Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - LEST WE FORGET
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LEST WE FORGET

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message
Adept? View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August/30/2013
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Points: 746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2015 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by NobleShabba NobleShabba wrote:

well said - is there a source for this?


I stumbled upon this tonight... It is printed word for word verbatim as he wrote it here; on one of the first few introductory pages of the Masonic bible that was presented to me after my raising.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Back to Top
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Avatar

Joined: November/06/2007
Location: Georgia, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 6966
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2015 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by YES YES wrote:

  ...
"The first three degrees of Masonry, those earned in Masonic Lodges, are actually York Rite degrees. About two hundred years ago, to avoid confusion and infighting, the Scottish Rite in the US agreed to accept those first three York Rite Degrees in place of their own, hence, men start the Scottish Rite in their Fourth Degree."




While the reference link used the words 'confusion and infighting' that is a little miss leading.     AASR gave up the first three degrees to avoid 'Exclusive Territorial Jurisdictional' (ETJ) disputes with the established Grand Lodges.    By doing this the AASR gained recognition of the different Grand Lodges and a ready made base of Master Masons ready advance into their degrees.    Otherwise the AASR would have been labeled as 'Clandestine' and would have had to recruit their own members.  So the 'confusion' would be from 2 different groups claiming to be Masons but refusing to recognize each other within the same jurisdictions..


Edited by edwmax - February/28/2015 at 7:45pm
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."





Thomasville 369
Back to Top
Cookslc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: June/21/2014
Location: East Millcreek
Status: Offline
Points: 57
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2015 at 5:47pm
Lest We Forget :"That is correct, however unless your Blue/Symbolic/Craft Lodge works in the Scottish Rite such as some Lodges in Louisiana, the degrees you received are York Rite."

or, I would add, the Rectified Rite, or the Swedish Rite.
G A Cook
F&AM of Utah
AF&AM of Oklahoma
UGLE
Back to Top
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: January/08/2015
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline
Points: 86
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2015 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Cookslc Cookslc wrote:

Lest We Forget :"That is correct, however unless your Blue/Symbolic/Craft Lodge works in the Scottish Rite such as some Lodges in Louisiana, the degrees you received are York Rite."

or, I would add, the Rectified Rite, or the Swedish Rite.

My comment was confined to Freemasonry in the United States.  I do not think there are any Blue Lodges in the U S that work in the Rectified Rite or the Swedish Rite, but if there are I would be interested in knowing where.
Back to Top
Cookslc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: June/21/2014
Location: East Millcreek
Status: Offline
Points: 57
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2015 at 1:14pm
No, no Swedish or Rectified in the US
G A Cook
F&AM of Utah
AF&AM of Oklahoma
UGLE
Back to Top
Adept? View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August/30/2013
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Points: 746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2015 at 8:49am
Originally posted by YES YES wrote:


Further, part of the Master
Mason degree is distinctly Christian.


Originally posted by adept? adept? wrote:

I would love to know more about the part of the Master Mason degree that you say is "distinctly Christian"


(Bump) Been a little while...didn't know if you maybe forgot about this, or didn't see it. Please feel free to private message me, or start a new thread in the tyled forum if necessary.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Back to Top
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: January/08/2015
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline
Points: 86
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2015 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

Originally posted by YES YES wrote:


Further, part of the Master
Mason degree is distinctly Christian.


Originally posted by adept? adept? wrote:

I would love to know more about the part of the Master Mason degree that you say is "distinctly Christian"


(Bump) Been a little while...didn't know if you maybe forgot about this, or didn't see it. Please feel free to private message me, or start a new thread in the tyled forum if necessary.

Not to offend you, but I do not discuss specifics of what my Grand Lodge considers to be esoteric unless it is in a tiled lodge or with someone I personally know to be a member of a regular lodge.  
Back to Top
Adept? View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August/30/2013
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Points: 746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2015 at 11:56am
Very well, so mote it be.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.094 seconds.