Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Claims we make.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Claims we make.
    Posted: October/14/2015 at 2:34pm
Having been an avid seeker of light regarding our beloved Fraternity, I have encountered some claims made by both conspiracy theorists and from brothers that are believable but completely false. For example, the Great Seal on the dollar bill has nothing to do with us. 

One statement I've seen on this very forum is we originated the "Third Degree" as in "Give him the Third Degree" on a cop show. My understanding is that this is not a reference to the Master Mason Degree but to the Third Degree of torture during the Inquisition.

From the article "Torture, Terror and Theology" from the Christian Research Institute  http://www.equip.org/article/torture-terror-and-theology/

The Infamous “Third Degree.” Whence comes the term, “the third degree”? From the Inquisition, of course! It was all a matter of the nature and duration of the torment. The first degree involved cutting off the victim’s clothing and showing him the instruments of torture. The second started the torture itself, to be sustained no longer than the time it took for an inquisitor to recite a single Ave Maria or Pater Noster—probably about one minute. The third degree was full torture itself, and without such time limits.

I wonder how many other things we claim as originating with the Craft have nothing to do with us?

Edited by windrider - October/14/2015 at 2:41pm
Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2015 at 7:36am
I know that I have said that the third degree saying comes from us on here somewhere, just don't remember where.  I saw it on a History Channel show "America's Secret Slang" They said that it originated with us, and our third degree... who knows...
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
lightbound View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2015 at 1:06am
Yeah, I never really understood why it would be so bad to give the third degree if it meant the third degree in Masonry...also, the third degree didn't originally exist.  

The Inquisition reference makes waaaaay more sense.
scout View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2015 at 12:59pm
Check this out:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/372300.html
lightbound View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2015 at 3:43am
heeeeeeeeeeey that's pretty cool too
NewToLight84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NewToLight84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2015 at 8:58pm
How about being "Black Balled"? I have never personally researched it's origins..But, now that I asked that, I have to!

Edited by NewToLight84 - October/19/2015 at 8:59pm
"Be careful how you live. You may be the only Mason some people will ever meet." -unknown
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 10:44am
True.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2015 at 10:46am
StarI find this interesting also!
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2015 at 2:17pm
I do believe that "black balled", "Square Deal", "On the Level", and many other expressions do come from our Fraternity. Square and compasses on the maps of Washington DC; The Great Seal of the US; and several other things do not. We only end up feeding the delusions of the conspiracy theorists if we claim that which is not rightfully ours.

Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic