Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Masonic Year Winding Down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longp2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masonic Year Winding Down
    Posted: July/10/2015 at 2:39pm
Well, it has been eight years for me as I went through the chairs at my lodge. I have two weeks left as WM and I have to say it is a bittersweet end. It's almost feels like leaving a job you've had for a long time, one that you really enjoyed.

It is definitely going to be weird going to lodge now without the obligation of filling a chair. To be able to sit on the side line and watch the younger masons progress.

Maybe I'll be the secretary's understudy for a while.

Good luck to all the Officers that are moving up the upcoming masonic year.

"So long as we are loved by others I should say that we are almost indispensable; and no man is useless while he has a friend." - Robert Louis Stevenson
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 8:05am
Originally posted by longp2000 longp2000 wrote:

To be able to sit on the side line and watch the younger masons progress.

Is that your goal; to just sit back and watch? With all due respect, now is the time to start learning the obligations and other parts of the degree work. Don't just watch the younger members progress but be a part of their progression. 

One of the problems we are having is that many of the guys sit back and watch the more "senior" members of the lodge put on the degrees. It seems to be so easy and effortless for these guys to perform pages and pages of ritual without stumbling or hesitating. Let them be your inspiration and motivation to start learning to do what they do. Like the guys in our area, they are getting older and one day they won't be able to perform the ritual any more and then where will your lodge be?

I promise you that actually being a part of the progression of these younger guys is a lot more rewarding and satisfying than just sitting on the sidelines and watching it happen while others do the work.

Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 9:54am
Unless I'm misreading or misunderstanding the opening statement of his post... It would seem that the Brother has spent at least the last 8 years being an active "part of their progression" and now has intentions on working with, and perhaps someday taking over the Secretary chair. (No easy task to be sure)

There are many very active and involved Brothers who don't now hold, and/or perhaps have never held a chair in open lodge.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 10:49am
I guess I didn't make that leap about his intentions based on his statement about sitting on the sidelines and watching. Perhaps he will come back and enlighten us.

And as the secretary of two lodges, I can attest to the fact that it can be, at times, difficult and frustrating... especially when it comes time to collect dues!

My point is that even though his journey to the East is over, his journey through Masonry still continues. 
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2015 at 2:12pm

From Bro. Adept:

There are many very active and involved Brothers who don't now hold, and/or perhaps have never held a chair in open lodge.

Excellent point. One of our most active “sideliners” has repeatedly resisted entreaties to go through the line. We all think he’d make a fine WM, however, he does not want to do this; is uncomfortable in a position like that. So, after 10 years of him being involved in everything and coaching many new Brothers, we decided to make him Junior Deacon, Emeritus. Awarded it to him lastr Stated Meeting. Blew him away. Complete surprise, and richly deserved recognition.

Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2015 at 9:09am
While filling a chair is nice, setting on the sidelines [at least for me] would be boring as hell.

I don't want to pick a fight here, but if you set on the sidelines and do not participate actively, Lodge  would be boring.  Show up, vote a few times and go home.  For me, not worth the gas and my time better served somewhere else.

We should all stay active and participate, if for no other reason, than to support our brothers in their endeavor.  Help out with the opening and closing ritual, fill in  a chair.  Volunteer for a committee etc.

Some Lodges are lucky to fill the minimum chairs to open.  Others are lucky enough to have guys setting on the sidelines.  Keep these guys involved.  Let them know they are important and an integral part of the functioning of the Lodge.

If you are retiring from a chair like {WM}, stay involved, offer help and advice to the new guy.
Become a mentor to a new member [or an older one].  After a year of hard work, a rest is deserved, but do not just fade away, stay in touch, your brothers need you.

Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2015 at 4:50pm
I like the way you said that Bob, especially the part about being bored! And my Masonic career is about to get even more interesting as I am the outgoing DDGM's recommendation to replace him (but I am still waiting for the official word from the Grand Lodge). 
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2015 at 6:08pm
Scott

I have seen this and I am sure others have as well.

I know of several Lodges that bring in a new guy and then wait to confer the degrees and or give him a chair.
Most get up and leave, they are tired of waiting and got bored.

I have watched other members of Lodge set on the side lines, and they look like they are asleep.

We [as a group] need to help make our Lodges interesting and informative.  I am the Education Officer, and I routinely give small presentations on Masonic history, or topic about Roslyn Chapel, or the Knights Templar, or most anything else I can dig up.

Lodges need to stay active and involved in the community, and then when your done with the WM chair, [or any other chair] get involved in something else.  You will like the attention and the Brothers will appreciate it.  It gives a sense of purpose.

For you specifically Scott, if you get appointed, you will become suprisingly busy but it is a pleasure to  serve. 

My Brothers, we all get tired, especially with age.  Don't let that drag you down.  This is a wonderful Fraternity of GOOD MEN.  Keep pushing forward.

I will quit now, and get off my soapbox.Big smile
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2015 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by WBScott WBScott wrote:

To be able to sit on the side line and watch the younger masons progress.

Is that your goal; to just sit back and watch? With all due respect, now is the time to start learning the obligations and other parts of the degree work. Don't just watch the younger members progress but be a part of their progression. 

One of the problems we are having is that many of the guys sit back and watch the more "senior" members of the lodge put on the degrees. It seems to be so easy and effortless for these guys to perform pages and pages of ritual without stumbling or hesitating. Let them be your inspiration and motivation to start learning to do what they do. Like the guys in our area, they are getting older and one day they won't be able to perform the ritual any more and then where will your lodge be?

I promise you that actually being a part of the progression of these younger guys is a lot more rewarding and satisfying than just sitting on the sidelines and watching it happen while others do the work.

If one were to read the original post carefully, you would find that the brother is actually in the last two weeks of his time in the East and Worshipful Master. He certainly knows the Obligations along with having memorized around 300,000 words of Ritual. He is looking forward to gaining the privilege of rest and still is considering serving his lodge by learning from the Secretary.
Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2015 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by windrider windrider wrote:

If one were to read the original post carefully, you would find that the brother is actually in the last two weeks of his time in the East and Worshipful Master. He certainly knows the Obligations along with having memorized around 300,000 words of Ritual. He is looking forward to gaining the privilege of rest and still is considering serving his lodge by learning from the Secretary.

While that may be true in Massachusetts, not every jurisdiction requires candidates to turn in proficiencies any more. You can not make the assumption that just because someone makes it to the East that they have indeed memorized every word of ritual.
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2015 at 10:45am
Originally posted by WBScott WBScott wrote:

Originally posted by windrider windrider wrote:

While that may be true in Massachusetts, not every jurisdiction requires candidates to turn in proficiencies any more. You can not make the assumption that just because someone makes it to the East that they have indeed memorized every word of ritual.

It would be very difficult to confer a degree without knowing the Obligation of that degree. The man we are discussing is not a candidate, he is the Worshipful Master of his lodge. I would hope, especially at the end of his term, the he would be proficient :)

Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2015 at 11:20am
Reading is fundamental!
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
longp2000 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longp2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2015 at 4:24pm
I certainly didn't mean to cause a stir. I was sort of basking in the last 8 (going on 9 at the end of this month) years of going through the chairs and serving in the East.

I'll hopefully shed additional light on this (no Masonic pun intended)

My statement about setting on the side line was in regards to filling the chairs. We have 10 chairs at our lodge and we have a lot of good people to handle that now.

I work every degree and will continue to do so. I can perform all the parts in pinch, but have to practice more on conferring before I would be perfect. I can also teach the memory work when we have a lot of new brothers, although there are better teachers than I.

I would like to learn the secretary's position because it would be great to offer help to him when needed as he does so much for the lodge and he did so much for me as WM.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit. I appreciate the support and feedback from everyone.
"So long as we are loved by others I should say that we are almost indispensable; and no man is useless while he has a friend." - Robert Louis Stevenson
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2015 at 4:54pm
Thank you longp2000 for clarifying your post for the member who misunderstood it.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2015 at 8:17am

I would like to learn the secretary's position because it would be great to offer help to him when needed as he does so much for the lodge and he did so much for me as WM.

If you really want to learn the secretary's duties, I humbly suggest you acquire a copy of your jurisdiction's bylaws. I don't know about your jurisdiction, but in Missouri the first duty of the secretary is to observe the proceedings of the lodge. This does not mean you just sit back and watch, but it also means that it is your job to make sure the meeting is conducted in a manner that is compliant with the bylaws. In Missouri, you can buy a copy of the bylaws in a 3-ring binder for $10 or better yet, you can download a PDF copy for free. This is the method I prefer since it is easily searchable. 

But anyway...

There will be situations where a Brother may want to switch his affiliation from one lodge to yours or he may want to become a multiple member of your lodge while maintaining membership in his home lodge. There may be situations where a suspended Brother wants to renew his membership. There may be situations where a Brother wants to visit your lodge and no one can vouch for him. There may be situations where a Brother has moved into your area who is from another jurisdiction and wants to join your lodge. 

And the list goes on and on...

Your present secretary should already know how to handle these situations, but in any case your jurisdiction's bylaws will (should?) guide you through these scenarios. Absolutely continue to work on your ritual but at the same time familiarize yourself with your jurisdiction's bylaws so you can make sure your meetings are conducted according to Hoyle. 

Besides, if you find yourself in a situation where you can't sleep at night, open up a copy of your jurisdiction's bylaws and start reading them. If they are anything like our bylaws, this will put you to sleep in a big hurry!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic