Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping Being a Freemason Secret - Event Date: March/09/2015 - March/12/2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you keep your membership secret?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
15 [83.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Keeping Being a Freemason Secret
    Posted: September/03/2015 at 11:35pm
Please qualify your answer!  I think it would be interesting to know why or why not, or under what conditions people keep their Freemasonry under wraps.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2015 at 5:31am
I've never tried to hide it. On the contrary...I'm very proud of my membership. I have a hat, 3 different rings, a necklace, 4 t-shirts, 4-sweat shirts, a 32° tattoo on my left forearm, 4 emblems on the tailgate of my truck, and a 2B1ask1 bumper sticker. Oh, and there are emblems on my wife's vehicle also.

Why would anyone want to hide their membership?
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2015 at 8:29am

I wear Masonic jewelry, a belt, and a ring.  When asked or when appropriate, I will always tell someone I am a Mason.

Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
lightbound View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2015 at 12:18am
62 views, 5 responses, 1 being my own.

Are there any Masonic forums with members who participate more actively?  sheesh.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2015 at 1:34am
Every time someone views the thread it is counted.  I myself have viewed this thread 3 or 4 times, and they all count.  Every time YOU view it.. it counts.  Also, keep in mind that some of the views may be from guests, who are not registered forum members and can't post.  So the view count is not how many individuals have viewed it, but how many times it has been viewed total, even if it is just one person viewing it 20 times a day.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2015 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by lightbound lightbound wrote:

Are there any Masonic forums with members who participate more actively?  sheesh.

With all due respect...

The tiler guards the outer door to prevent cowans and eavesdroppers from coming in, but I am sure he more than happy to let you out so you can continue your quest for other Masonic fora where they participate more actively since this one does not seem to satisfy you.

Sheesh!

Edited by WBScott - September/05/2015 at 10:39pm
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2015 at 1:14pm
hey hey!  wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers...was a little dismayed by the number of views vs. replies on this (and most other) posts here.  Adept did a good job explaining that views doesn't represent the number of distinct individuals who have viewed it, which makes perfect sense.

To answer the question "who would hide it?":  I had read in another thread that the older folks in some Lodges were against Masonic apparel, rings, etc., and thought that a poll might draw out some of those people and help me understand their ways of thinking.  I realize historical (and maybe current?) anti-Masonic sentiment is probably what's behind it all, but there might be other considerations. 
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2015 at 9:28pm

57 who do keep their involvement in the fraternity secret!

I did not tell my closest friends until recently.

Before that it was my Wife, Mother, In-Laws, sister and her husband and only because her husband's dad is a PM and he wrote one of my letter of recommendation for me.

I can probably still count on one hand who knows I'm a Freemason who are not already masons themselves.

I've heard horror stories of a friend who I now can call a brother having his sister-in-law not wanting to have anything to do with him because she thinks he worships the devil. It is one thing to read that stuff on line but hearing about it first hand makes more than a 'passing' anecdote to shrug aside.

So, I wear a ring and if someone asks I will not deny it. However I do not go out of my way to bring attention to myself. I am thinking about putting an emblem on my vehicle though. I just have to either learn to slow down or put the emblem on and force myself to slow down.

I'd have to abstain from the poll because I wear a ring in public along with a key chain fob. I'd vote guarded, cautious

Edited by BroScubaSteve - September/06/2015 at 9:34pm
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2015 at 8:40am
In my Lodge, we are active in the community and one of the things we do is assist
the Boosters club.  At one of the high schools, we grill food for the athletic events, and we always wear our Lodge hats and polo shirts, and we have gained some very nice recognition because of that.

I do not flaunt my membership, nor do I flaunt any other group or activity I am involved in, but I will always acknowledge my affiliation with that group if I am asked.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2015 at 12:40pm

...To answer the question "who would hide it?": ...

There are quite a few other considerations. Some cultures, religions, countries, etc. are hostile toward even those who are relatives to Freemasons. Hiding Freemasonic associations is a time honored tradition, especially when such associations can bring discrimination and even death. Even in the USA, there are groups hostile toward FMs and associated family members and friends. I have close friends who would have to deal with open hostility toward themselves and their loved ones from their surrounding culture should they even broach the topic.

Edited by coach - September/07/2015 at 12:40pm
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

Books I Wrote | My FB Wall
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2015 at 12:40pm

To answer the question "who would hide it?":  I had read in another thread that the older folks in some Lodges were against Masonic apparel, rings, etc., and thought that a poll might draw out some of those people and help me understand their ways of thinking.  I realize historical (and maybe current?) anti-Masonic sentiment is probably what's behind it all, but there might be other considerations. 

However....

You also have to consider that there are probably quite a few of  those "older folks" who do not take advantage of things like blogs, forums, Google® and resources like that that we take for granted. So unless you talk to them in person, you are not very likely to get very accurate results on this, or any other forum.

OTOH...

When my lodges do something noteworthy, in addition to sending in a brief article and a picture to our Grand Lodge's quarterly magazine, we also send a "press release" to the local newspaper. We want people to know what goes on in that unassuming 2-story building next to the hardware store across from the railroad tracks!

But also...

I don't wear my Masonic ring (or other outward symbols) while at work for two reasons:
1) As far as the ring itself, I work on sensitive electronic equipment and it could possibly interfere when I have to get into the "guts" of the equipment. (I do wear my wedding ring, but it is a band on my ring finger and has no protrusions that could get in the way)
2) My work often takes me into churches, many of them Catholic, and I don't want to do anything that could possibly offend my customers or reflect negatively on my company.

Edited by WBScott - September/07/2015 at 12:54pm
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2015 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by BroScubaSteve BroScubaSteve wrote:

I am thinking about putting an emblem on my vehicle though. I just have to either learn to slow down or put the emblem on and force myself to slow down.

Go for it!

As far as slowing down... 

Remember that we all must practice "subduing our passions"!

But then again...

The sheriff of our county is a member of our lodge!

Edited by WBScott - September/07/2015 at 1:07pm
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2015 at 6:07pm
A little off-topic, but I found this recently and think it's worth sharing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libert%C3%A9_ch%C3%A9rie
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2015 at 8:39pm
Off topic indeed, but interesting none the less. Thank you for sharing it.

Back to the topic of the thread, and more or less answering my own question....   

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppression_of_Freemasonry

Most are familiar with Catholicisms hostility toward Freemasonry, and it's ban on it's members joining under penalty of excommunication. I believe most are also familiar with the ban by some middle east and Islamic countries for similar reasons. I was unaware of the past ban by some European countries. I believe most, if not all of those bans have been done away with, but I can understand why some Brothers may want to hide or keep secret their membership for fear of persecution, and in some countries even prosecution, with penalties of imprisonment and even death.

Sad to think that as a society, and a human race; that some cultures, or certain groups of people still have not risen above the persecution of others who think or believe differently than they do. When will we all live and let live...?

"Imagine all the people living life in peace...imagine all the people sharing all the world..." ~John Lennon~
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2015 at 2:17am
i think i connected the story to the thread by thinking ab the point you just made, adept!  theres lots of interesting stuff in that article you linked to...thanks!
Mike Martin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2015 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

Back to the topic of the thread, and more or less answering my own question....   

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppression_of_Freemasonry

Most are familiar with Catholicisms hostility toward Freemasonry, and it's ban on it's members joining under penalty of excommunication. I believe most are also familiar with the ban by some middle east and Islamic countries for similar reasons. I was unaware of the past ban by some European countries

You may find this paper of interest: http://h2g2.com/entry/A25741596
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2015 at 3:15pm
A very interesting and informative read. thank you.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2015 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by WBScott WBScott wrote:

With all due respect...

The tiler guards the outer door to prevent cowans and eavesdroppers from coming in, but I am sure he more than happy to let you out so you can continue your quest for other Masonic fora where they participate more actively since this one does not seem to satisfy you.

Sheesh!

This is an open forum for all Masons and NON-Masons.     From the count, I would expect approximately 50 to 54 of the views were by 'search bots'.

To the topic of the thread    ... no I don't hide my being a Freemason.  I have no reason to.    But, some other Freemasons might.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
scout View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2015 at 1:02pm
I am not one to hide my membership.  I have an emblem on my truck and I sometimes wear masonic apparel. I also have a ring on most of the time.  
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 12:40pm
I travel in foreign countries and often don't know how the Fraternity is perceived there. For example, after the Grande Loge National de France regained recognition I visited the Provincial Grand Lodge building for Brittany. They keep their membership highly secret. I did not see a single ring or car badge. If fact, I was a bit confused when I arrived at the Provincial Grand Lodge building as it had no markings visible from the street, not even on the mailbox. All that was visible was the number 7 on the door. 

I have travelled to Israel and may be going to Saudi Arabia soon. Israel was not a problem but Freemasonry is not usually allowed in Islamic countries. I'll have to be careful. 

Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 10:01pm
Does being a Master Mason have a place on a CV?  It seems like it should.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2015 at 5:54am
Well what is a CV???
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2015 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

Well what is a CV???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curriculum_vitae

Edited by coach - September/22/2015 at 10:33am
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

Books I Wrote | My FB Wall
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2015 at 10:42am
Oh ok. Thanks Coach!

Well then I suppose my answer would be yes. I've certainly listed my affiliation with the craft on applications in the past. As a matter of fact, some agencies specifically ask about civic group affiliation on their applications.
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2015 at 10:56am
I am very proud of my Masonic membership and never hide it. I have a Masonic ring that I always wear and have golf shirts with the S&C that I wear frequently.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 8:35pm

Does being a Master Mason have a place on a CV?  It seems like it should.

A CV is usually tailored to specific jobs/positions so the only thing that should go on a CV is information relevant to the job/position you are interested in. NOT saying you should be ashamed of your membership but people who might review your CV only want to see specific info. Mentioning Masonic membership is better suited for a resume.

Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Jacksonville 12 R.A.M. - King
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Cookslc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 9:55pm
CV: in my view, for a professional CV, no. I don't mean this as harshly as it reads, but being a Mason per se really doesn't mean anything. Now, if you do something with it, that may mean something.

I have different CV's: professional, Scottish cultural, Masonic. I do have a few references in my Scottish CV.
G A Cook
F&AM of Utah
AF&AM of Oklahoma
UGLE
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 10:51am
In many countries freemasonry is either illegal or misunderstood.

I lived in Saudi arabia. And all masons keep identity secret. I do not display any light in. That country

Also France is very discreet and you will almost never see any light displayed. Even on masonic buildings

Edited by cemab4y - October/10/2015 at 10:53am
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 10:56am
I always mention fm on my phone resume and cv.   Many firms value applicants who have experience with non profit organizations.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by cemab4y cemab4y wrote:

I always mention fm on my phone resume and cv.   Many firms value applicants who have experience with non profit organizations.
Good point. Hadn't thought of that.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic