Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Define SOUL? Do only humans have one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2016 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

The soul, like gods, and religion in general; is an invention of the human mind.  Humans have a well documented propensity toward wishful thinking.

So the soul, like other abstractions, is simply the invention of the human mind?

Abstractions such as fear, love, courage, and hate don't exist - of course there is no hate in the world since hate is an invention of the human mind?

Other inventions of the human mind: Tubal cain, Solomon, Hiram abif, the Great Architect of the Universe, the transmigration of souls, Moses, Joshua, Abraham, and/or Jesus are all abstractions and not real - just inventions of the human mind/abstractions?
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by coach coach wrote:

Originally posted by GrimoireA3 GrimoireA3 wrote:

What is the Soul? How does one define it? How do you prove there is or is not a Soul? And do only humans have a soul?? Thanks!

What is a soul? It is something that one can sell and for an extremely undervalued price. What's more, it is done moment to moment by far too many.

Yes, it is done by actors and actresses in Hollyweird on a daily bases.
pointwithinacircle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pointwithinacircle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2016 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

Agreed. My post was based on my definition of "soul" which may or not be the same as others.
If two people do not share a common definition of the words they are using then they are not really having a conversation since they are not talking about the same thing. 
Words are symbols which point toward concepts arranged in patterns to communicate meaning.
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2016 at 1:43pm
Soul as in going up to some cloud in the sky where I help my family members win bets when called upon?

No ....

Soul as something beyond the universe?

Sure, I'll entertain it.

Edited by BroScubaSteve - August/15/2016 at 1:43pm
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2016 at 7:14pm
Agreed. My post was based on my definition of "soul" which may or not be the same as others.
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2016 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

No one has yet answered me the second part of the question whether only humans have a soul. I believe all living things have a part that survives and continues after the death of the physical part, which is my definition of "soul." I have no evidence for this, it is just a gut feeling.

It may be that, sans a working definition, it's still an ambiguous question.
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

Books I Wrote | My FB Wall
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2016 at 4:05pm
No one has yet answered me the second part of the question whether only humans have a soul. I believe all living things have a part that survives and continues after the death of the physical part, which is my definition of "soul." I have no evidence for this, it is just a gut feeling.
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2016 at 6:05am
Originally posted by pointwithinacircle pointwithinacircle wrote:

My best guess is that the names soul and spirit are symbols for the two great aspects of the human psyche. 

I disagree with your guess. One is part of the soul. The other helps manifest it, but it is not the soul.

Edited by coach - August/14/2016 at 6:12am

pointwithinacircle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointwithinacircle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2016 at 10:46pm
My best guess is that the names soul and spirit are symbols for the two great aspects of the human psyche.  
Words are symbols which point toward concepts arranged in patterns to communicate meaning.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2016 at 6:06pm
Touche Coach, indeed it can...LOL!  Our brains are powerful organs.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2016 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

The soul, like gods, and religion in general; is an invention of the human mind.  Humans have a well documented propensity toward wishful thinking.

The same thing can be said of "reality" and "the mind".

Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2016 at 2:44pm
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2016 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by GrimoireA3 GrimoireA3 wrote:

What is the Soul? How does one define it? How do you prove there is or is not a Soul? And do only humans have a soul?? Thanks!

What is a soul? It is something that one can sell and for an extremely undervalued price. What's more, it is done moment to moment by far too many.

Edited by coach - August/13/2016 at 12:38pm

Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2016 at 10:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic