Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Masonic Employment Bureaus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masonic Employment Bureaus
    Posted: December/03/2014 at 5:31pm
Does anyone here have any experience with Masonic Employment Bureaus? During the 1930's (long before my time), Grand Lodges and Lodges assisted Masons (and their dependents) with employment assistance.

Can we bring this splendid tradition back? I believe that we could revive the employment bureaus, and even expand them to providing assistance to non-Masons, and anyone who needs work.

Some masons are terrified of the legal implications, that if we started to assist people in their job search, that we would be open to discrimination lawsuits. This fear is unjustified, if we provide assistance on a non-discriminatory basis.

Many churches and non-profit organizations provide employment assistance to the public. One example is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons). The LDS church operates a national chain of employment bureaus, which provide assistance in preparing resumes, and coaching people in how to do interviews. Since the LDS assists anyone, regardless of church membership, there is no legal problem.

Can we do this? Can we bring back this splendid tradition?
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2014 at 5:36pm
There are already organizations which do this. For this particular task, they are more organized, more experienced and therefore - more efficient in their endeavours. 
We should focus on what we do best and try to do it even better - teaching our members the tenets of Freemasonry. 
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2014 at 9:11am
I disagree. In the USA, the states operate employment services. Most are very poor, and unable to assist people in getting work. You need to keep in mind, that Masonic lodges have traditionally assisted members (and dependents) in seeking work. During the depression of the 1930's, the unemployment rate for Masons was less than the general population, because we assisted each other.

In this new economy, seeking work is a new experience.

True, there are other non-government organizations that assist people in seeking work.

Perhaps things are different north of the border. If all Masons in Canada already have work, and no assistance is needed, then great.

Here in the USA, there are people who have been out of work for months, and the existing government agencies are not getting the people back to work.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Cookslc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2014 at 11:34pm
Haven't we had this discussion before?
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2014 at 7:43am
Brother Martin, if a non-mason came to this Masonic Employment Bureau looking for help, should we refuse?
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2014 at 7:55am
I have discussed this topic frequently. I have suffered from the scourge of unemployment, and I have assisted others in seeking work.

I believe that if Grand Lodges set up a program like this, that we should offer assistance to anyone who asks. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints(the Mormons) have employment assistance bureaus, and they offer assistance to anyone, who asks!

And the more people we assist, the wider our net is cast, and more people will learn of jobs.

And the more companies learn of the program, the more will send their job orders to the bureau.

You will start a "virtuous cycle", and the program will begin to take off.

And there will be other benefits, not involving jobs. More people will learn of Masonry, and maybe some will be petitioning.

One of the leadership secrets of Mother Teresa (Nobel Prize-winner)is that the organization is not permitted to use the word "problem". When there is a challenge, the organization is required to use the word "gift".

I believe sincerely, that Freemasonry could take the new economy, and the challenges of assisting Masons (and dependents, and the public), in seeking employment, and make a gift out of it. We can serve our brothers, as we are required to do in our oath. We can serve others outside the fraternity.

Another Nobel prize-winner, Aung San Suu Kyi said "If you do nothing, you get nothing".

Edited by cemab4y - December/17/2014 at 3:33pm
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic