Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post your favorite quotes!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post your favorite quotes!
    Posted: April/21/2015 at 2:38pm
Hello Brothers and others! Quotes are fun. Who doesn't love a good quote? Share your favorite quotes here! (Masonic, or otherwise)
Here are a few to get started.

* "To many men there is nothing of value or interest in philosophical speculation; as to many men there is no melody in music. These are natural incapacities that diminish the value neither of music nor philosophy."

* "To obtain a degree,or any number of them, amounts to little if, when the lessons are half learned, all interest in the order ceases."

* "The vast proportion of what is called 'knowledge' makes men no wiser. A single moral lesson put in practice, a single philosophical or spiritual truth learned and appreciated, adds more to a mans true wisdom than all that the sciences have to teach him."

* "The doctrines of Freemasonry are on the lips of many; but in the hearts of few."

* "Persuasion succeeds better than force... as far as we can wisely go, we must go, encouraging the apathetic to a better performance."

* "Those who are truly fit to lead are seldom popular. They repel rather than attract. The pretentious demagogue replaces them. Among the enemies of human freedom, none are more dangerous. They are the ruin of republics, and yet no republic is without them, or fails to trust and honor them."

There are a few to get us started. I believe those are all Albert Pike, but I'm not certain. I wrote them down at the time when I first read them. Rather than search through the book and try to find them again to confirm the author, I'll just say that they all came out of the Scottish Rite ritual monitor and guide. I Hope you like them, and I look forward to reading all of yours.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
CLewey44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLewey44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2015 at 8:51pm
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-Albert Einstein

"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird."-Pat Riley

They aren't deep meaningful quotes but they are my favorite...and I'm a big Bird fan!
Edmond Lodge #37
Washington Lodge #36
OES Chapter #247
Bro. J. Clint Lewey
(I): 02 September 2014
(P): 30 December 2014
(R): 17 March 2015
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2015 at 10:10pm
"Genius is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail"
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
NewToLight84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2015 at 10:12pm
Be careful how you act, you may be the only Mason anyone will ever meet!!
"Be careful how you live. You may be the only Mason some people will ever meet." -unknown
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2015 at 7:38am
Originally posted by NewToLight84 NewToLight84 wrote:

Be careful how you act, you may be the only Mason anyone will ever meet!!

I really like this one, and I was going to post it myself, but I knew someone had it in their signature on here because that is where I read it.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2015 at 2:56pm
"History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure."
- Brother Justice Thurgood Marshall, 33
MWPHGL of Maryland
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
CJH70 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJH70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2015 at 2:14pm

Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best.

- Tim Duncan
Good, better, best, never let it rest, until your good is better, and your better is best.
- Tim Duncan

Initiated - 7/16/2014
Passed - 9/19/2014
Raised - 10/17/2014
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2015 at 10:00pm

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves."   The infamous ~Bill Hicks~

cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2015 at 10:38am

" It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless and irate minority, eager to light brush fires in people's minds" - Sam Adams    

Edited by Adept? - April/29/2015 at 1:26pm
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2015 at 10:41am
"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

Mark Twain aka Br Samuel Langhorn Clemens, Polar Star Lodge #79 St. Louis, MO (Now Polar Star Rose Hill Lodge #79)
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2015 at 3:18pm
When I die I want to die like my grandfather who dies peacefully in his sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
-Will Rogers

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership.
-Colin Powell

MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2015 at 7:49am
"The reason we have a plan is so that we have something we can deviate from"
Gen. Norman Schwatzkopf
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle-751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2015 at 8:47am
Greetings Brethren; I have Two quotes that I like.

1.) “ My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride. ”
2.) " There are three types of people in this world today, Those who can count and those who cannot. "

Not sure where ether came from or who first said them.
Past Master ( 2014 - 2015 )
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2015 at 4:20pm
My signature. The brother said it to a few of us when this fellowcraft introduced himself. The look on the fellowcraft's face was priceless. LOL
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 6:09am
"Know then thyself, presume not God to scan

The proper study of Mankind is man." -Alexander Pope, 1734 (Freemason)

"My dear Watson, remember my homily,
When you remove the impossible,
Whatever is leftover
No matter how improbable
Must be the Truth!".     --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Freemasons)
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 10:32am

One of my all-time favorites, and particularly applicable to the holiday coming up…

Attributed to the late “Bear” Bryant, head coach of the University of Alabama football team for 25 years…

“Call your Momma. I sure wish I could call mine”

Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, FL
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 6:25pm
Or this Yiddish classic....

"Man plans, God laughs"
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 9:18pm
Which recalls another of my favorites, from Gen Schwarzkopf at a news briefing during Desert Storm:

Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
Anubicdarque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anubicdarque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2015 at 12:53am
my favorite has to be 

You have enemies?  Good.  That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

Edited by Anubicdarque - May/09/2015 at 12:55am
Elizabeth Lodge #200, AFAM South Australia and the Northern Territory.
St George Lodge, #33, FAM Utah
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2015 at 3:26am
Originally posted by rchadwic rchadwic wrote:

Gen. Norman Schwatzkopf

You already said that Brother Bob.   
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2015 at 8:14am
Hmmmm.... Must be the Lipitor.
Thanks, Bro. Adept....
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2015 at 6:35pm
"As human beings, most of our tongues tend to work faster than our brains. Our emotions overpower our rational thoughts. As Freemasons we must always endeavor not to speak or act on emotion alone, but to let calm, and rational thought prevail."

I believe this is a tough one for everyone... but I like it.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2015 at 6:45pm
"There is no arrogance so great as the proclaiming of others errors and faults."

**once again, Worshipful Past Sovereign Grand Commander: Albert Pike 33°

Edited by Adept? - May/14/2015 at 10:32am
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2015 at 8:10pm
"We can guide our Brothers toward the light... but we can not make them see it." ~Bro. Robert N. Littlefield 32°~ <-- that's me.
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2015 at 9:08am
I've had a perfecly wonderful evening, but  I'm afraid this wasn't it.      Groucho Marx
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2015 at 1:49pm
It is humanity that creates God; and men think that God has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs.

I like this one so much I made it my new signature.

Edited by Adept? - August/07/2015 at 1:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic