very old school.
My suggestion to you is to find time to have a sit-down with your Brother and ask him his opinion on the subject. His insight might be interesting knowledge to have.

Edited by De Darrah - November/11/2014 at 6:01am
De
Past Matron New Hope Ch. #117 OES
PWHP Palm Shrine No.32 now Alchor #27 WSOJ
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A.

As Brother Ben F. said
"In Wine there is Wisdom
In Beer there is Freedom
In Water there is Bacteria"
<
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 3:32pm
Good point De Darrah. thanks for that. 
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 5:34pm
On the TV news tonight showing wreath laying ceremony at our local War Memorial saw brethren from both jurisdictions here very visible in full regalia. They were part of the official wreath laying party.
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 6:39pm
Surely less hiding the fact.
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2014 at 7:03am
Originally posted by CanadianPaul CanadianPaul wrote:

On the TV news tonight showing wreath laying ceremony at our local War Memorial saw brethren from both jurisdictions here very visible in full regalia. They were part of the official wreath laying party.

A 'Lodge of Sorrow', where the group attend as a Lodge.   Thus, the members wear aprons and the Officers wear the regalia of his station.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
hulon View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hulon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2014 at 11:05am
We should be proud to wear light that shows we are in a upright profession but we should be aware that others are watching us so they can put us down
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2014 at 12:26pm
Only thing worth hiding is something that is not of the light. Shine on BROTHERS.......
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2015 at 11:56am
I wear my mason hoodie in public, and with pride.i really don't pay much attention to what others seem to think. They will think what they will.
brother bell
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2015 at 6:16pm
What an interesting topic! I am the Mason, who got the Kentucky state legislature to authorize Masonic license plates for the state of KY. Unhappily, few Masons get them. Myself, I always wear a ring or belt buckle, when I leave the house. And I have a Masonic sticker on the rear window of the car.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2015 at 8:08pm
The plates are just plain expensive. If they was cheaper here in Illinois. I would have them.
brother bell
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 10:00am
Originally posted by cemab4y cemab4y wrote:

What an interesting topic! I am the Mason, who got the Kentucky state legislature to authorize Masonic license plates for the state of KY. Unhappily, few Masons get them. Myself, I always wear a ring or belt buckle, when I leave the house. And I have a Masonic sticker on the rear window of the car.

Was the Grand Lodge of Kentucky involved?
jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 8:45am
Originally posted by boing1972 boing1972 wrote:

I wear my mason hoodie in public, and with pride.i really don't pay much attention to what others seem to think. They will think what they will.

Where did you get your Mason hoodie and what does it look like? I might want to purchase one for myself.
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 9:32am
Go to black college. Com , type in mason hoodie. It's gold and black.
brother bell
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 4:18pm
Places like JP Luther (http://www.jpluther.com/) or Harry Klitzner (http://www.klitzner.com/) - to name a few - have a wide assortment of Masonic clothing, among other things.

Edited by WBScott - February/18/2015 at 4:18pm
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2015 at 4:31pm
IT won't let me up load a picture.
brother bell
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2015 at 6:04am
Originally posted by YES YES wrote:

Bump
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2015 at 1:22pm

Bump

@cemb4y

You have visited the site since my original query as well as since my bump of the post, but have not replied.  I would simply like to know if the Grand Lodge of Kentucky was involved in any way in the process.
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2015 at 8:23am

Bump

@cemb4y

You have visited the site since my original query as well as since my bump of the post, but have not replied.  I would simply like to know if the Grand Lodge of Kentucky was involved in any way in the process.

Bump again.  Still waiting for an answer.
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2015 at 2:54pm
See my posting on the "change" topic. The Grand Lodge of Kentucky was NOT involved in any way, with my approaching my state senator, to get the Masonic plates in Kentucky. No way.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
Anubicdarque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anubicdarque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2015 at 9:37pm
When we join as an EA in GLSANT, GL sends you a square and compass pin, (or used to  they may have stopped now due to finances), which you are encouraged to wear.  Though we are not supposed to wear masonic pins or decorations on our suit jackets in lodge (except those issued by GL for things like 25 year service)  though that particular rule is more honoured by the breach rather than compliance.  
Elizabeth Lodge #200, AFAM South Australia and the Northern Territory.
St George Lodge, #33, FAM Utah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic