Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat did Bacon mean by "Idols of the Theater"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
coach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2016 at 8:36am
Originally posted by edwmax edwmax wrote:

Originally posted by GrimoireA3 GrimoireA3 wrote:

Does Idols of the Theater mean that plays and acts and acting are all bogus?

You asked a question WITHOUT any context of usage or reference from where the term(s) were specifically used by Bacon.    That's Trolling!    ... From your last post and therein reference to , it appears to me you were looking for answers or lines of thought to use as your own argument in another forum discussion about Bacon and his use of Idols.   ... Again that is Trolling.
I'm delighted to know that I am not the only one seeing this.
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

Books I Wrote | My FB Wall
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2016 at 8:34am

Now that other forum members here sees your question for what it is, I'll make my reply. .... You asked a question WITHOUT any context of usage or reference from where the term(s) were specifically used by Bacon.    That's Trolling!    ... From your last post and therein reference to , it appears to me you were looking for answers or lines of thought to use as your own argument in another forum discussion about Bacon and his use of Idols.   ... Again that is Trolling.

Edited by edwmax - September/02/2016 at 8:37am
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Adept? View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2016 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by coach coach wrote:

Yes, I could. But that would be redundant and, in my expert opinion, at this point you have been weighed, tested, assessed and found unworthy of any further effort than to continually point out that you have no good intention or value to this forum.

You're welcome.

Shocked Shocked  Shocked ROTFLLOL
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
coach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2016 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

...I would like to know how it relates to Freemasonry, if at all.

Two phrases apply:

1) Because Tradition
2) Because Grand Lodge

droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2016 at 8:50pm
I admit- I don't understand the question and don't know the answer to it. Never heard of "Idol's of the Theater" and have only vaguely heard of Sir Francis Bacon. So I have read what has been written about Idols of the Theater in this thread but it is difficult for me to understand without some context. Could someone put it in to some sort of context? I know I could look it up but if you want to discuss, then let's discuss. Give me some context about Idols of the Theater. I would like to know how it relates to Freemasonry, if at all.
coach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2016 at 9:38am

No I am discussing.  ...But none of this was mentioned in answer to my topic question.  Why?  Again, gentlemen if you don't understand the question or don't know the answer to the question - just admit it.

Enjoy the silence. Trolling is not what I want to support. You're no longer worth commenting on.

GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2016 at 9:32am

...Could you explain it in you [sic] own expert opinion rather than rely on an unknown author used by Wikipedia? Thank you.

Yes, I could. But that would be redundant and, in my expert opinion, at this point you have been weighed, tested, assessed and found unworthy of any further effort than to continually point out that you have no good intention or value to this forum.

You're welcome.

In other words, you don't know?

You're still trolling...

No I am discussing.  And Wikipedia is not a legitimate source for an answer to a concept.  So I went to Amazon.com and received the answer I was hoping to get from Mastermason.com forums where stodgy Baconian empiricism 'Idols' was first mentioned.  Sir Francis Bacon was more empirical than Hume (if that is possible) which is as dangerous as dogmatism.  But I had to go somewhere else to read both positive and negative comments on Baconian Idolotry (which has very little to do with debate, and more on the scientific method as a comment on the syllogism as found in Aristotle's ORGANON).

But none of this was mentioned in answer to my topic question.  Why?  Again, gentlemen if you don't understand the question or don't know the answer to the question - just admit it.
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
coach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2016 at 9:22am

...Could you explain it in you [sic] own expert opinion rather than rely on an unknown author used by Wikipedia? Thank you.

You're welcome.

You're still trolling...

Edited by coach - September/01/2016 at 9:24am

Banned
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2016 at 8:22am

You're welcome.

coach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2016 at 6:35am

You're welcome.

Banned
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2016 at 5:54pm

Nope.

Idola theatri (singular Idolum theatri) is a type of tendency towards logical fallacy or error, normally translated as "Idols of the Theatre." The Latin was coined by Sir Francis Bacon in his Novum Organum—one of the earliest treatises arguing the case for the logic and method of modern science.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idola_theatri

Idols of the Theater are those which are due to sophistry and false learning. These idols are built up in the field of theology, philosophy, and science, and because they are defended by learned groups are accepted without question by the masses. When false philosophies have been cultivated and have attained a wide sphere of dominion in the world of the intellect they are no longer questioned. False superstructures are raised on false foundations, and in the end systems barren of merit parade their grandeur on the stage of the world.

http://www.sirbacon.org/links/4idols.htm

Not to be confused, as you have here by interpreting "theater" as you have, with Idols of the Marketplace.

Idols of the Marketplace are errors arising from the false significance bestowed upon words, and in this classification Bacon anticipated the modern science of semantics. According to him it is the popular belief that men form their thoughts into words in order to communicate their opinions to others, but often words arise as substitutes for thoughts and men think they have won an argument because they have out talked their opponents. The constant impact of words variously used without attention to their true meaning only in turn condition the understanding and breed fallacies. Words often betray their own purpose, obscuring the very thoughts they are designed to express.

What part of "nope" and "Not to be confused, as you have here by interpreting "theater" as you have, with Idols of the Marketplace" did you not understand?

The typically vague and obtuse Wikipedia part. Could you explain it in you own expert opinion rather than rely on an unknown author used by Wikipedia? Thank you.
coach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2016 at 12:11pm

Nope.

Idola theatri (singular Idolum theatri) is a type of tendency towards logical fallacy or error, normally translated as "Idols of the Theatre." The Latin was coined by Sir Francis Bacon in his Novum Organum—one of the earliest treatises arguing the case for the logic and method of modern science.

Idols of the Theater are those which are due to sophistry and false learning. These idols are built up in the field of theology, philosophy, and science, and because they are defended by learned groups are accepted without question by the masses. When false philosophies have been cultivated and have attained a wide sphere of dominion in the world of the intellect they are no longer questioned. False superstructures are raised on false foundations, and in the end systems barren of merit parade their grandeur on the stage of the world.

Not to be confused, as you have here by interpreting "theater" as you have, with Idols of the Marketplace.

Idols of the Marketplace are errors arising from the false significance bestowed upon words, and in this classification Bacon anticipated the modern science of semantics. According to him it is the popular belief that men form their thoughts into words in order to communicate their opinions to others, but often words arise as substitutes for thoughts and men think they have won an argument because they have out talked their opponents. The constant impact of words variously used without attention to their true meaning only in turn condition the understanding and breed fallacies. Words often betray their own purpose, obscuring the very thoughts they are designed to express.

What part of "nope" and "Not to be confused, as you have here by interpreting "theater" as you have, with Idols of the Marketplace" did you not understand?

Edited by coach - August/31/2016 at 12:12pm

Banned
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2016 at 10:53am

Nope.

Could you kindly put it in your own words?
coach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2016 at 6:22am

Nope.

Banned
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2016 at 3:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic