Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saint John the Evangelist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saint John the Evangelist
    Posted: June/21/2016 at 6:43pm
In another thread, I mentioned that the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts honors Saint John the Evangelist every December 27 with the "Feast of Saint John" at Grand Lodge in Boston. It is at this event that Grand Lodge Officers for Massachusetts are installed.

Do any other Grand Lodges do anything similar in the way of honoring saint John the Evangelist?
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2016 at 2:24pm
As a freemason, his moral standards are what is important to me. Not so much in regards to his religious stature. The latter is up to someone of a certain faith to observe.

Remember, masonry is not a religion. It is a mix of men from all walks of life. Not everyone sees saint john in the same way on a religious level.
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2016 at 8:03pm
All I was asking was if other Grand Lodges in addition to Massachusetts have any events honoring Saint John the Evangelist, not the propriety of any such event.

I don't think Saint John the Evangelist was a Freemason. In my Grand Lodge, we regard him as a Patron of Freemasonry.

I am a little perplexed by your post. It does not seem to be related in any way to the question I asked. 
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 9:49am
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

All I was asking was if other Grand Lodges in addition to Massachusetts have any events honoring Saint John the Evangelist, not the propriety of any such event.

I don't think Saint John the Evangelist was a Freemason. In my Grand Lodge, we regard him as a Patron of Freemasonry.

I am a little perplexed by your post. It does not seem to be related in any way to the question I asked. 
I replied under you, but not at you. I was replying to the OP.

I'm not suggesting he was a freemason. I'm merely saying masons emulate who he was and not his religious status.
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 11:19am
I guess that's part of why I am confused- in this thread I am the OP...

Oh well you clarified your post, but I'd still like to know if other GL's have events in honor of or related to Saint John the Evangelist.
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2016 at 7:18am

I guess that's part of why I am confused- in this thread I am the OP...

Oh well you clarified your post, but I'd still like to know if other GL's have events in honor of or related to Saint John the Evangelist.
I apologize. I thought Grimore was the OP for some strange reason. Force of habit maybe? :p

Our GL does not do anything official. It is on the calendar though.
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2016 at 7:25pm
... I'm glad ya'll got that straight ...

Now,  I don't know of any GL in the US that has any type of celebration either of the St. Johns days.   ... I think this is mostly due to the days falling among large family holidays.     ... Dec 27th: Christmas ... and June 24th is between Memorial Day and July 4th. A month generally used by many for the yearly family vacations.  Also, many Lodges go 'dark' in June.

I would suggest that June 24th might be a good time for a Lodge to host a 'Table Lodge' as a small fund raiser for Master Masons in their area.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2016 at 6:44am
In Pennsylvania, both Grand Lodge officers and the officers of the individual lodges traditionally assume their offices on that day for the ensuing Masonic year. Nothing else is celebrated on that day.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2016 at 11:57am
Maybe I should clarify- the GL of Massachusetts calls it "The Feast of Saint John." I've only been twice but as I recall there are no other mentions of Saint John the Evagnelist at the event. So it may be Saint John the Evangelist in name only,
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2016 at 8:58am

Maybe I should clarify- the GL of Massachusetts calls it "The Feast of Saint John." I've only been twice but as I recall there are no other mentions of Saint John the Evagnelist at the event. So it may be Saint John the Evangelist in name only,

Thank you Droche,

My tour of the Grand Lodge of New England here in Boston on Tremont street last year showed a large, beautiful, and very opulent lodge hall with twenty foot statues of Benjamin Franklin, Athena, then St. John the Evangelist and St. John the Baptist side by side. This Grand Lodge in Boston takes the Feast of St. John seriously, or so I was told by my tour guide (a college age and very polite young man).
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic