Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What induced YOU to join?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What induced YOU to join?
    Posted: March/16/2015 at 9:58pm
I was working pier security for the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) back in 2006.  Part of the duty included checking military and civilian contractor ID cards to gain access to the pier and the ship.  I kept seeing this same ring over and over when they would hold up their ID for my inspection.  I had seen the emblem before (mostly on people's vehicles, but on building and road signs also) but i really didn't know anything about it.  So, later in the evening when a gentleman was coming back to the ship for the night, I decided to ask him what that ring and that symbol where, and why I saw so many people wearing it.  That question turned into a 45 minute conversation with this brother.  He left me with instructions to go see another brother that i knew from the ship.  That brother talked with me for a bit, and gave me some reading material. (masonic magazines and news letters, nothing "secret")  and again.. he sent me to see yet another brother.  (I thought they were giving me the run around, but what they were doing was testing my interest level)  A day or two later I was given a petition to fill out and return, which I did.  Some time past... few weeks, then a couple months.  Then one day I was walking through the hanger deck of the ship and another brother approached me whom I'd not met before, asked me if I still wanted to be a mason, to which I replied yes.  He handed me a piece of paper with an address, date, and time.  He said, and I quote "Be there, that day, that time, and don't be late."  The rest is history...  

So... what induced YOU to join?
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2015 at 10:25am
I joined for one simple reason: Men that I knew and respected, were Masons. We often forget, that we are our own best representatives!
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2015 at 5:25pm
I had an older neighbour who I often visited. He had little formal education but was very knowledgeable on current affairs and the like. He was a Past Master of the local Lodge and had several masonic certificates framed and hanging on his wall. Over the several years that I was visiting him he would occasionally mention some masonic social event that he and his wife had attended but would never mention anything more about the fraternity unless I asked about something. After some years I discovered that a couple of colleagues that I respected were also freemasons and after some research decided it was the sort of organisation I wanted to belong to. One night I asked my neighbour how you went about joining. H jumped to his feet and took a piece of paper from a table near his chair. It was an Application Form that he had kept there for four or five years waiting for me to say I wished to join! He was my sponsor but unfortunately passed to TGLO about 18 months after I was initiated. Last year I received my 25 year pin from my lodge - I am a Past Master of it and another lodge, a Past District Grand Secretary, an Honorary Assistant Grand Secretary and presently Secretary of my lodge. As to WHY I joined - it was the example shown by the freemasons I knew that attracted me - the 'tongue of good report' they gave the Craft. Joining is a decision I have never regretted.

Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2015 at 8:08pm
Curiosity
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2015 at 8:11pm
lol! short and sweet
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Troberts505 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troberts505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2015 at 2:05pm
All the men on my mothers side of the family were Masons, I had always been curious. When my grandfather passed away he had a full Masonic funeral and the brothers did a great job. All of them came to my parents house that night for a family dinner where they answered my questions. I filled a petition along with my brother (sibling) and our uncles acted as our sponsors. Great ritual, Great men made it something worth joining to me!
Initiated 04/05/2013
Passed 05/15/2013
Raised 06/19/2013
Hiram Lodge #13
Mesa Lodge #68
Albuquerque, NM
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2015 at 5:57am
Bump
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 5:03pm
Prior November 2011 I was a passive anti-mason.  Then Nov. 28, 2011 my grandfather was buried.  On that day about 25% of the church was filled with masons.  My father and other grandfather are masons.  After looking around the room and remembering the men I knew as a child what I thought I knew about masonry and what I knew of these men didn't match.  I spent from then until January 2012 reading about masonry and getting involved in some masonic discussion boards.  I petitioned my lodge in January 2012 and was initialed that month.

So to sum it up death of a good man caused me to join.
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2015 at 7:13pm
Masonic funerals seems to be unfortunately (or rather fortunately in some sense) the #1 place I hear petitioners have their first encounter with freemasonry and decide to join based off what they saw.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
aogop View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aogop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2015 at 1:32am
I joined when I was 22, right after reaching my seniority with DeMolay. I probably would not have had any exposure to masonry otherwise.
JerryP.

PM- Shoreline Lodge#248 F&AM

Shoreline, WA.
Bigmike134 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmike134 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2015 at 6:23pm
While going to my church, I noticed a few men wore Masonic rings. These men I respect, greatly. I approached one of them and asked about his ring, we sat and chatted for a bit about the Freemasons, and I was curious to say the least. Before we parted ways for the week I asked him "So, how does one become a Mason?' To which he replied "You just started."
In truth, let me live
Initiated 05/28/14
Passed 11/12/14
Raised 12/10/14
CLewey44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLewey44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2015 at 9:24pm
I would say a couple of reasons. My father, both grandfathers and a couple of uncles were all Masons. It struck me as odd that I didn't find this out until I was 18 years old but yet they had all been members my entire life. I didn't care to join really until later. I wasn't financially, mentally or mature/wise enough to join at 21 either. So I waited until I was 33 to join. I knew, as all of you did, when you wanted to join. I'm a good guy that wanted to get better.

Another reason honestly is curiosity. You hear all the rumors and what-not so I wanted to know what it was all about. And what I've learned so far has been great.

And finally, I like being apart of something. Something bigger than me. I'm in the Air Force, I'm a Freemason, I'm a husband and dad too and I like being apart of all of those things. I want to help my brothers, my airmen and of course my family. I like being needed and knowing I have someone that has my back as well. I want to expand now into even bigger things like Scottish Rite, York Rite and the National Sojourners and even beyond maybe.
Edmond Lodge #37
Washington Lodge #36
OES Chapter #247
Bro. J. Clint Lewey
(I): 02 September 2014
(P): 30 December 2014
(R): 17 March 2015
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2015 at 6:12am
like!

oh, by the way - spend some time thinking on the first, second and third before looking at the rest, and work within the lodge to get those pieces burned in before you look elsewhere... trust me on this one, it will benefit you in the long run
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
CJH70 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJH70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2015 at 3:48pm
I moved around a lot, in my life. My wife and I decided to pick a place and put down roots, and I wanted something that would help me put those roots down. So, I looked into the local F&AM lodge. Met a couple of the guys, and found out more about it from them. They seemed like, and later confirmed, great guys. It was funny to learn that IF we move again, there will be a lodge nearby. The roots are now spread very far and wide. 

The slogan "we make good men better" also intrigued me. I already thought I was a good man, and generally I was, but I had no clue. I am still in the process of digging in and learning everything I can about the craft, and it has really made a big difference in my life. I am still working on it though. 

Anyway, it was one of the best decisions I ever made, and I only wish I had done it earlier in my life. 
Good, better, best, never let it rest, until your good is better, and your better is best.
- Tim Duncan

Initiated - 7/16/2014
Passed - 9/19/2014
Raised - 10/17/2014
CLewey44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLewey44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2015 at 10:48am
Absolutely. I have a meeting tonight and wanted to get with whoever is in charge of helping the older widows with yard work etc. as well as mowing the lodge lawn maybe some. I know our secretary would appreciate that as well as the widows. We cannot ever forget our obligation to help our brother's families and I am looking forward to that!
Edmond Lodge #37
Washington Lodge #36
OES Chapter #247
Bro. J. Clint Lewey
(I): 02 September 2014
(P): 30 December 2014
(R): 17 March 2015
scout View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2015 at 9:45am
My father and his close friends were masons.  I admired them all and decided that I would follow in their footsteps.
imzj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imzj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2015 at 7:19pm
My search of more light and to know and learn the deep secrets of the universe.
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2015 at 12:06pm
A friend told me I would make a good Mason. I was curious from the Dan Brown books, National Treasure, etc. 

A couple of months after I was Raised, the man I respect most in the lodge and I were having a beer together after a meeting. He said, "So, you've been a Mason for a little while now. What do you think?"

I thought about it for a few seconds and answered, "It's the second best decision I ever made." 

He looked a bit confused and said, "Second best?"

I pointed at my wedding ring. He said, "Good answer."

Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic