Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perfection - How is it attained?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2016 at 5:19pm
As to the atheist in a foxhole to prove it right you need every single veteran of every single military from every single time. To prove it wrong you need one example.

I know one atheist by name who I was stationed at Ft. Gordon with. Ergo with this one example the idea of no atheist in a foxhole has been proven wrong. We should now move forward from this as it is a false idea.
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2016 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by goomba goomba wrote:

As to the atheist in a foxhole to prove it right you need every single veteran of every single military from every single time. To prove it wrong you need one example.

I know one atheist by name who I was stationed at Ft. Gordon with. Ergo with this one example the idea of no atheist in a foxhole has been proven wrong. We should now move forward from this as it is a false idea.

Exaaaaactly!  THANK YOU!  ClapThumbs Up
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2016 at 8:54am
Originally posted by GrimoireA3 GrimoireA3 wrote:

Originally posted by BroScubaSteve BroScubaSteve wrote:

Perfection can only be found in math. We can crunch the numbers to make a perfect square, but you can never physically lay that out without error.

Not perfection, but TRUTH can be found in Mathematics since Math requires 'PROOF'.

PHYSICS is not math, but uses mathematics to 'measure', and Physics doesn't care about 'proof' but results. [Please see the Feynman Lectures: The relation of Mathematics to Physics.]

That is an important distinction between Math & Physics, because Mathematics is a search for TRUTH by way of PROOFS, which is why Math is so important to Philosophy.

So Math and Physics (and Engineering) are not the same thing and have different goals to achieve. One is truth, the second might be perfection, but not the perfection define by coach or applied to the ashlar.

Your instruments will never measure a true foot and your angles will never be perfectly square.

YES,that is the problem with physics, engineering, architecture - but not with Mathematics. The mathematician will disregard any equation that doesn't have a PROOF. The Physicist is not so fussy.

The goal is to be as accurate as possible with the correct precision.

And that is the goal of Physics, Engineering, Architecture, Chemistry, Biology - but Mathematics demands 100% accuracy all the time.

Edited: I see this thread is not where I left it.

Seems to happen a lot on this forum?
My reply concerning mathematics was going from paper to ground and not concerning Proof as you put it.

I can calculate a Geodesic or whatever line you wish me to calculate on the surface of the earth in a CAD program but you can never match the true measured distance in the computer on the ground. Nor can you never actually measure the distance on the ground and be 100 percent certain it is correct.

Our sketch may be perfect, but implementing it never will be.
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2016 at 10:24am

Originally posted by coach coach wrote:

You might want to study Logic further. Your responses are filled with Logical fallacies.

Thank you coach. I would appreciate a list of those logical fallacies I made since I take logic quite seriously any mistake I make can be a learning experience for me (to keep working on my ashlar).

Sure. Let's start with your premises. Syllogisms are premises surrounded by arguments. Your premises are where the fallacies have rooted.

1) "There are no atheists in foxholes".

A subjective generalization; not factual.

2) "You've never met a combat veteran I take it?"

This asks a question assuming that the response will support the original premise. It has nothing truly to do with supporting your initial premise.

3) "No. It is not an assumption at all, but a time tested, proven, and accepted aphorism developed by combat veterans who lost their atheism in foxholes."

Also begs to gain support through subjective realization without factual evidence supporting a fabricated aphorism based upon such generalizations.

4) "...the 'secular humanist' believes in God but without the religion. You are providing a glaring example of a 'rationalization' - a self satisfying but erroneous conclusion.

Not all S.H.s believe in God.

5) "... you could further perfect your Ashlar by going to college and learn how to reason logically.

A reasonable assumption of a possibility, but totally reliant upon knowing the person who would subject himself to such efforts.

There are flaws contained in every one of your premises.
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

Books I Wrote | My FB Wall
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2016 at 10:40am

..Not perfection, but TRUTH can be found in Mathematics since Math requires 'PROOF'.

Sure. But is only called "true" only because it matches with what is expected based upon a bunch of fabricated rules that are agreed upon.

YES,that is the problem with physics, engineering, architecture - but not with Mathematics. The mathematician will disregard any equation that doesn't have a PROOF. The Physicist is not so fussy.

You're assuming it is a problem. It is not, at least for engineers. Engineers make things work. They do this by understanding the principles and then applying them accordingly; that is to say, apply theory to practice where theory is not always practical.

And that is the goal of Physics, Engineering, Architecture, Chemistry, Biology - but Mathematics demands 100% accuracy all the time.

LOL! Have you ever used fuzzy math? Studied Statistics? Used integration? Approximations ALL!

GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2016 at 11:02am

LOL! Have you ever used fuzzy math? Studied Statistics? Used integration? Approximations ALL!

Actually yes. I am currently reading: THE SEVEN PILLARS OF STATISTICAL WISDOM (2016) by Professor Stephen M. Stigler, and apparently statistics has come into its own and is no longer a branch of Mathematics. Interesting. Same thing has happened with Genetics, it is so important that is has morphed off from Biology and become its own subject.

So probability, fuzzy math (which is actually Logic) is under the aegis of Statistics, no longer mathematics. Integration (i.e. the calculus)is still part of the Mathematics discipline.

So Mathematics still demands PROOF. Not statistics.   
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2016 at 1:18pm

Actually yes. I am currently reading: THE SEVEN PILLARS OF STATISTICAL WISDOM (2016) by Professor Stephen M. Stigler, and apparently statistics has come into its own and is no longer a branch of Mathematics. Interesting. Same thing has happened with Genetics, it is so important that is has morphed off from Biology and become its own subject.

So probability, fuzzy math (which is actually Logic) is under the aegis of Statistics, no longer mathematics. Integration (i.e. the calculus)is still part of the Mathematics discipline.

So Mathematics still demands PROOF. Not statistics.   

PROOF governed by rules fabricated and used by the application of syllogisms, which are premised upon agreement that may provide false positives and negatives.

And, obviously, if we can label something as not falling in line with a classification of math, then logically we can dismiss it as not applicable, even though its very core is math.

Oh the web we weave.

Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2016 at 9:33am

Yes, thank you. As a means of apologizing and to learn, I am ordering a copy of 'The Craft Unmasked - The Uncommon Origin of Freemasonry and its Practice' (2014) by Dr. John S. Nagy; through Amazon (because I have an established account with them). I would be less than perfect otherwise.
KUDOS! Of all the books that you shall ever read about the origins and practices of the Freemasonic organization, this one will serve as a base line into your future and a standard to measure all others spouting theories based upon conjecture.

It shall blow you away and you'll love every moment of it.

YES, for me the 'CRAFT UNMASKED' has proven to be a very informative and entertaining read. Thank you!

In fact, when I saw the Cipher Key on page 163, I immediately began from front to back to decode all the ciphers within your 'Work' before reading. And a bit of Masonic magic occurred, by the time I decoded the last two ciphers, I was no longer referring to the key:

Edited

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I am working on a critique at the moment.

Edited by Adept? - April/25/2016 at 6:44pm
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2016 at 10:51am

Yes, thank you. As a means of apologizing and to learn, I am ordering a copy of 'The Craft Unmasked - The Uncommon Origin of Freemasonry and its Practice' (2014) by Dr. John S. Nagy; through Amazon (because I have an established account with them). I would be less than perfect otherwise.
KUDOS! Of all the books that you shall ever read about the origins and practices of the Freemasonic organization, this one will serve as a base line into your future and a standard to measure all others spouting theories based upon conjecture.

It shall blow you away and you'll love every moment of it.

YES, for me the 'CRAFT UNMASKED' has proven to be a very informative and entertaining read. Thank you!

In fact, when I saw the Cipher Key on page 163, I immediately began from front to back to decode all the ciphers within your 'Work' before reading. And a bit of Masonic magic occurred, by the time I decoded the last two ciphers, I was no longer referring to the key:

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the decoding. However, it would be more respectful to the intent of the book to have shared these decoded messages in private so others would not have it ruined for them.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I am working on a critique at the moment.

Awesome!

Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2016 at 6:47pm

... it would be more respectful to the intent of the book to have shared these decoded messages in private so others would not have it ruined for them.

Took care of that for you Coach.  Smile
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 5:18am
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

... it would be more respectful to the intent of the book to have shared these decoded messages in private so others would not have it ruined for them.

Thank you very much my good Brother.

Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 8:26am

Will my critique of THE CRAFT UNMASKED also get edited? Guess I will pass on that.
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 8:40am

Will my critique of THE CRAFT UNMASKED also get edited? Guess I will pass on that.

Understood.

BTW - Reviews are always appreciated. Disclosing all the ciphered challenges that the entire book has to offer is akin to telling someone who might read a murder mystery that the butler did it. It ruins it for the potential reader.

The edit was not done to slap. It was done to not ruin it for others.

Reviews should share the experience without ruining the experience for those who may read the book based upon the reviewer's experience, not the reader's report of what is in it.

Did you NOT read and heed the warning placed squarely in the beginning of the book?

Edited by coach - April/26/2016 at 8:47am

Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 8:41am

"Sometimes they would respond with abusive indignation. They took any opportunity they could to attack both the thoughts and the very person who shared these thoughts. They did so with a barrage of words and actions that made heads spin for those involved and even some of those who observed.

The fallout of their negative behavior degraded many opportunities for harmonious discourse. They employed dissention with every word they conveyed. Their mere presence would be a signal to shut discourse down. Many left who came together for intelligent exchange. They soon shut down any efforts to share Light contrary to what they dogmatically held to be true."1

1The Craft Unmasked page 18.

Perfection is still ongoing?
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 8:46am

It is for me. How about you?

Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 8:49am

Yes, which is why I purchase your books and participate on this forum (making good men better). I'm not afraid to work on my ashlar.

BUT IT APPEARS THERE ARE SOME OTHERS ON THIS FORUM WHO REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED TO POLISH THEIR ASHLARS! But I won't mention names.
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 8:53am

Yes, which is why I purchase your books and participate on this forum (making good men better). I'm not afraid to work on my ashlar.

BUT IT APPEARS THERE ARE SOME OTHERS ON THIS FORUM WHO REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED TO POLISH THEIR ASHLARS! But I won't mention names.

Only SOME?! Are you sure that you don't want to re-examine your estimate?

edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 9:26am

Only SOME?! Are you sure that you don't want to re-examine your estimate?

... ...

"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2016 at 12:55pm
Moderator note

GrimoireA3, 

It would seem I have offended you in some way in the editing of the "spoiler" section of your post.  I do apologize for any ill feelings my action may have created.  As Brother Coach stated, the section of your post that was edited was basically equivalent to spoiling the ending of a fiction book, or a movie.  

I too am glad that you read, and enjoyed the book, and even more so that you decoded, and enjoyed the cipher text, (as I did myself) but in posting the "answers" to the cipher text here, you essentially robbed anyone who read them of the opportunity to have the same experience and enjoyment that we shared in the decoding of the messages.

Again, my apologies for any ill feelings my action of editing your post may have created. 

goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2016 at 12:40am
I'm going to say it.  If you are half as smart as you claim to be then you would grasp what Coach was talking about and why your post was edited. 

So this leaves me with two thoughts about your behavior:

1.  You are not so smart as you think, or
2.  You are intentionally being a pain.

Either way I'm tired of reading your post and from now on will just ignore you.  You have went from a colorful laugh to being boring.
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2016 at 8:52am

Moderator note
<strong style="line-height: 16.8px;">
GrimoireA3, 
<strong style="line-height: 16.8px;">   <span style="line-height: 16.8px;">It would seem I have offended you in some way in the editing of the "spoiler" section of your post.  I do apologize for any ill feelings my action may have created.  As Brother Coach stated, the section of your post that was edited was </span>basically equivalent to spoiling the ending of a fiction book, or a movie.  

<span ="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre">     </span>I too am glad that you read, and enjoyed the book, and even more so that you decoded, and enjoyed the cipher text, (as I did myself) but in posting the "answers" to the cipher text here, you essentially robbed anyone who read them of the opportunity to have the same experience and enjoyment that we shared in the decoding of the messages.

Again, my apologies for any ill feelings my action of editing your post may have created. 

Not being a Freemason obviously my ignorance shows regarding Masonic etiquette. Being circumspect is not yet reflexive within me as my puppy dog enthusiasm for books and, more recently, Masonic literature leads me into all sorts of petty violations annoying to experienced & practiced Masons. Proof that I'm not perfect. Apology accepted - thank you.
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2016 at 9:16am

Moderator note
GrimoireA3, 
<strong style="line-height: 16.8px;">   <span style="line-height: 16.8px;">It would seem I have offended you in some way in the editing of the "spoiler" section of your post.  I do apologize for any ill feelings my action may have created.  As Brother Coach stated, the section of your post that was edited was </span>basically equivalent to spoiling the ending of a fiction book, or a movie.  

<span ="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre">     </span>I too am glad that you read, and enjoyed the book, and even more so that you decoded, and enjoyed the cipher text, (as I did myself) but in posting the "answers" to the cipher text here, you essentially robbed anyone who read them of the opportunity to have the same experience and enjoyment that we shared in the decoding of the messages.

Not being a Freemason obviously my ignorance shows regarding Masonic etiquette. Being circumspect is not yet reflexive within me as my puppy dog enthusiasm for books and, more recently, Masonic literature leads me into all sorts of petty violations annoying to experienced & practiced Masons. Proof that I'm not perfect. Apology accepted - thank you.

Glad you are sticking to it. KUDOS!

Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2016 at 2:40pm

Are you sure you want me to do a critique of The Craft Unmasked?
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2016 at 3:50pm

I said "I look forward to hearing your thoughts". If this includes a critique, so be it. The book has been received extremely well by both Brothers (scholar and not) and profane alike. The feedback from the profanes were all along the same line and can be summarized as:

This book was supposed to be about Freemasonry, but I found it applying to every organization I ever belonged to.

If you can add to this, awesome.

Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2016 at 5:23pm

I said "I look forward to hearing your thoughts". If this includes a critique, so be it. The book has been received extremely well by both Brothers (scholar and not) and profane alike. The feedback from the profanes were all along the same line and can be summarized as:

This book was supposed to be about Freemasonry, but I found it applying to every organization I ever belonged to.

Thank you. I like your Work very well. But as a trained Historian (MA History '87 UMass) I am trained to critique everything I read, as all historians are supposed to do.
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2016 at 5:46am

Thank you. I like your Work very well. But as a trained Historian (MA History '87 UMass) I am trained to critique everything I read, as all historians are supposed to do.

Ah! A "historic" critique is more of what you had in mind. Awesome! That would definitely help with fine-tuning future prints.

BTW - I truly wish you the best of luck in the direction you're alluding to. I've found that what usually qualifies as "Masonic History" is too often flights of fancy supported by documents that are further flights of fancy, etc.. The biggest challenge Freemasonic Historians face is knowing when what they are reading is actual history rather than fabrications designed to further support what was clearly intended to be taken as allegorical lore.

The book is a first wave effort to get through that mire to see what existed behind the smokescreen of 300 years of fabrications. I'm hoping it will lay a foundation for further research with what this book made effort to unmask. ;-)

Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2016 at 11:28am

Ah! A "historic" critique is more of what you had in mind. Awesome! That would definitely help with fine-tuning future prints.

BTW - I truly wish you the best of luck in the direction you're alluding to. I've found that what usually qualifies as "Masonic History" is too often flights of fancy supported by documents that are further flights of fancy, etc.. The biggest challenge Freemasonic Historians face is knowing when what they are reading is actual history rather than fabrications designed to further support what was clearly intended to be taken as allegorical lore.

The book is a first wave effort to get through that mire to see what existed behind the smokescreen of 300 years of fabrications. I'm hoping it will lay a foundation for further research with what this book made effort to unmask. ;-)

Yes, an objective historical critique. So in order to perfect my ashlar even further, I will send my opinion to you via private mail for your personal perusal.

Also, I would like to ask a personal favor from you regarding the Life Coach position. Thanx!
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2016 at 4:05pm

Yes, an objective historical critique. So in order to perfect my ashlar even further, I will send my opinion to you via private mail for your personal perusal.

Also, I would like to ask a personal favor from you regarding the Life Coach position. Thanx!

Thank you for the courtesy.

I shall put a feeler out on your PM to see if I can find out any more info for you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic