Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What do your Lodges do for your 50 year members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do your Lodges do for your 50 year members

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do your Lodges do for your 50 year members
    Posted: September/03/2016 at 2:12pm
What do you guys do, or what does your Grand lodge do for your senior members.

Is it just a small pin and a certificate?

Shouldn't we do more?
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 7:31am
In my lodge, they receive the 50 year pin and certificate which is presented to them by the DDGM on behalf of the Grand Master.  They are also exempt from paying dues.  I think that most lodges in PA exempt them from dues. A few years ago I had the privilege of putting the 50 year pin on my father.  In just a few more years my father will be receiving his 60 year pin.  Dad is 92 and very alert and still goes bowling every week.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 7:57am
In Massachusetts its a pin and a certificate. Should we do more? I dont know... maybe. Any suggestions?
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 8:00am
50 year Certificate, pin, and apron furnished the Grand Lodge. Also, the 50 year Mason is granted Emeritus e Membership (exempt for dues) and is entitled to receive the Grand Hailing Honors when in Lodge.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 8:21am
I have seen Masons get a 50 year pin who are not nor have they ever been active. Years alone, in my mind, don't warrant special treatment. I love my father beyond belief but he averages one lodge meeting per decade. If he keeps this patter he'll have less than a dozen meetings in 50 years.
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 9:35am
Goomba

Interesting point and well made.

Years without service are nothing [or near nothing]

What could we do for a brother who had 50 years and lots of service-that makes him far better than the guy that does not attend.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 9:52am
I think men like that Bob not only don't want anything. But they will refuse to much fuss. I really like the idea of a nice apron. Maybe a ring as we tend to wear rings more than pins.

Living in the DC area.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 10:42am
The question arises, what makes a good Mason? I have always been taught that family comes first, then one's work, then Masonry. So, a man becomes a Mason; joins every appendant and concordant body in sight; becomes master of this and master of that; grand high whatever of this and most illustrious noble of that;  gets honorary degrees, crosses of honor and meritorius service medals; ends up getting divorced in the process and his kids won't join because of all the time he spends away from his family and they even resent Masonry. I realize what I have just described is extreme but I have seen these things happen.

On the other hand, a man joins with the most good intentions but puts his family and work first and comes to lodge when he can which might not be often. I submit that this type of man is a better Mason than the other described, yet, he will receive no recognition simply for being a good man.

Why not recognize members for what they do when they do it? Why wait 50 years? When you think about it, 50 years is just another day. I support the 50 year pin and certificate, but there are so many intangibles as to what makes a good Mason, and in all too many cases the wrong people get the accolades.

Edited by droche - September/04/2016 at 10:44am
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 11:18am
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

The question arises, what makes a good Mason? I have always been taught that family comes first, then one's work, then Masonry. So, a man becomes a Mason; joins every appendant and concordant body in sight; becomes master of this and master of that; grand high whatever of this and most illustrious noble of that;  gets honorary degrees, crosses of honor and meritorius service medals; ends up getting divorced in the process and his kids won't join because of all the time he spends away from his family and they even resent Masonry. I realize what I have just described is extreme but I have seen these things happen.

On the other hand, a man joins with the most good intentions but puts his family and work first and comes to lodge when he can which might not be often. I submit that this type of man is a better Mason than the other described, yet, he will receive no recognition simply for being a good man.

Why not recognize members for what they do when they do it? Why wait 50 years? When you think about it, 50 years is just another day. I support the 50 year pin and certificate, but there are so many intangibles as to what makes a good Mason, and in all too many cases the wrong people get the accolades.

Absolutely brilliant!

Living in the DC area.
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 1:22pm
droche

thanks for that insight.  I do 50 year pin ceremonies, and I am doing one Tuesday night for a man I know nothing about.  He is the recipient of the award but from another state, and I am doing a courtesy for them/him.

It's hard to talk about a 50 year man when I know nothing about his past or his efforts.

But the information you supplied is viable for all.

My parents broke up as a result of my father "living" Masonry  so I know of what you speak.

Thanks
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2016 at 5:38pm

In Massachusetts its a pin and a certificate. Should we do more? I dont know... maybe. Any suggestions?

Over 50 years? How about a free burial??
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2016 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by GrimoireA3 GrimoireA3 wrote:

Over 50 years? How about a free burial??

In Massachusetts, one of the things a prospective member is told is that Masonry provides no direct benefits to its members such as insurance etc., so I don't think free burials are in the cards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic