Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What if ?????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if ?????
    Posted: December/21/2014 at 9:21pm
What if:
You were a new member of a lodge chartered in 1907.
Lodge was re-erected in 1979 at another location.
The lodge had no indoor plumbing. 
No improvements made to a building in VERY bad shape.
Master in the east for 7 years. SW in his chair the same. Sec the same. JW the same. 
No other officers seated anywhere.
Very few if any fundraisers to help community, or make lodge improvements.
Closed ears to new ideas that would stimulate growth.
Member decline constantly on the rise.
No restrooms since moving there in 1979.
Just informed that SW is in line for East next.

What is there to do, or motivate the rest of the newly raised brothers and myself to stay?
Last three brothers raised was 4 years ago, and none attend lodge anymore.
What do we do besides study on our own as we have been doing. Brother raised 6 months before me just received his MM lecture with 2 weeks ago.     I want more out of Freemasonry that we are getting.
Help with suggestions please...........

Getting better everyday !!!!
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
Brighter and Brighter!!!!
jimi_stephen View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimi_stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2014 at 10:51pm
Well, If you can get enough of the other brothers there on election night and throw them out. It's kind of crappy thing to do, but if they're not doing anything to grow the lodge there really isn't anything else.
Raised 8-16-11

NewToLight84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2014 at 12:31am
Wow...don't know where to begin Brother...it's very odvious that the lodge you are talking about is dear to you and you do not wish to leave it? But...idk that's sad to here.. I recently got a petition for York Rite and was told they really needed guys like me...there last meeting they couldn't even open because there wasn't enough people present..just makes me sad to here your situation..
"Be careful how you live. You may be the only Mason some people will ever meet." -unknown
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2014 at 1:17am
I have heard of a few brothers in stagnant lodges like that. The brothers love for the craft died with the stagnancy of the craft. It was so bad for one he didn't even bother paying dues. Do you know that the lodge was so incompetent that they never knew he stopped paying dues? 

Anyway, eventually they complained and complained to the district deputy and years later, after some restructuring, there was another change in the form of new guidelines to how lodges should function i.e increasing output.

Since then there's been a perk in the step of some of the officers of said lodge. They are not moving as fast, but they know if they aren't moving forward, there's a grand lodge officer behind them with a sword to their behind.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2014 at 5:38am
I joined this great fraternity to do good things for the community, and especially for those in need. I see all these lodges doing so much, and enjoying it. I haven't missed a meeting since I have been in, and NEVER saw the lodge opened. We just sit there and shoot the bull. Not what I want to spend my time doing. Learning comes by a few of us getting together at one of our homes to go over and keep fresh what little we do know. I am the first to have a copy of the lodge by-laws because I asked after being informed by a friend from another lodge that each lodge has it's own by-laws aside from the constitution from the grand lodge. Should have seen the look of surprise on the faces of the few brothers present when I asked the sec. for a copy. Murmors of I didn't know we had those came from brothers that were members many years before me. I am going into Royal Arch on Jan. 10th and cant wait. They are really active, and do things by the book, but I want so much more from my Blue Lodge as I have paid my dues up for six months ahead, and plan to keep them ahead that far. We can do so much better, and obviously I am not the only one that feels this way. Several have left. Wish I could post pics of the lodge, but I am going to pass on that because it saddens me how King Sol Temple is being represented. The re-erection granite stone bearing the name of PGM I.H. Clayborn is lying in the dirt out back from 1979.
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2014 at 5:46am
You need to contact your district deputy, or maybe the Grand East himself and make him/them aware of what is going on. Completely UNACCEPTABLE!   
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2014 at 7:14am
I heard something recently from a TV personality and it made me think again about life in general.

There are two dates and a hyphen between them. Right now we are all in that hyphen and we do not know when that end date is.

Do what you have to do to be happy. If you have it in you to fight it out to resurrect the lodge, go for it.

If you feel that you need to move on ... well ... do what you must.

I am not saying to be selfish. What I am trying to say is to put your best foot forward and do what you have to do because at the end of the day you have to be happy with yourself before you leave for the lodge on high.
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
NewToLight84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2014 at 7:43am
Absolutely agree with Adept? I'm wondering how no one from your GL knows about any of this..
"Be careful how you live. You may be the only Mason some people will ever meet." -unknown
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2014 at 2:29pm
My last resort would be leaving this lodge or contacting district, but I see no light at the end of this tunnel as long as the same attitude toward the craft exist. I know why I get the looks when I tell others who I am affiliated with, or wear the hoodie I had made with lodge name and number on it. I have had several men sarcastically ask (OH YOU ARE ONE OF THEM HUH?) Just like a business under new management is more likely to survive than one dummed for disaster, so can this lodge be REALLY re-erected in a new place/location especially one with running water, and a bathroom with good motivated men in place. 
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
js584 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js584 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2014 at 8:16pm
As bad as you say it is, they are harming the Fraternity as a whole and un-masonic charges should be pursued through your Grand Master/Lodge.  It may be a hard decision to make but it shouldn't be allowed to continue.  Right is right and wrong will always be wrong.  IMHO
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2014 at 11:28pm
I think you're getting some sound advice here brother Jones. You may never know the result of your action; but if you take no action...there can be no result. Further, you are bound by your obligation to do whatever is in your power for the good of the fraternity. The doctrines of Freemasonry are on the lips of many; but in the hearts of few... which are you?
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2014 at 10:54am
Brother Littlefield I agree totally with this theory. I didn't join this fraternity to watch others do good things. I joined to be a part of the ones doing good things. Furthurmore I joined to be taught by others that have gone on this journey before me. Just isn't happening where I am. There are 8 new brothers added in the last 4 years and only 3 of us attend from that group. I just dont understand. I love what I see other lodges/Masons do, and the heart that they pour out for the good of others. I know what my obligation says, but that is not being practiced where I am. The brothers are talking about opening another lodge, and are all looking to me for answers. Most have been there years before me, but they are WAYYYY behind in knowledge, or direction because they have continued to be passengers on a ship bound for nowhere. I thank the GAOTU for directing me here because I know there is more for me to do than sit around a lodge and listen to guys talk about everything outside the realm of freemasonry. I bought the book Makey's Jurisprudence and have been thumbing through it. Surprise Surprise Surprise !!!!!  I have great guys ask about freemasonry but I would not DARE introduce them to my current lodge. I would be ashamed for one because of the very bad shape of the building, and second the lack of knowledge passed on. 
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2015 at 10:25pm
I see a lot of the same going on at my lodge, and have tried to bring change to a lodge that is dying out.there is alot of dirty political goings on.and money Un accounted for, and 4 of our older brethren has turned our lodge into a club house.being newly raised , I see there isn't many who attend meetings and degree work.when I asked if this was it, I was told we have over 200 members. But most stop coming because of the back stabbing. Dirty politics. So, I asked who to talk with. One of the problems we have is our Wm. Who is also the district higher up.so when I talked with a few others who has issues as well about going to the grand lodge.im told to let it go.because there might be a chance of losing our charter.if GL actually came down and seen what was happening. And now I don't know what to do.
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2015 at 1:58pm
If they are not doing what they are supposed to do, and the charter gets pulled, that's not on you.   The GL should "come by" (not down) and see what is happening.
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2015 at 3:09pm
Agreed. I had to go over some heads from my lodge, and change is already happening. We have secured a new location, and they have allowed me to build new lodge furniture, along with the Pillars, and 3 Lessors. Sometimes the new guy has to be the one to shake things up if nobody before you does. As far as the charter being pulled, thats basically a 6 month probation to see if the lodge will clean up their act. That is the best thing that can happen in some cases. Put them under the Grand's close eye, and wait for sure change to happen.

Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2015 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by ebojones ebojones wrote:

I joined this great fraternity to do good things for the community, and especially for those in need.

My last resort would be leaving this lodge...

With all due respect my Brother, the sad state of affairs of your lodge is a recurring theme of all your posts and as much as most of the rest of us get so much pleasure and a sense of fulfillment from being a Mason, that does not seem to be the path you are on.

You have a good heart and your intentions are exemplary, but you don't need to be a Mason to be a beacon of light in your community. There must be other organizations such as a church, civic organization or other fraternal organization that would love to have you as a member. There are other organizations that somehow manage to get work done without all of stuff going on in your lodge. 

I said this in another one of your rants against your lodge and I meant it... that lodge you belong to does not deserve to have you as a member.  

I want more out of Freemasonry that we are getting.
Help with suggestions please...........

This is going to be very hard for some people to read, but....

Simply being a Mason does not make you a better man. Being of service to your fellow man is what makes you a better man. My advice (and it is worth exactly what it cost you - $0.00), move on and focus your energy and your efforts towards doing good things in your community instead of wasting your time where it does not appear that it is even wanted.

Edited by WBScott - January/26/2015 at 10:16pm
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 5:35am
"...There is a struggle for substance in life, the actor who "struts and frets his hour" or a playwright who tells "a tale full of sound and fury" but it is contrived and senseless and will thus fade into obscurity..."
William Shakespeare
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 10:48am
I treat poorly run (and closed minded) lodges like a poorly run business.  I go elsewhere.  My home lodge was dying.  A group of us young brothers made changes and got people interested.  Then a father and son took control and we haven't had enough (7 as required by our GL) to open.  Now the lodge is in worse shape than it was before.  So I'm moving to another lodge.

Is this the ideal answer NO!  But sometimes things need to die to grow.  I think Jesus said something about planting a seed to this effect.  Good luck brother!
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
Anthony660 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 12:18pm
I firmly believe that "sick" lodges should be allowed to die or be taken over by GL. IMO I would move on and find a lodge that is alive and well where your efforts will be appreciated.
PM Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Al Malaikah Shrine AAONMS
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
GC Aben Zoar, Order of Alhambra
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 4:48pm
I hear all of you and thank you very much for GREAT advise. I haven't completely moved on, but am on a new journey. There is a new OES chapter being started this Saturday, and my wife, and I are joining. Initiation for this new chapter is Saturday the 31st. We had a meeting last week with the Grand Patron, and he asked me if I would be willing to be trained by his team to be Worthy Patron of this chapter, and I accepted his offer. I still have a passion for my mother lodge to succeed, but if not.......
I don't know if I mentioned that I am Pastor of Willing Vessels Ministries so I am involved in community service and the kids are a big part of our ministry, and they make up our band. My wife in a teacher going into her 23rd year, and that helps to put us in touch with the needy.
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
ebojones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2015 at 5:36pm
Hopefully my builds will motivate the lodge a little. I plan to present it at next stated meeting

Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2015 at 7:01am

I hear all of you and thank you very much for GREAT advise. I haven't completely moved on, but am on a new journey. There is a new OES chapter being started this Saturday, and my wife, and I are joining. Initiation for this new chapter is Saturday the 31st. We had a meeting last week with the Grand Patron, and he asked me if I would be willing to be trained by his team to be Worthy Patron of this chapter, and I accepted his offer. I still have a passion for my mother lodge to succeed, but if not.......
I don't know if I mentioned that I am Pastor of Willing Vessels Ministries so I am involved in community service and the kids are a big part of our ministry, and they make up our band. My wife in a teacher going into her 23rd year, and that helps to put us in touch with the needy.

Great going, but don't give up on the push to make your lodge better. It doesn't have to be a public struggle, but struggle on nonetheless.

The OES chapter will ultimately suffer if the Lodge is weak, so keep that in mind.
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2015 at 7:03am

Hopefully my builds will motivate the lodge a little. I plan to present it at next stated meeting

Great work, I know some in your jurisdiction will appreciate it.

I understand you may be moving to a new location - PLEASE try to save the stone marker that you showed us some time ago.
----------------------

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic