Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weapons in Lodge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weapons in Lodge
    Posted: February/17/2016 at 9:12pm
Bretheran

We are having a discussion here in Missouri via Google groups, concerning the validity of carrying a gun into a tiled Lodge.  Legally permitted of course and including Peace Officers.

What say you, your GL /State

Just curious
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 7:37am
Maine's firearm laws are fairly unrestricted in comparison with some other states.  We have always been an open carry state; meaning if your firearm is openly visible, you're in the clear, provided that the area you are carrying it in is not a prohibited area.  (federal and state buildings, schools)  Recently, Maine made it legal for any person who can legally possess a firearm, to legally carry it concealed without a permit.  So... In my state anyway... a person can legally carry a firearm almost anywhere they wish to, as long as it is not prohibited by state or federal law, and/or the location does not prohibit the carry of weapons on their property.  (Yes, there is a provision that allows property owners, and businesses to prohibit tenants/patrons from carrying/possessing firearms.)  which I believe is unconstitutional, but that would be a whole other can of worms...Wacko  But just for example... sometime last year; if I recall correctly, there was an older gentleman who shot an intruder in his residence.  Of course he was protected under the law, and no charges were filed, but even after the incident (that clearly showed a valid reason to possess a firearm) his land lord served him with papers for violation of the lease agreement, with the stipulation that he remove all of his firearms from the residence or face eviction.  
How ludicrous is his landlord?!?! 
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 9:23am
Adept?

So  are you saying that someone could carry openly into a tiled Lodge?  Maine's GL supports that?

Inquiring minds want to knowConfused
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 10:09am
I don't know if they support it...guess I'd have to read through our most recent Masonic code. I don't recall having ever seen anything in the past that would prohibit it. Even if it is/was against it, and Maine Masonic code prohibited it; it would only be against the law if the lodge building and/or property was clearly posted with a sign prohibiting the possession and carry of firearms on the premises. Otherwise it would only be a violation of Masonic code, not the law.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 10:28am
That  is the very thing I am interested in.

Our Missouri GL prohibits weapons inside the tiled Lodge.  I have no argument either way.

But some think that those with permits should/could  carry inside the Lodge.

I am just curious how other states [Grand Lodge] approach the subject.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 11:17am
Missouri: State preemption of local restrictions? (Yes) No local governments may regulate open carry if the carrier has a valid Concealed carry license, but can regulate the discharge of firearms (except in self defense).

If I'm reading and understanding that correctly, that would mean that no county, municipal, or other body may LEGALLY prohibit a licenced carrier from carrying. But it would still be against you states Masonic code/constitution. However, unlawfully. If someone were to face Masonic charges for it, and decided to take it to a court of law, according to what I've read so far...the Missouri Grand Lodge would have no case. I'll do some more reading and see what I can find.

Edited by Adept? - February/18/2016 at 11:18am
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2016 at 11:34am
Ok, I just found this...

What places are off-limits when carrying a concealed weapon in Missouri?
In accordance with Section 571.107 RSMo., you may not carry a concealed weapon in the following places:
any police, sheriff, or Highway Patrol office or station without consent;
within 25 feet of any polling place on Election Day;
adult or juvenile jail or institution;
courthouse or facilities;
any meeting of a government body (except by a member with a concealed carry permit);
bar without consent;
airport;
where prohibited by federal law;
schools;
child care facility (without consent of manager);
riverboat gambling facility;
amusement parks;
any church or place of worship; without permission of minister or person representing religious organization;
any sports arena or stadium (with seating for more than 5,000);
hospitals; and
private or public property where posted.
Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any of the above-listed locations is not prohibited so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. Carrying a concealed firearm in any location specified above is not a criminal act. However, you can be denied access to the premises or may be removed from the premises for doing so. If a peace officer is summoned:

Upon the first offense, you can be cited and fined up to $100.
If within six months, a second offense occurs, you can be fined up to $200, and your concealed firearms permit can be suspended for a period of one year.
If within one year of the first offense a third citation for a similar violation is issued, you may be fined up to $500, and your concealed carry permit revoked. If your concealed carry permit is revoked, you are not eligible for
the permit for a period of three years.

So yes, they can legally prohibit the carry of weapons on lodge property, BUT IT MUST BE POSTED AS SUCH. Prohibition of carry in a tiled lodge is not a legal prohibition.

Edited by Adept? - February/18/2016 at 11:37am
scout View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2016 at 8:29am
Lawful concealed carry is allowed in Florida lodges.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2016 at 10:18pm
I couldn't find anything in the Massachusetts' Constitutions or edicts that specifically prohibits the carrying of firearms into a lodge, but I didn't go over these with a fine-tooth comb either. Perhaps a rule here in "The People's Republic of Massachusetts" is unnecessary, what with the strict gun control laws we have here. In the 34 years I have been a member, I have only seen a firearm once in a lodge and that was worn by a law enforcement officer wearing his uniform.

I guess the question I have is why would anyone want to carry a firearm into a lodge? I am no gun control advocate; I have a Class A license to carry in Massachusetts (the highest level for a non-law enforcement person), but I think even the most ardent gun rights advocates would support some precautions. Even in the Old West people were required  to check guns in saloons and other places in some instances. I don't particularly care if a reasonable, stable person carries a firearm into a lodge, but I can also see where in areas where open-carry is common, a rule requiring guns to be checked and properly safeguarded prior to entering the lodge would also be reasonable.
scout View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2016 at 8:28am
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

I guess the question I have is why would anyone want to carry a firearm into a lodge?

I think that carrying a weapon into the lodge is like carrying a weapon anywhere else.  We carry because there are bad people in the world who periodically try to harm the innocent.  The lodge is not immune to those incursions.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2016 at 9:24am
^^ what he said
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2016 at 4:13pm
I am a law enforcement officer and have been for many years.  When I became a Mason some members of my lodge told me I couldn't come to lodge with my weapon.  I told them I wouldn't come to lodge if I couldn't be armed.  There are evil men in the world and I am charged to protect.  Additionally, I've had to arrest members of our fraternity so I could easily run into something inside the lodge as well as out.

In addition to all of what I have said don't forget there was a foiled attack on one of our lodges. 
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic