Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cuba

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cuba
    Posted: May/11/2015 at 3:03am
In the light of the current political developments, what is the possibility of Grand Lodges in the U.S extending a hand of friendship to their native Cuban brethren?
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Caution1010 Caution1010 wrote:

In the light of the current political developments, what is the possibility of Grand Lodges in the U.S extending a hand of friendship to their native Cuban brethren?

I don't know what politics has to do with it, 46 of 51 US Grand Lodges already recognize the Grand of Cuba (Gran Logia de Cuba).

Edited by YES - May/11/2015 at 6:59am
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 9:31am
There are a few more than 51 GL's in the USA.
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 2:50pm
According to the U.G.L.E. website, there are 82 recognized subordinate Grand lodges in the U.S.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Caution1010 Caution1010 wrote:

In the light of the current political developments

Please forgive my ignorance, but what developments?
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 3:08pm
Quote Please forgive my ignorance, but what developments?

The current administration has begun talks with the Cuban government for the purpose of eventually normalizing relations. Some travel and trade restrictions have already been eased as well as the amount of money that can be sent to Cuba. Eventually the goal is lifting all restrictions and having full diplomatic relations.

Edited by droche - May/11/2015 at 3:09pm
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 3:16pm
Might find this interesting:

According to this, Freemasonry is flourishing in Cuba. It would seem to me that for any US Masons to have meaningful relations with Cuban Masons it would not be a matter of US Grand Lodges to reach out to them, it would be a matter of lifting full travel restrictions.
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2015 at 10:07pm
I thought the GL of Cuba was in exile? Or am I mistaking this for another GL?
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Jacksonville 12 R.A.M. - King
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2015 at 8:20am
Originally posted by BigBob BigBob wrote:

I thought the GL of Cuba was in exile? Or am I mistaking this for another GL?

There was and may still be  but apparently there was an effort for unification.  I do not know if it was completed.

WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2015 at 3:14pm
I am still waiting for the official word from our Grand Secretary as far as if the Grand Lodge of Missouri recognizes the Grand Lodge of Cuba, but my wife and I are planning a trip to Cuba in November. Why not? We don't have any family there or any specific purpose for the trip other than to explore the world. There are already travel agencies who book excursions to Cuba and we figure it will only get more expensive when tourism from the United States ramps up in the near future.

When we travel, I generally do not attend lodge meetings. The only exceptions I have made was to attend a communication at the lodge in the Black Hills of South Dakota where my father was raised in 1945. I also attended the inaugural communication of a brand new lodge in Quebec City last fall. What an interesting experience it was to attend a meeting entirely in French!

Hopefully all of the pieces of the itinerary will work out so I can attend a communication in Spanish!

Edited by WBScott - May/15/2015 at 3:15pm
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2015 at 3:57pm
Last I knew (March 12, 2014), Florida had withdrawn recognition with GL of Cuba (see links below). The short version of the story, from what I remember, is that at some point Cuban masons came to Florida and opened their own lodges. Many of those lodges are in Hialeah, and some operate as "Masones Cubanos" or "Masons in exile of Cuba "Cuba First."" The "Cuba First" part is in the name of their GL. See facebook link below. Anyway, the Grand Master of Cuba allegedly sat in one of their lodge meetings, and even discussed recognizing these lodges in Hialeah. Florida saw it as an invasion of its sovereignty.

If the situation has been resolved, please let me know. I haven't heard anything that makes me think there is recognition again.

https://www.facebook.com/FederacionDeMasonesCubanosExiliadosCubaPrimero

http://glflamason.org/documents/Monthly%20Mail/03-Mar/2014/04%20Withdrawal%20of%20Fraternal%20Recogniton%20with%20the%20Grand%20Lodge%20of%20Cuba.pdf
Gainesville Lodge #41
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 8:38am
Originally posted by WBScott WBScott wrote:

Hopefully all of the pieces of the itinerary will work out so I can attend a communication in Spanish!

Just FYI - You can attend a spanish communication here in Florida without giving a dime to the communists in Cuba. Florida has some spanish speaking lodges that do all their work in Spanish, and are under the GL of Florida.

There's many reasons I would advocate against going to Cuba. One of which is that any money you spend there will be used by the Castro government to further harm the citizens. No American should take pride in visiting Cuba. You are funding some of the worst human rights violators in the world.
Gainesville Lodge #41
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Hyksos Hyksos wrote:

You are funding some of the worst human rights violators in the world.

So are you and you don't even have to leave the country to do it! 

As long as you pay taxes here in the United States, a portion of that money goes to the People's Republic of China. Despite their long history of human rights violations, much longer and much more severe than anything Fidel or Raul can think of, they still have "Most Favored Nation" status with us. 

The next time you go shopping for a small home appliance or just about any type of electronic technology, see if you can find any of those items NOT made in China.

So what's the difference between giving my money to the US government or giving it directly to the citizen's of Cuba?

Edited by WBScott - May/16/2015 at 10:03am
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 11:59am
Before this goes too much further I would like to point out that issues concerning Cuba are very important to many in Florida, and not just from a Masonic stand point. (Maybe this should be moved to a different section for politics). Many in Cuban immigrants and descendants feel very strongly about the Cuban Govt. and that has influenced how many in Florida see Cuba. growing up, one of my best friend's mother was one such person. Her whole family was killed and their land/property was taken when Castro took power. She only survived because she was so young at the time. While this may not be the most egregious human rights violation known to man, it is still fresh within the consciousness of may Florida residents. Not saying this should preclude further discussion, just figured I'd provide some possible context.
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Jacksonville 12 R.A.M. - King
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 6:16pm
Gentleman and Brothers,

It is kindly requested that if you wish to continue in the direction that this thread has turned that one of you open a new topic in the sub forum "society and government" located in the General Quarrymen discussion area.   This topic, while plainly title "Cuba" was begun as a Masonic recognition discussion.

Please kindly refrain from any further posts in this thread that are not on the topic of the original post.

*Rule 3. From the acceptable forum usage guidelines:

In Masonry we're taught to avoid the discussion of religion or politics or anything which may cause separation between brothers.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

Edited by Adept? - May/16/2015 at 8:11pm
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2015 at 10:10am
Originally posted by WBScott WBScott wrote:

I am still waiting for the official word from our Grand Secretary as far as if the Grand Lodge of Missouri recognizes the Grand Lodge of Cuba...

The answer is yes. I just received an official letter of introduction from the Grand Lodge of Missouri to the Grand Lodge of Cuba.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic