Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is a lodge of research?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is a lodge of research?
    Posted: January/05/2015 at 11:53am
Please explain what exactly is a lodge of research, and what does it do ? 
Getting better everyday !!!!
Pride of Coolidge #282
MWPHGLOT
Brighter and Brighter!!!!
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2015 at 12:15pm
A lodge of research is one where the membership (or sometimes just the officers) open a lodge as usual and present papers. It is exclusively for scholarship and masonic enlightenment. Usually such lodges are open on a bi monthly or quarterly basis depending on the jurisdiction.

They are a good deal and usually you won't really find them especially in PHA jurisdictions. I think the only one I can think of is one that JUST opened up in OH.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2015 at 12:17pm
The alternative to this however are the Phylaxis chapters that are open through out the country. They perform almost as closely as a lodge of research, the only difference is they are not a lodge with an actual chapter, rituals etc. Also they are under the watchful eye of the grand lodge of the jurisdiction they are in, so there's kind of some bureaucracy going on there, but as long as the power structure is able to swing their stuff however they please without restriction in the jurisdiction, they don't really bother with the Phylaxis
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
Mike Martin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2015 at 4:08pm
You can have a look at the website of the Premier Lodge of Research, Quatuor Coronati Lodge No. 2076 here: http://www.quatuorcoronati.com/

If you want to become involved (and are a member of a Lodge under a Grand Lodge recognised by the UGLE) you could join its correspondence circle here: http://www.qccircle.org.uk/ 

edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2015 at 5:22pm
Ideally, as per the name, a Lodge of Research actively promotes Masonic research and writing of Masonic papers.   ... But more generally in many jurisdictions, a Lodge of Research promote Masonic education for its members by hosting Masonic Educators  for lectures.     

... Most (but not All GLs) forbid the Lodge of Research from making Masons. Other words accepting Candidates for degrees.    However, usually the Lodge of Research can form its own degree teams and present a Degree as a courtesy for other Lodges.    ... In my LOR this spring, i plan to form a degree team for the 'Past Master's Degree' to be presented at the District Conventions under the direction of the GM.

As long as it involves education i think you can do what you want in a Lodge of Research.

Edited by edwmax - January/05/2015 at 5:23pm
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2015 at 5:31pm
In my Lodge of Research, the officers are:

Master
   Sr. Deputy Master
   Jr. Deputy Master         : These 3 sit in the East like a Past Master's lodge

Jr. Warden in the South
  Sr. Warden in the West
& Tyler

We don't have enough to fill all the chair yet.

The opening & closing Ritual is not the same as a regular lodge.   ... I have never sat in a Lodge of Research, but had to write a set of bylaws and a Ritual for opening and closing.   

"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2015 at 9:47am
Check out this FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Confederate-Military-Lodge-of-Research/189032117781836

Edited by cemab4y - January/10/2015 at 6:09pm
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
DoctorAramis View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoctorAramis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2015 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Caution1010 Caution1010 wrote:

A lodge of research is one where the membership (or sometimes just the officers) open a lodge as usual and present papers. It is exclusively for scholarship and masonic enlightenment. Usually such lodges are open on a bi monthly or quarterly basis depending on the jurisdiction.

They are a good deal and usually you won't really find them especially in PHA jurisdictions. I think the only one I can think of is one that JUST opened up in OH.

Yes Caution1010 is right a lodge of research is styled along blue lodge lines but most of its work is related to masonic education and scholarship.

In Ohio, the lodge of research meets are different locations in the state NE NW SE and SW parts of the state and the idea is to present papers and raise awareness of masonic research efforts.
There are two categories of memberships one is individual(for Master Masons) and the other is institutional(for lodges). Within the individual membership there is an associate member and an active member. Any master mason whom the Grand Lodge of Ohio recognizes can become an associate member. To become an active you need to present at least one research paper and be cleared by a secret ballot among the current actives. Once you become an active you can hold office and join a progressive line just as in a regular blue lodge.

You can head over to the Ohio Lodge of Research's website for more details and take a look at it:
http://ohiolodgeofresearch.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic