Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - GL Requirement for Candidate Advancement by State
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GL Requirement for Candidate Advancement by State

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLewey44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GL Requirement for Candidate Advancement by State
    Posted: January/01/2015 at 7:00pm
I thought this was interesting. It has a breakdown for each state/GL (some states have more information provided than others) on the requirements to advance in the three degrees of Masonry. I'm not sure how accurate it is but seems like a good reference at the very least for those just coming into the craft or are moving to another state.

I know one brother from Arizona who had been a 3rd degree Mason for 20+ years and when he moved here to Oklahoma, he had to complete the Master Mason cat lecture despite being recognized in one state as fully raised.

http://bessel.org/advance.htm

Edited by CLewey44 - January/01/2015 at 11:33pm
Edmond Lodge #37
Washington Lodge #36
OES Chapter #247
Bro. J. Clint Lewey
(I): 02 September 2014
(P): 30 December 2014
(R): 17 March 2015
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2015 at 7:19pm
The information on Alabama is accurate. 
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2015 at 9:39pm
Missouri is accurate. We no longer require turning in a proficiency for each degree. 
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2015 at 7:22am
New Jersey is accurate but there is omitted information.

You must wait a minimum of 28 days between each degree and prove proficient in each  before advancing.

You must turn in your master mason exam regardless if you intend to take a chair or not.
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
Bellboy View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bellboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2015 at 1:15pm
Iowa is accurate.
Harding Lodge #649, PM
32, Valley of Des Moines
Benevolence Chapter
Mason City Council
Antioch Commandery
El Kahir Shrine-North Iowa Shrine Club
York Rite College #37 Ames, IA
HAPAC Grotto #71
Monarch
Troberts505 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troberts505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2015 at 3:15pm
New Mexico is accurate, However most lodges here still "request" that you become proficient in the EA, FC and MM ideally done in open lodge with both questions and answers. For some of the brothers that have worked for months and cant get the memorization down I have seen where the obligation is acceptable. WE have had several occasions where an EA was going to be deployed so the memorization was waived, however upon their return they should complete. You also have to do all 3 to be elected to any office.
Initiated 04/05/2013
Passed 05/15/2013
Raised 06/19/2013
Hiram Lodge #13
Mesa Lodge #68
Albuquerque, NM
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2015 at 3:32pm
Georgia is correct as stated ... However, the System of Masonic Education was not mentioned.  Since 1983 a Committee of 5 is required (by Code) to meet with each Candidate to give required instruction and lectures prior to each Degree. 
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2015 at 9:18am
 I think lodges need to determine their own proficiencies, not the GL's. The GL's may require minimum requirements, but it should be totally up to the lodge
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2015 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Caution1010 Caution1010 wrote:

I think lodges need to determine their own proficiencies, not the GL's. The GL's may require minimum requirements, but it should be totally up to the lodge.

That's a lovely sentiment my Brother, but it may just be wishful thinking on your part. I will also admit that I do not know anything about the way Prince Hall Grand Lodges are organized, but what you are proposing could never happen under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Missouri. 

Under their jurisdiction, individual lodges are referred to as subordinate lodges. The Grand Lodge bylaws very clearly state, "Subordinate Lodge Bylaws must be consistent with Grand Lodge By-Laws otherwise automatically amended to conform." Granted, most "rank and file" members are not familiar with their jurisdiction's bylaws, but I do believe that anyone who sits in the East (or is a year or two away) should have a copy. In Missouri, you can buy a copy for $11.00 (which includes a 3-ring binder!) or download a PDF version for free so there is no excuse not to have a copy. Actually I prefer the PDF version since it is searchable.

No, its not what most people would consider to be exciting reading, but as Secretary of my lodge, I always have the most current copy close at hand. (And I also have the Grand Secretary's phone number on speed dial!)

Edited by WBScott - January/03/2015 at 10:46am
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2015 at 11:44am
The Grand Lodge of Scotland refers to the lodges holding of it as its 'Daughter Lodges' - an interesting difference in terminology! 
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
CLewey44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLewey44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2015 at 11:57am

I think lodges need to determine their own proficiencies, not the GL's. The GL's may require minimum requirements, but it should be totally up to the lodge

I could buy that but then I guess the problem would be "Where does it end?" Then local lodges could make other changes and modifications that would be too far off base of what the GL requires; potentially. I like the first 2 degree requirements but since you are risen on the third, that should be it maybe. If you attend meetings, then you'll be familiar with the MM ob. anyways as well as the MM ceremony as a whole.

According to my father and the website,  reciting the MM cat. in Alabama is optional from what I understand and that is fair enough in my opinion.  It's tough learning a third one while hoping your wife is understanding of you going to 'memorize' something that she has no clue of while she sits at home with little ones after working all day. My wife's been great but I can see it getting to her sometimes, understandably so.

It was easier in the older times when women didn't work and most men didn't have 2 jobs whereas I work full time and in the AF Reserve (love to serve my country, but love the benes too for sure) and she works during the day. I wouldn't even mind a written test or multi-choice test as some states do. At least then I could study from home maybe for the most part.
Edmond Lodge #37
Washington Lodge #36
OES Chapter #247
Bro. J. Clint Lewey
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2015 at 1:52pm
I have to agree with CLewey about where would it end? The reverse would also be true- some lodges might not require enough proficiency; some, none at all.

I am all for as much discretion as practical to the local lodges, but in the case of proficiency, I fear that there would be too much inconsistency across the jurisdiction and we could be doing a lot of candidates a big disservice.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2015 at 1:58pm

Then may be you are looking at it wrong.    The GL sets MINIMUM requirements.  The Lodge could set additional or higher  requirements.

"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2015 at 9:00pm
Ed, if lodges were given discretion to set higher requirements, is there not a risk that some could get carried away, as CLewey pointed out, and some would raise the bar to the point that some requirements could be unreasonable, unnecessary, even absurd? 

Don't get me wrong, I have been recently been instructing in lodges of instruction and I firmly believe that our candidates should know more than they are getting but I think it should be uniform across the jurisdiction.

Edited by droche - January/03/2015 at 9:04pm
CLewey44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLewey44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2015 at 8:30am
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

Ed, if lodges were given discretion to set higher requirements, is there not a risk that some could get carried away, as CLewey pointed out, and some would raise the bar to the point that some requirements could be unreasonable, unnecessary, even absurd? 

Don't get me wrong, I have been recently been instructing in lodges of instruction and I firmly believe that our candidates should know more than they are getting but I think it should be uniform across the jurisdiction.

Great point, Bro. Roche, Masonry goes, as I figured out on my FC ceremony, much deeper than one could imagine. It's not just about memorizing something but to me, a nice little study guide and 25 question profeciency (written test or multi choice) would mean more on a learning level than just memorizing some questions. I understand it's important everyone is familiar with that, especially the obligation, but I get more from reading books and articles than the catechism. That's just me. Maybe an optional thing. Either memorize the lecture or take a 50 question test...either way. 

Here's a nice little example test of the EA lecture. Of course one should be profecient in the signs, words, tokens and PPE as well.  http://www.masonic-lodge-of-education.com/entered-apprentice-quiz.html

Edmond Lodge #37
Washington Lodge #36
OES Chapter #247
Bro. J. Clint Lewey
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2015 at 11:03am
What was your point writing this? What were you trying to achieve?

Originally posted by WBScott WBScott wrote:

I think lodges need to determine their own proficiencies, not the GL's. The GL's may require minimum requirements, but it should be totally up to the lodge.

That's a lovely sentiment my Brother, but it may just be wishful thinking on your part. I will also admit that I do not know anything about the way Prince Hall Grand Lodges are organized, but what you are proposing could never happen under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Missouri. 

Under their jurisdiction, individual lodges are referred to as subordinate lodges. The Grand Lodge bylaws very clearly state, "Subordinate Lodge Bylaws must be consistent with Grand Lodge By-Laws otherwise automatically amended to conform." Granted, most "rank and file" members are not familiar with their jurisdiction's bylaws, but I do believe that anyone who sits in the East (or is a year or two away) should have a copy. In Missouri, you can buy a copy for $11.00 (which includes a 3-ring binder!) or download a PDF version for free so there is no excuse not to have a copy. Actually I prefer the PDF version since it is searchable.

No, its not what most people would consider to be exciting reading, but as Secretary of my lodge, I always have the most current copy close at hand. (And I also have the Grand Secretary's phone number on speed dial!)

PHA-AL

Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2015 at 11:32am
What are the minimum requirements we expect all master masons to know?

PHA-AL

WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2015 at 11:33am

What was your point writing this? What were you trying to achieve?

My point was that even though you may think that each individual should be able to determine their own profciencies, you still operate under the bylaws of a Grand Lodge and they set the rules. You can't just run your lodge as you see fit.

The minimum requirements are set by each Grand Lodge. If come to visit your lodge, you have the right to examine me and determine if I am worthy to step foot in your lodge. 

Edited by WBScott - January/04/2015 at 11:36am
CLewey44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLewey44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2015 at 11:52am

Hello Bro. Caution, I think the obligation and signs, grips, words and perfect points for sure on all 3 degrees at least.  I think with regular attendance, as we all should do, you will naturally pick up on the individual degree ceremonies. If one is interested enough to sit in a chair, they will pick up on that as well. As for advancement, I wouldn't mind a test (written or verbal) to see how well you understand the inner workings of the lodge. Such as how many members must be present for certain events, describe how the working tools relate to your life etc. But the very least, obligation and signs, grips, words and PPEs in my opinion.
Edmond Lodge #37
Washington Lodge #36
OES Chapter #247
Bro. J. Clint Lewey
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2015 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by CLewey44 CLewey44 wrote:

Hello Bro. Caution, I think the obligation and signs, grips, words and perfect points for sure on all 3 degrees at least.  I think with regular attendance, as we all should do, you will naturally pick up on the individual degree ceremonies. If one is interested enough to sit in a chair, they will pick up on that as well. As for advancement, I wouldn't mind a test (written or verbal) to see how well you understand the inner workings of the lodge. Such as how many members must be present for certain events, describe how the working tools relate to your life etc. But the very least, obligation and signs, grips, words and PPEs in my opinion.

I agree with you, but none of these things can be tested in a written form.

They have to be done as they've always been done.

Remember, these are secrets and remember your EA obligation.

PHA-AL

CLewey44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLewey44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2015 at 12:48pm

This is true. I think I read somewhere some states do a written test of sorts. Certainly the written test would NOT include the obligation and signs, tokens, words and PPEs.  But maybe name the officers, where they are located in a lodge and their roles, lodge ettiquette maybe etc. Anything that wouldn't compromise your obligation.

Edited by CLewey44 - January/04/2015 at 12:48pm
Edmond Lodge #37
Washington Lodge #36
OES Chapter #247
Bro. J. Clint Lewey
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2015 at 5:39pm
I spent a couple of months in Fort Wayne IN. The GL of Indiana leaves it to the discretion of the lodge. When a new man takes the EA, he is assigned a coach. When the coach is satisfied that the EA has absorbed the material properly, then the EA can advance to the FC, and similarly for the MM.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2015 at 7:02am
Originally posted by CLewey44 CLewey44 wrote:

I thought this was interesting. It has a breakdown for each state/GL (some states have more information provided than others) on the requirements to advance in the three degrees of Masonry. I'm not sure how accurate it is but seems like a good reference at the very least for those just coming into the craft or are moving to another state.

I know one brother from Arizona who had been a 3rd degree Mason for 20+ years and when he moved here to Oklahoma, he had to complete the Master Mason cat lecture despite being recognized in one state as fully raised.

http://bessel.org/advance.htm

Thanks, that was interesting.
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2015 at 9:18pm
Florida is accurate. However, its up to the members of the lodge to decide if examination was suitable. I have only seen one brother not pass his proficency exam. Usually, the cat. coach makes sure they will pass before setting a date for examination.
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Jacksonville 12 R.A.M. - King
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic