Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Serious Question regarding reenactment regalia.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serious Question regarding reenactment regalia.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serious Question regarding reenactment regalia.
    Posted: September/21/2015 at 9:52am
Since I've read that reenactments are important for Masonry, and this being the 21st century, and Freemasons are noted for being ahead of their time, would it be pertinent to incorporate high tech Invisibilty Clothing into the traditional costumes of Masonic reenactments?

Seriously, they are having all sorts of high tech breakthroughs in cloaking technologies and invisibility clothing which has interested the U.S. Army and department of defense. Shouldn't the Masons upgrade their costumes and include some 'inivisbility robes' into their plays and ceremonies??

Thank you!
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 11:00am
Interesting...um...from my experience, and to the best of my knowledge; Freemasonry has no use/need for invisibility clothing. What good would it do us to perform the "reenactments" if the brothers performing it were not visible to the audience...?

I'm curious to know what you have read or studied that would suggest to you, or lead you to believe that we would want/need anything like that....

Edited by Adept? - September/21/2015 at 11:01am
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 2:08pm
With all due respect, what are you reading that is pointing you in this direction?

Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2015 at 4:20pm
Here, I fixed it for you....

"With all due respect, what are you reading smoking that is pointing you in this direction?"
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2015 at 9:31am
Hi,

Actually, I've never smoked in my life (anything).

I've come across Masonic manuals covering methods of reenactments important to Masonic history.

And since camoflague is now in style to wear, I thought it would be innovative to use 'stealth technology' or 'invisibility cloaks' material for Masonic reenactments as a statement of foreward thinking.

I did not mean to offend.
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2015 at 10:20am
Our ceremonies are based on ritual... not trends or fads.

By your logic we should be exchanging modes of recognition via NFC "handshakes." Goat Smile

Also, what are the titles and who are the authors of said books? The only recognized book(s) that exist in my jurisdiction are the two I asked for once I became a Master Mason. My ritual cipher and my other book that has installation procedures that a MM can sit in and the funeral service.

Edited by BroScubaSteve - September/23/2015 at 10:26am
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2015 at 3:36pm
As stated above, 'ritual' ... Our rituals contain allegories which need & should be conveyed true to the ancient methods of teaching and ritual.    By being innovated, a lot of meaning and hidden secrets can be inadvertently obscured or even lost.   ...  Our allegories have more than one meaning.  There is the 'superficial' meaning which is described & given in the ritual.  Then there are the 'hidden' meaning or 'secrets' which only become clear to those Freemasons who have opened their eyes to see the 'light'.   ... Just because actor is portraying the ritual, it doesn't mean they, themselves, fully understand all the hidden meanings of the allegories.   Much has already been lost in Freemasonry due to ritual changes & innovation of the last 250 years.    ... There is a saying among current Masonic educators in regards to Lodge Coaches and Mentors:  "The blind leading the blind."

I believe the ancient Brethren portrayed in our legends & ritual wore simple and very basic clothing which were drapes, warps, and tunics.   Therefore, 'high tech' clothing would alter one's perception of the simple life & times of these ancient Brethren.

GrimoireA3. since you are not a Freemason, you may or may not follow what I just stated.   Many Freemason believe when they were Raised, they were give ALL the secretes of Freemasonry.  THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!

Edited by edwmax - September/23/2015 at 4:00pm
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2015 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by edwmax edwmax wrote:

... There is a saying among current Masonic educators in regards to Lodge Coaches and Mentors:  "The blind leading the blind."

Many Freemasons believe when they were Raised, they were given ALL the secretes of Freemasonry.  THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!

Love it! ClapThumbs Up

Edited by Adept? - September/23/2015 at 6:17pm
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2015 at 9:01pm
Grimoire,

I think I know what you are saying, maybe not. There could be some places in our reenactments as you put it, where one is initially invisible then becomes visible which could enhance the lesson being taught. I don't know anything about this new invisible stuff the Army is working on; I've only read headlines and little pieces. They are always working on far out stuff. My guess is that at this point the cost of such items would also be far out and not worth the benefits that would be derived. Who knows down the road though.
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2015 at 5:20am
And furthermore...

In Missouri, when a Master is installed, he must signify his assent to the ancient charges and regulations which point out the duty of a Master of a lodge. Among other things, he must admit that it is not in the power of any man or body of men to make innovations in the body of Masonry.

My advice (which is worth exactly what it cost you, $0.00) is to petition a local lodge and if they will have you, see what the actual ritual is like for yourself. After you experience it for yourself, then you will be in a better position to comment on its suitability for its purpose.

Edited by WBScott - September/24/2015 at 5:21am
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by edwmax edwmax wrote:

As stated above, 'ritual' ... Our rituals contain allegories which need & should be conveyed true to the ancient methods of teaching and ritual.    By being innovated, a lot of meaning and hidden secrets can be inadvertently obscured or even lost.   ...  Our allegories have more than one meaning.  There is the 'superficial' meaning which is described & given in the ritual.  Then there are the 'hidden' meaning or 'secrets' which only become clear to those Freemasons who have opened their eyes to see the 'light'.   ... Just because actor is portraying the ritual, it doesn't mean they, themselves, fully understand all the hidden meanings of the allegories.   Much has already been lost in Freemasonry due to ritual changes & innovation of the last 250 years.    ... There is a saying among current Masonic educators in regards to Lodge Coaches and Mentors:  "The blind leading the blind."

I believe the ancient Brethren portrayed in our legends & ritual wore simple and very basic clothing which were drapes, warps, and tunics.   Therefore, 'high tech' clothing would alter one's perception of the simple life & times of these ancient Brethren.

GrimoireA3. since you are not a Freemason, you may or may not follow what I just stated.   Many Freemason believe when they were Raised, they were give ALL the secretes of Freemasonry.  THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!<span id="userPro1" ="msgSidePro" title="View Drop Down"></span>

Actually Edwmax I never considered that adding a different 'high tech' clothing to the ritual would change the meaning. And that is absolutely correct. The integrity of the ritual must be maintained in order to preserve the continuity of the allegory over time.

As an analogy: That is something I have stressed when teaching 'kata' in the martial arts. Kata is extremely important - I call kata the 'DNA' of the fighting art. So the beginning student of the martial arts does not fully understand nor appreciate the value of kata training (wisdom does come with age)until years later.

So thank you again for clearing up my error from good intentions. That is why Mastermason forums is important. To correct any assumptions made by non-Masons like me.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2015 at 6:04pm
Thumbs Up ... Thumbs Up
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2015 at 9:34am
Well..........interesting.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic