Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

religious brethren have the say.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: religious brethren have the say.
    Posted: March/26/2015 at 11:06pm
I agree, we are all adults,and everything in moderation. But since being raised almost 6 months ago, I attend all of our stated meetings and whatever. But I have found that our religious brethren have the say.i thought the church stopped at the door ? I think if you can't keep freemasonry and your church separate. Then you should decide which    is more important for you to attend.
brother bell
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2015 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by boing1972 boing1972 wrote:

I agree, we are all adults,and everything in moderation.

I am not familiar with chapter and verse of the Bylaws of the Grand Lodge of Illinois, but unless something has changed in the last few years, having alcohol in a lodge would be in violation of those Bylaws, not because some of the "religious" brethren of your lodge don't want it.

With all due respect, as someone who has very little Masonic experience under their belt, I advise you to be very cautious when making assumptions or accusations. Until you have been a Mason for a while and have even possibly been Master of your lodge, it might behoove you to respect the opinions of your elder members and understand their point of view. Until you understand how a lodge works and why the established rules and customs exist, then maybe you can pass judgement on them. 

But I have found that our religious brethren have the say.i thought the church stopped at the door? I think if you can't keep freemasonry and your church separate. Then you should decide which is more important for you to attend.

As far as leaving your church at the door, I agree that views of specific religions should not be discussed in a tiled lodge, but the single most important qualification of being a Mason is an unfeigned belief in the one living and true God. So yes, leave your church at the door but never leave your faith and trust in God at the door. Without it, Masonry is nothing.

Maybe these brethren "have the say" in what goes on in your lodge because they are older and have a greater depth of Masonic experience and perhaps they are Past Masters of the lodge or have even served at the District level. 

What exactly are the "religious brethren" of your lodge saying or doing that you do not agree with?

Edited by WBScott - March/28/2015 at 12:44am
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2015 at 3:06pm
I agree, it's fine to believe in any god you want . These brethren are not past masters.and it has nothing to do with their masonic experience. These are people whom are over active at their church. Religion is a choice that people make.so is masonry.

Edited by boing1972 - March/30/2015 at 11:40pm
brother bell
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 10:26am
Brother Bell, my advice to you (and it is worth exactly what it cost you - $0.00) is to look into joining another lodge in your area if Centralia Lodge #201 is "too Christian" for you. The problem, if you want to call it that, with Freemasonry is that there is no way to experience what actually goes on in a lodge until after you become a member and then after you join, it may not turn out to be what you expected. 

However, now that you are a Master Mason you can visit any lodge you like without being a member. There are 6 other lodges that are less than 20 miles from Dix; Mt. Vernon Lodge #31, Marion Lodge #130 in Salem, Odin Lodge #503, Sandoval Lodge #932, John D. Moody Lodge #510 in Luka and Jefferson Lodge #368 in Opdyke. 

You can go here to get the contact information and location of each of these lodges: http://www.ilmason.org/Site/GrandLodgeIllinois/Information/LodgeLocator.aspx. Just put in your Zip Code and the distance desired. They don't all show a phone number, but by clicking on the map link, it will show you their address, meeting times, etc. 

If there isn't anyone who can vouch for you in one of those lodges, gaining admission is usually just a matter of showing your dues card and perhaps undergoing some sort of simple examination. I have been to several lodges in Illinois and its not even in my jurisdiction so how hard can it be?

If you find a lodge that is more to your liking than your present lodge, switching affiliation is usually not that big of a deal. I am not even a member of the lodge in which I received my degrees. I don't know the exact procedure in Illinois for changing your affiliation from one lodge to another, but the secretary of the lodge should be able to provide you with the form and tell you what needs to happen.

Good luck!

Edited by WBScott - March/29/2015 at 2:22pm
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 3:38pm
In my experience, I have learned that there are some of us who are pharisees and sadducees. We are overbearing with our beliefs and want to lunge them down the throat of everyone in our vicinity who have ears.

I don't care for people like that at all.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2015 at 4:40pm
I agree with Bro. Scott, most likely the easiest thing for you to do would be to seek out another lodge. OR rather than take the path of least resistance, you could politely remind the brothers that you are referring to that the lodge is not their church, nor is it in any way an extension of it, and that their church group rules need not apply, or even be the least considered for that matter. If that has no effect...then yea...find another lodge more suited to your beliefs.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Merv S View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merv S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2015 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Caution1010 Caution1010 wrote:

In my experience, I have learned that there are some of us who are pharisees and sadducees. We are overbearing with our beliefs and want to lunge them down the throat of everyone in our vicinity who have ears.

I don't care for people like that at all.

Spot on, Brother! Nor do I. The beauty of Freemasonry is that it is open to all that profess a  mono theist belief, that is all and embraces many religions. It is the centralized  acceptant of the GOATU that matters, not where you happen to hand your hat each Friday, Saturday or Sunday!!!
S&F
Merv
Merv Sprague MM
Thespian Lodge 268 UGLQ
RAC No 43 SGRACQ
Celer et Audax
I. 10/3/2008
P. 14/7/2008
R. 11/8/2008
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2015 at 10:39am
This thread was created by me and the first four posts were moved here from the cigar hour poll/thread because the topic of discussion had shifted from alcohol in the lodge to a majority control of the lodge being held by brothers of a specific religion.

These are people whom are over active at their church. Religion is a choice that people make.so is masonry. If anything is brought up that they don't agree with. It comes back to the church and good Christian's dont.we had brought up a masonic picnic. Bring your families, someone brought up bringing alcohol. Well they don't allow something like that at their church outing's. When it comes to donate to a charity. Someone has a charity threw their church that needs the money....so when you bring up something in lodge that needs voted on, 9 out of 10 times they will shoot it down.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2015 at 2:48pm
If you like go ahead and move my post to the cigar thread. One of the things I was trying to get at is that not all points of view regarding Masonic policies are necessarily related to religion.

Thank you Brother, your post has been moved.

Edited by Adept? - March/30/2015 at 3:14pm
Cookslc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 10:49pm
Over active in their church? I'm not sure you meant that in the manner in which I read it.

I'm not sure what you mean by leaving the church at the door. I certainly do not leave my faith at the door of the lodge.

I quite understand the issue of having alcohol at a family picnic.

"When it comes to donate to a charity. Someone has a charity threw their church that needs the money....so when you bring up something in lodge that needs voted on, 9 out of 10 times they will shoot it down." I'm not really clear what that means. Are they donating to a church charity?

You indicate matters are voted down. Sounds like the majority of the lodge agrees.
G A Cook
F&AM of Utah
AF&AM of Oklahoma
UGLE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic