Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rituals, dress, and masonry in general.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rituals, dress, and masonry in general.
    Posted: February/14/2015 at 11:37am
Masonry has changed in many ways over the years, as far as rituals, dress codes, and the way things are conducted. We like to visit as many lodges as we can to help out where we can.mostly the lodges we visit are very relaxed , as in dress codes, and the rituals are to say, let's just get threw this as fast as we can. Are there any lodges out there where you still dress up (suits, tuxes, ) and make to the rituals come to life. So to speak.
brother bell
Troberts505 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troberts505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 12:18pm
I Think that there are a lot of lodges that still wear tuxes, we don't require a tux, but we do ask that everyone come in a suit and tie. That being said no one will ever blink twice if you come to lodge directly from work and are still in those cloths. The JW, SW, SD and both stewards, that's me, have recently been coming to lodge in tux jackets and kilts!
Initiated 04/05/2013
Passed 05/15/2013
Raised 06/19/2013
Hiram Lodge #13
Mesa Lodge #68
Albuquerque, NM
ARFF158 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARFF158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 12:52pm
On degree nights or any other formal nights,the Lodge Officers wear tuxes. Otherwise suit and tie or jacket and tie and of course an occasional kilt. Also as stated,brothers coming from work are fine wearing any attire,as we would rather have the brother attend than not.
Jim D
Senior Steward
Hartford-Evergreen Lodge No.88
EA:3/10/12
FC:3/31/12
MM:11/19/12
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 6:16pm
T.O. Lodges require officers to wear tuxes and all other members to wear suit an tie. A number of lodges in my city require some sort of dress code. My lodge....not so much. But we do have this "unique" tradition of wearing overalls, or bibs as we call them. Myself and the SW have thus far abstained from purchasing and/or wearing them.   
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Jacksonville 12 R.A.M. - King
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 6:27pm
BigBob:

I just attended a lodge here in Tallahassee recently and saw a brother in overalls. Most wear jeans and polos. I was one of the only few in a suit, but that's because my work attire is a suit and tie so it's easy to come from work and be wearing a suit and tie :)
Gainesville Lodge #41
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Hyksos Hyksos wrote:

BigBob:

I just attended a lodge here in Tallahassee recently and saw a brother in overalls. Most wear jeans and polos. I was one of the only few in a suit, but that's because my work attire is a suit and tie so it's easy to come from work and be wearing a suit and tie :)

When we have DDGM visist he and his committee men will sometimes come in overalls and suit coats. Due to our little tradition we've become quite famous (or infamousTongue) in the 11th and 12th district.

We are a beach lodge so we are pretty laid back in terms of dress code. I would rather show up in a suit and tie every meeting that in overalls. Usually I wear my lodge shirt (polo) and a pair of slacks.
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 8:09pm
for the most part we wear suits. some wear tuxedos, some wear jeans and a polo shirt with a sport coat. frankly we would rather you come as you are... than not come at all.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 9:01pm
In my lodge, all the floor officers wear tuxes and all members come wearing a coat and tie or business suit. Do I understand you correctly that you do the ritual work as fast as you can just to get through it? If that is so, it is cheating the candidate out of what should be a solemn ceremony and an experience that he should never forget. Whenever I confer a degree, I always strive to make the ritual come to life for the candidate and all the current floor officers in my lodge strive to do the same.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by log cabin Bill log cabin Bill wrote:

In my lodge, all the floor officers wear tuxes and all members come wearing a coat and tie or business suit. Do I understand you correctly that you do the ritual work as fast as you can just to get through it? If that is so, it is cheating the candidate out of what should be a solemn ceremony and an experience that he should never forget. Whenever I confer a degree, I always strive to make the ritual come to life for the candidate and all the current floor officers in my lodge strive to do the same.

I think he meant they do the stated communications as fast as possible. Admittedly, I have seen this and even wanted that myself. Sometimes you just don't want to sit in the lodge room until 10:30/11pm.
Gainesville Lodge #41
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 9:13pm
I would really like to see the 3rd degree done in full costumes .I've heard from a few brothers whom have been in masonry 40- 50 years.say at one time they would dress for the parts, to create the realism of the ritual. I think the candidate and everyone else would really enjoy it.
brother bell
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2015 at 8:09am
Originally posted by boing1972 boing1972 wrote:

I would really like to see the 3rd degree done in full costumes .I've heard from a few brothers whom have been in masonry 40- 50 years.say at one time they would dress for the parts, to create the realism of the ritual. I think the candidate and everyone else would really enjoy it.
If you do a little digging you should be able to find some degree that do this. It may require some traveling on your part but if you get a chance you should try and attend an outdoor degree where the brother are in period dress. For example near me we have the Ft. Clinch Outdoor Degree. All the brothers wear Civil War era costumes. I know of others that dress in colonial era. well worth IMO.
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle-751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by boing1972 boing1972 wrote:

Here in Ohio the 3rd degree is in full costumes. We all have robes with all the implements ( swords, spears, crown for the King... ) Once a year we have a special deal, we do the full 3rd degree under black lights. It's call the John Pattison's Crucible Steel Black Light Night and it starts @ 6:00PM here in East Liverpool. Both Lodges in the same Temple work together to do this. We draw a large crowd from all over. Hope to see you there. Come early, bring your current dues card, everyone gets checked!
Past Master ( 2014 - 2015 )
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2015 at 4:16pm
Speaking of being raised, just realized I was raised 4 years ago today.Party
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle-751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2015 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by BigBob BigBob wrote:

Speaking of being raised, just realized I was raised 4 years ago today.Party

Congratulations Brother. This April it will be 6 years for me. ( I was a Crucible Steel Candidate myself ) Travel Safe.
Past Master ( 2014 - 2015 )
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2015 at 3:17pm
Lodges under both Constitutions here require Officers ( "Office-bearers" in Scottish lodges) to wear tuxes - some of the older ones specify white tie and tails. That said, if an officer shows up in a business suit, or blazer and flannels, nothing is said. benchers are required to wear 'business suites' but again, blazers or even sports jackets are acceptable. A tie, however, is obligatory.

Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2015 at 9:46am
I attended Stability/Concorde lodge number 19/42 in Paris France. Dress code was either tuxedo or dark suit. And there is a lodge in Louisville KY, Sunset lodge, that mandates that members wear evening clothes (tux).

Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2015 at 11:51am
We have a suit ant tie dress code. Officers are in tuxes on degree nights.

PHA has everyone in tuxes in NJ for regular communications iirc.
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
Merv S View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merv S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2015 at 7:01pm
My Craft Lodge is a 'daylight' one. Sometimes also known as a lunch lodge The all year round dress code is:
  1. White Eton ( Mess) jacket.
  2. White dress shirt, pleated of otherwise
  3. Black bow tie Black- cummerbund (optional)
  4. Black trousers, shoes and socks.
When visiting night Lodges wearing a dark coloured suit , not necessarily a Tux or dress suite is acceptable.
'Tails' are reserved for GL officers.

This does not apply to practice meetings.

Sorry Guys, jeans , beads and Roman sandals are out!

Some Australian Lodges under the UGLE do wear neck ties , rather the the bow variety.

In view of my military background , the formality doesn't bother me, but some less enthusiastic Brothers look like a bag of spuds [ potatoes] tied up with string no matter what the dress code dictatesBig smile
S&F
Merv

Edited by Merv S - February/20/2015 at 7:02pm
Merv Sprague MM
Thespian Lodge 268 UGLQ
RAC No 43 SGRACQ
Celer et Audax
I. 10/3/2008
P. 14/7/2008
R. 11/8/2008
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2015 at 6:50pm
you may always find a correlation between the change in society and in the craft. it adapts
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2015 at 10:51am
Our lodge is sort of out in the country. We don't have a formal dress code, but we prefer to see the members wear a collared shirt (i.e. no T-shirts). We also realize that some members come from work so at the end of the day, we are grateful they show up at all! 

We had a banquet a couple of months ago (before it got really cold) and invited the Grand Master. We put in a reminder that wearing shorts was not acceptable dress!
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic