Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How much has changed in your lodge over the years
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much has changed in your lodge over the years

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much has changed in your lodge over the years
    Posted: March/08/2015 at 1:29pm
What changes have been made in any sense in your lodge over the years that you like or dislike? And why ?
brother bell
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2015 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by boing1972 boing1972 wrote:

What changes have been made in any sense in your lodge over the years that you like or dislike? And why ?

Well, not in my lodge, but based on the posts to this forum by people who have not been members long enough or given themselves time enough to know anything about the workings of their lodge and Grand Lodge, it seems that new members now are obsessed with changing things.  That was not the case when I joined some 43 years ago.  
aogop View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aogop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2015 at 2:06pm
Bro YES- I would very much like to hear an example or two of the changes you mention.  I say this, because I have noticed a trend of strife between older and younger brothers throughout our jurisdiction, essentially due to lack of proper mentoring.  In my personal opinion, the generation gap we have in our fraternity left us with older members who have been in positions of authority for many years, and feel threatened they will be cast aside or ignored once their responsibilities are passed down.  Add to that, younger members who wish to take more active roles and responsibilities and feel marginalized.

Anyways, to answer the OP; some of the changes I have seen in my lodge, as well as my Grand Lodge over the last 20 years (I was raised in 1993) are the recognition of Prince Hall, the use of electronic means for communication and instruction and the alteration of means of proficiency. 

Edited by aogop - March/12/2015 at 2:07pm
JerryP.

PM- Shoreline Lodge#248 F&AM

Shoreline, WA.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2015 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by YES YES wrote:

That was not the case when I joined some 43 years ago.

I would imagine a great many things have changed over the last 43 years; within Masonry, but more especially without. the only constant in this life and in this world is change.

as far as the changes I've seen just in the last 10 years... I've seen the introduction of lodge websites and Grand Lodge websites, the ability to pay dues online, lodge Facebook pages, other than that masonry (at least from my perspective) is largely the same as it was then. regardless of the changes that take place in society and in how we do business as freemasons the business of Freemasonry remains the same... friendship morality Brotherly Love relief and truth. the means may change but the end remains the same.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2015 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by aogop aogop wrote:

Bro YES- I would very much like to hear an example or two of the changes you mention.  

BUMP.  I was curious about this too.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2015 at 6:19pm
One change I have seen in my home lodge (Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green KY, Grand Lodge of Kentucky F&AM) is that the membership numbers have declined dramatically.

I joined in 1982, 33 years ago. I have kept my membership there, even though my career has required frequent relocations. I have joined two other lodges Glebe #181, Arlington VA (closed) and Master Builder Lodge #911, Tonawanda New York (closed). And I have visited lodges in 14 states, WashDC, and five foreign countries.

When I was made a Mason in 1982, my lodge had over 600 members. Now it has less than 200. There are barely enough men to open the business meetings.

This is a change that is being replicated, nationwide. SAD!
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2015 at 5:54pm
Membership in my lodge has held at about 50 over the 26 years I have been a member. However, the membership has certainly aged and the number actually attending a meeting is now much lower than before.
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic