Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice Requested: Starting a Masonic Club

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice Requested: Starting a Masonic Club
    Posted: January/20/2016 at 12:23am
Brethren:

I am a government employee residing I Washington, DC and am among a group of Freemasons who are beginning the process of creating a Masonic Club for our agency. Membership would be open to all Master Masons within the agency, both current and retired employees.

Might anyone have any experience with creating a group along these lines? Any help that you might be able to offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

I look forward to hearing form you.

Fraternally,
David
12/05/09: Initiated
02/22/10: Passed
05/17/10: Raised

04/19/11: Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite
03/09/12: Shriners International
11/04/14: York Rite
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 9:16pm
I do not have any experience creating a Masonic club, but I would check with the Grand Lodge of the jurisdiction in which you want to have the club and see if they have any rules or regulations about clubs outside of the lodge. Several years ago a member was accidentally shot and killed being initiated into one such club and the Grand Lodge of the state it was in came down hard on these clubs. There was a lot of negative national publicity about this incident so it wouldn't surprise me if other Grand Lodges tightened things up on them as well.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 8:11am
As droche stated check with the GL for guidance.  Masonic Clubs certainly comes under the GL & Grand Master's jurisdiction.   Even if you try to form a 'generic' type of club but require members to be a Masons would very likely be deemed a 'Masonic Club' by a GL.    GL Rules of Masonic Recognition will apply.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 9:33pm
LT Dave,
    If you need connections to the Grand Lodge of DC, or the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of DC, let me know.
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2016 at 12:50pm
I am very interested in these types of clubs. I first encountered a "Square and Compass" club, when I was in New Hampshire in 1982. I started a Masonic "Square and Compass" club, when I was in Iraq 2005. We did not do any degree work, or hold any tiled meetings, as we had no charter. We had fellowship, and discussions, and advised men interested in Masonry, in how to petition once they rotated back to the USA.

(BTW- I live in Alexandria VA. If you have a club underway in this area, or in Metro WashDC, I would be delighted to attend a meeting.)

Edited by cemab4y - October/11/2016 at 12:51pm
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic